I don't like the Old Testament. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I don't like the Old Testament.

I think it confuses things. Too many circular references, too many vague references, too much interpretation to make it fit a preconceived meaning, too many omitted details, too much confusing language, and waaaay too many "thou"s, "thy"s, and "thine"s.

If this is the Age of Grace, why don't we disregard the Law that existed before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 04:38 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Re: I don't like the Old Testament.

Quote:
Originally posted by 46Tbird
I think it confuses things. Too many circular references, too many vague references, too much interpretation to make it fit a preconceived meaning, too many omitted details, too much confusing language, and waaaay too many "thou"s, "thy"s, and "thine"s.

If this is the Age of Grace, why don't we disregard the Law that existed before?
Because if we didn't have the law then people would just run around doing as they please and repenting everyday just to make themselves feel better.

I dont like that guy, I am just going to kill him so I dont have to deal with his stupidity anymore. OH GOD! Im sorry for killing that guy, I will never do it again.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
OH GOD! Im sorry for killing that guy, I will never do it again.
If a convicted murderer says those exact words and accepts Jesus as his Savior, he will have eternal life.

True statement?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Time Served

Quote:
If a convicted murderer says those exact words and accepts Jesus as his Savior, he will have eternal life.

True statement?
If he accepts Jesus as his Savior, then all of those other words don't matter. Murder is no different than any other sin in the Lord's eyes.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

So throw out the OT already!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Time Served

the Law was created for man, and Jesus came to fulfill the Law. Also, if you read Isaiah, you will see the prophecies for the Savior to come.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 05:46 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
So throw out the OT already!
OK, so Danny wants everything to be legal with no laws whatsoever. Could you imagine what kind of world we would live in? Go ahead throw it out and do whatever you want. But when you repent you better mean it or there will be hell to pay. Literally.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Man, you talk to me with the harshest of language. I'm trying to learn something.

If we live in the Age of Grace, why are we still going to the OT for direction? Is there any scripture that says explicitly that we should continue to live under Old Law?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 07:12 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Man, you talk to me with the harshest of language. I'm trying to learn something.

If we live in the Age of Grace, why are we still going to the OT for direction? Is there any scripture that says explicitly that we should continue to live under Old Law?
Mat 5:17 Think not that I (Jesus) am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven

Infact, you can continue to read Matthew 5 all the way through to verse 48. It talks about the law and how it applies to us today.

I'm not trying to be harsh Danny. But where would we be without law? How much immorality is God supposed to take? I have grace towards my kids but there is also a point to where they have to be punished for what they have done. I set guidelines for my kids because there are certain things I dont want them to do, regardless of how much grace I will show them. The law is there to protect us.

Disclaimer:
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 05:01 AM

Quote:

Learn away Danny!

Matt 22:37-40 Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." NIV

Rom 13:8-10 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 10 Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. NIV

John 1:17-18 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. NIV

We are currently in the age of Grace, but prior to Jesus' death and resurrection, we were in the age of the Law. There are a total of 7 "ages" or dispensations, ending with the Age of the Ages - eternity future!

Rom 5:13 for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. NIV
- The Law brings to light or sin.

Rom 5:20-21 The law was added so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, 21 so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. NIV

Rom 6:14-18 For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace. 15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! 16 Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey-whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. 18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. NIV

Rom 8:3-4 For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, 4 in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit. NIV

Gal 2:16 know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified. NIV

Gal 2:21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" NIV

Gal 3:21-22 Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. 22 But the Scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe. NIV

Gal 3:24-25 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law. NIV

Gal 5:4-5 You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. NIV

1 Tim 1:8-11 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9 We also know that law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for adulterers and perverts, for slave traders and liars and perjurers-and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me. NIV

Heb 7:19 (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God. NIV
- This explains (or sums up) the purpose of the NT, it is a new anb better covenant between God and man, we are now justified only by faith in Jesus Christ and it is His righteousness that is mine!

P.S. - get a different translation like the NIV or NLT to get rid of the thee, thou, thy problem - it will really help!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 05:27 AM
98 SVT Cobra

We can also learn from what happened in the days of Noah before there was law. What did everyone act like? Out of the entire worlds population God found only 1 righteous man. The only reason Noah's family was saved was because of Gods grace, otherwise I feel they would have perished also.
Quote:
Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Gen 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
Gen 6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
Gen 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
Thou = You
Thee = You
Thy = Your
Thine = Your(s)

... simple.

Last edited by MoonDog; 03-02-2004 at 05:41 AM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

MoonDog, I'm not saying I don't understand the "thees, thous, and thines", just saying they are a pain.
Quote:
Originally posted by four5.0snomore
Rom 6:14-18 For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace. 15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! 16 Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey-whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. 18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. NIV
This is what I was looking for, thanks.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 08:26 AM

Quote:
This is what I was looking for, thanks.
You must then be looking for Jesus, shall I show you the way...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 10:07 AM

Quote:
You must then be looking for Jesus, shall I show you the way...
A Prayer to Know Christ

“Dear God, I believe Jesus was who He claimed to be – Your Son,
and that He proved it by rising from death.
Jesus, thank You for dying for me on the Cross. I realize
That only Your love could save me and I accept Your free gift of salvation.
I want to get to know You and follow Your plan for my life.
As much as I know how, I ask You to come into my life. Amen.”
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 05:03 AM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
A Prayer to Know Christ

“Dear God, I believe Jesus was who He claimed to be – Your Son,
and that He proved it by rising from death.
Jesus, thank You for dying for me on the Cross. I realize
That only Your love could save me and I accept Your free gift of salvation.
I want to get to know You and follow Your plan for my life.
As much as I know how, I ask You to come into my life. Amen.”
That whole general savior prayer, you say at the end of chapel services in private schools, or church is a bunch of croc. If you want to talk to him just say it in your words. He'll allways listen and you'll feel better if say it how u want to.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 08:49 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowLX
That whole general savior prayer, you say at the end of chapel services in private schools, or church is a bunch of croc. If you want to talk to him just say it in your words. He'll allways listen and you'll feel better if say it how u want to.
I wouldn't say its a croc. Most people getting saved for the first time have no idea what they are supposed to say or how to say it. The "sinners prayer" is said at church or wherever to help those that know that they are in need of a Savior but aren't sure on what to say. As long as you mean in your heart what you are saying it doesn't matter if it is in your own words or if your just repeating the words of a pastor, the outcome is still the same.

Disclaimer:
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 03:54 AM
Wolverines!!!

I guess, but I nevver thought there should be a generalized prayer since, everyones feelings and thoughts are different. IMO
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 10:23 PM
"To Punish and Enslave.."

The old testament contains the wonderful history of God's people. Of course I like history. I spent much of my time when I first committed by life to Jesus. It was easier to read then the new testament. I didn't like reading the King James version for the same reason you mentioned. My wife gave me a bible that had the King James on one half of the page and the Living Bible on the other. I found reading the living bible much easier and I was able to get interested in reading as a result. So, I highly encourage you to go to a Christian book store and find a version that is comfortable to read. Then find a book in the bible that interests you and read a chapter a day. This will take you less than 5 minutes. Soon you find it easier to read and you will want to read more chapters. I also recommend expressing your faith in Jesus as the son of God. However you want to do so but the key is believing he is who he says he is. I would pray before reading and ask God to give you the spirit of wisdom and revelation so that you can know him better. Be easy on yourself if you miss a reading. Just keep picking it up because it truly is the living word and the best way to cultivate an intimate relationship with Jesus. If you find a good church or even a bible study then this will also benefit you. However, just take a step at a time and remember, the Christian life is a life of faith and it is not a sprint it is a marathon race.

God's Speed brother!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement