Do you prefer a big church or little church - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
The first, the original

Question Do you prefer a big church or little church

Just curious. Having attended a 1500+ congregation, I am much happier in a 200 - 500. Not too big that your out of touch with most of the people. Still enough people to get the work done. A lot of big ones seem like a lot of "show" and the pastor isn't very accessible if at all.

I visited Saddleback in California and was blown away by the size. Not my cup of tea. Seems like the bigger they are, the more of a "social club" they become. Not always, but to a lot of people it may be the only reason they keep going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Smile

I prefer little ones. People tend to get "lost" in large ones.

Just my little ol' opinion.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 12:50 PM
98 SVT Cobra

I guess that is what is cool about mine. It has a membership of about 8,000 with around 2,000 showing up for each of the 3 services on Sunday. My pastor encourages everyone to get involved in someway. He is a very personable guy that takes the time to talk to you when ever he can and will even joke around during church outings. The church as a whole is very big on building relationships amoung the body. Hence the name Covenant Church.

I grew up in a small church and perfer the larger once since for me and my family it seems to have more avaliable to us then just your normal weekly service.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Boost is Good

Re: Do you prefer a big church or little church

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
Just curious. Having attended a 1500+ congregation, I am much happier in a 200 - 500. Not too big that your out of touch with most of the people. Still enough people to get the work done. A lot of big ones seem like a lot of "show" and the pastor isn't very accessible if at all.

I visited Saddleback in California and was blown away by the size. Not my cup of tea. Seems like the bigger they are, the more of a "social club" they become. Not always, but to a lot of people it may be the only reason they keep going.
I think each have their benifits. But I think the only way a large one is affective is with small groups.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 03:27 PM

Re: Re: Do you prefer a big church or little church

Quote:
Originally posted by 281R
I think each have their benifits. But I think the only way a large one is affective is with small groups.
Very good point!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 03:29 PM

I prefer the small ones as I pastor a small one of less than 100!

No, I am only kidding - any church no matter what the size can be effective and healthy. Of course a church in the midst of 100,000 probably should grow to be bigger than the church in the midst of 1,000, so that is a factor too!

I am in favor of any church that is healthy, stays with the Word, and is seeing lives changed by the power of Christ.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 03:42 PM
IA2

We are going to a larger church at the moment. We wanted a church that had ministry designed for kids & teens so that they would have something more interesting to do than fidget on a pew through a sermon.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 11:28 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

I'm against monsterious churches like Prestonwood Baptist . . . they're a Profited Corporation, not a non-profit church.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 11:30 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by utdbear
My church offers a class called 'Before You Say I Do', its a Christian pre-marital counseling class, here is the link:

Before You Say I Do
The Catholic Church has been doing that for years . . . it's when One of the people in the couple isn't catholic that people think they're forcing you into the church . . . They're just preventing future divorce
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 06:47 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by Who Needs 8
I'm against monsterious churches like Prestonwood Baptist . . . they're a Profited Corporation, not a non-profit church.
Dont you really mean that you dont prefer monstrous churches? To say that you are against them would imply that you have some short of hidden agenda against them. And just because they are big does not mean that they take in a profit. Maybe the teaching is better there then the church down the street, thats why people go there. I dont think God cares how big the church is, He cares where the heart of the church is.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 09:06 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Got any evidence of profit-making activities going on? If you do, I am sure just about every federal agency in earshot would be very interested in what you have to say. However, that being said, I am pretty sure the amount of evidence you have is hovering right around the 0 mark, which makes your comments both uneducated and un-Christ-like(if you are a believer, I haven't seen any of your posts so I don't know). I like my church because of 1) the heart of the people, and 2) The reach of the church. I work in the media ministry at my church, and currently our broadcast is seen in 73 different countries around the world, and that I have a part in seeing that many people hearing the truth of Christ is both humbling and exhilarating. You might want to try a big church sometime, you just might find that the heart of the church just might be as big as its congregation.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Boost is Good

Quote:
It could be true, or it could not be... I would just ask the question if you have been involved in that particular church to know? if not it is good to give them the benefit of the doubt unless you know something I dont know... But the combinded income of big churches can do a lot of good in this world, especially overseas, and that is where I see large churches or Christian organizations being a big help. I just wouldnt judge Prestonwood unless you can back your statement up, just my 2 cents
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 09:37 PM
Boost is Good

Quote:
Got any evidence of profit-making activities going on? If you do, I am sure just about every federal agency in earshot would be very interested in what you have to say. However, that being said, I am pretty sure the amount of evidence you have is hovering right around the 0 mark, which makes your comments both uneducated and un-Christ-like(if you are a believer, I haven't seen any of your posts so I don't know). I like my church because of 1) the heart of the people, and 2) The reach of the church. I work in the media ministry at my church, and currently our broadcast is seen in 73 different countries around the world, and that I have a part in seeing that many people hearing the truth of Christ is both humbling and exhilarating. You might want to try a big church sometime, you just might find that the heart of the church just might be as big as its congregation.
I think "who needs 8" didnt truely mean it as an attack, I think he just dosent understand why Prestonwood has become sucessfull. He seems a pretty cool guy from other post... I dunno,,, maybe I'm just talking out of my a** j/k
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Chick with a Dick

I'd like to start out in a large church and then when I'm older I'll probably want to be involved with a smaller one. Duff isn't very social and I looooooooove big crowds. Being lost inside a congregation wouldn't be too bad for him and I'd enjoy the challenge of meeting people within the chaos. I don't want to be preached to anyways so listening and taking notes from the back row wouldn't hurt me in the least.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 10:51 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
Dont you really mean that you dont prefer monstrous churches? To say that you are against them would imply that you have some short of hidden agenda against them. And just because they are big does not mean that they take in a profit. Maybe the teaching is better there then the church down the street, thats why people go there. I dont think God cares how big the church is, He cares where the heart of the church is.
Did you ever go to a car show there?? If you wanted to get a trophy, you had to go to a service first

It's the way they force people that is the reason they're so big.

I've mentioned this to members of the First Baptist Church of Carrollton, but I've been told by other members of that church that I'm going to hell because I don't go there.

Yeah, that's going to win me over
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 10:56 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Well, they sure do make a profit for all the construction companies in the Dallas Area, and also Dennis Rodman

Sure would be better for a church to send all that money to the hungry
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 04:07 AM
Target Practice

If you go to a massive church like that you might as well watch the pastors on tv in the morning and stay in your pajamas.

White Hot Media
VENUECITY.com
Carmod.net
The Standard Issue <-RIP
SJB 3.29.85-1.24.08
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 08:43 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Did you ever go to a car show there?? If you wanted to get a trophy, you had to go to a service first

I've mentioned this to members of the First Baptist Church of Carrollton, but I've been told by other members of that church that I'm going to hell because I don't go there.

NO, I cant say that I have ever been to a car show where service was required to get a trophy. When ever we have stuff like that it is always on a Saturday. We have done car shows, bike rallys, volleyball tournaments, invited nascar guests and other sports figures. I think when a church does stuff like that it should be for fun and used to help draw people into the church, not make people go to church, that doesn't save lives.

I would never tell anyone that if they did not go to my church they would go to hell. Telling people that will solve nothing and only push them away. Besides, people already know if they are going to hell or not so why tell them.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 10:04 AM
Waddell72

Everytime I go to a church with a large congregation they seem to always be asking for money. They are wanting improve this or that and I understand; however, one must ask is it the church that impresses god or the spirit of those in the church. In the end you see going to church no more makes you religious than standing in your garage makes you a car.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 04:38 PM
IA2

Quote:

I have gone to a car show there, and going inside for the service was not a requirement to win a trophy. Trophies were handed out as a result of the people's voting.

They did, however, shut down the food, the band, and the kid's amusements and such while the service was going on. For about an hour.

After the service it all started back up again.

You have the choice of whether to go in or not. No one forces anyone inside although they do encourage anyone that wants to come on in. I went in because it was really hot that day, a little churchin' up wouldn't hurt me, and I wanted to hear pastor Jack Graham speak.

The car show is a form of community outreach. And a lot of fun. I met wes tarbox & wes rogers and you the time I went.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 04:56 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
The Catholic Church has been doing that for years . . . it's when One of the people in the couple isn't catholic that people think they're forcing you into the church . . . They're just preventing future divorce
Check out Fellowship Church in Grapevine.

Makes Prestonwood look like a Church started up in a strip center.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
Check out Fellowship Church in Grapevine.

Makes Prestonwood look like a Church started up in a strip center.
Thats good, because Prestonwood started in a strip center
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Well, they sure do make a profit for all the construction companies in the Dallas Area, and also Dennis Rodman

Sure would be better for a church to send all that money to the hungry
That still doesn't answer the question I asked earlier. Thats the equivalent of me asking you...you bought all those mods for your car, couldn't you have helped the homeless with that money? Also, Prestonwood domestic missions(which includes feeding homeless, etc )is about 1.5 million dollars, and all totalled up for all missions is about 5 million dollars. But none of that comes from giving, because we just use our 'profits' to do all of that.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 04:06 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Dont let them get you down man. I know several people that go there and they have nothing but good things to say about the church. Some people have absolutely no idea what they are talking about and are probably involed in a "dead" church.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 08:19 AM
Waddell72

You know the two worst subjects to argue about, debate over or make assumptions of, are politics and religion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement