Now why was that thread closed?? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Now why was that thread closed??

I go out of my way to be civil, and it gets locked?? I don't get a chance to respond?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

I was just wondering the same thing.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 01:11 PM
Small Fry

Quote:
Originally posted by Hollywood
I was just wondering the same thing.
Me too.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Chick with a Dick

Quote:
Originally posted by tex
I go out of my way to be civil, and it gets locked?? I don't get a chance to respond?
Why'd you need to go "out of your way"?? Is it THAT hard to be civil on a subject that isn't effecting you directly?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 01:19 PM
The Big Matt

it's hard for Ross to be civil period, he's a freaking* animal

* normally I would cuss, but I'm going out of my way not to
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Girls can too
Why'd you need to go "out of your way"?? Is it THAT hard to be civil on a subject that isn't effecting you directly?
I'm civil in here because that is supposed to be the theme for the forum. Is there a specific reason you choose not to follow that creed, and have twice now attempted to attack me?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Which thread?

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Chick with a Dick

Quote:
Originally posted by tex
I'm civil in here because that is supposed to be the theme for the forum. Is there a specific reason you choose not to follow that creed, and have twice now attempted to attack me?
LOL @ Matt! I'm not attacking you....and I'm sure you're far from scared.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
Which thread?
The other one I started, that was going famously, regarding the origin of faith for you cats.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 08:02 PM
The Alpha Omega Frog

Can we just pick up the topic in this thread.

I was enjoying reading peoples answers and too have pondered why...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger
Can we just pick up the topic in this thread.

I was enjoying reading peoples answers and too have pondered why...
Like she said, start it again.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Retired Gun

Off the wall....

Although I am no perfect Christian by any means I do believe that you should go to Church more often then not. I do not regularly attend but I make it a point to go every once in a while. I don't feel guilty for not going but I do feel the need to ask for forgiveness for the sins I have commited. I know the Bible says that you are supposed to go to Church. I just feel uncomfortable around others that are overwhelmingly(word?) crazy about their beliefs....I just don't like being preached upon or told that what I do or don't do is wrong. I feel that they live their life by the Bible and never really get to enjoy it. That is just my perspective as they probably do feel great enjoyment by doing so. All in all it does make me wonder if I really do get the whole thing? I guess to each is his/her own and as long as they are happy and enjoying life with no big downfalls all is well.
I like the Bible study and the amazing real life stories but just don't get the preaching part. Anybody enlighten me on this?
Shawn
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 01:07 AM
Small Fry

Re: Now why was that thread closed??

Quote:
Originally posted by breadfan35
It's different for all people. Some, do as you say and just believe due to fear of what might happen if they don't. And sometimes you do things in your life and change things in your life all because you just feel empty. And no matter what you do there always seems to be this void that you can't fill. For many people God fills that void.
Quote:
Originally posted by tex
That's the kind of answer I'm looking for, Chris. I'm assuming that you're one of the people that feels empty w/o religion in your life, correct??
I made that statement more in answer to your question (since I've meet people who have come to Christianity that way) than from my own personally experience. I have been around religion all my life, thought I never had it forced on me. I have always had the freedom to choose and think as I want. But when I stray form God, I do feel it in my soul and the feeling gets stronger the more I stray. And I'm not talking about guilt. I do have guilt when I sin, but that's not the feeling I'm talking about. The feeling I get is that of leaving a loving home on bad terms because I wanted things my way, then realizing how important the loving home is and that I need it and should never have left. And I always get accepted back in.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 06:18 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by tex
The other one I started, that was going famously, regarding the origin of faith for you cats.
I only deleted one thread that was in here and it was one by Big Matt. So maybe Jose deleted yours?

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
I only deleted one thread that was in here and it was one by Big Matt. So maybe Jose deleted yours?
It's still there, it's just locked. I'm gonna have to go back and copy your last reply in it, I had several things I wanted to discuss further, based on your responses. I don't have time right now, hopefully this evening, if not, I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Chris, when you say it's akin to leaving a loving family, do you say that because you use the church to fill voids left by your own family?? I'm not implying that you have or had a bad family life, but I know that every family has short comings. If the church is a crutch, in that sense, is that still not a false reason for 'believing?' That would seem as if you're interacting with the church for the sake of interaction, and less because you have a true belief in the basic tenents of religion, and more because you like the people.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 12:11 PM

I chose to ask Jesus Christ to save me for 2 main reasons:

1. I was in a downard spiral of sin, grief and sorrow and came to the realization that I alone could not turn myself around.

2. Jesus Christ came to earth to express the love of God, and I saw that, by faith understood it and accepted it as He loved me, died for me, and wanted a relationship with me. The Holy Spirit gave me a hope and continues to give me help!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Chick with a Dick

Thumbs up

Quote:
IThe feeling I get is that of leaving a loving home on bad terms because I wanted things my way, then realizing how important the loving home is and that I need it and should never have left. And I always get accepted back in.
Great analogy Chris! I totally feel ya!

I don't understand why you'd think church or religion is a crutch tex. It's a pain in the butt some days. Unless you're a glutton for punishment I'd assume it'd be easier to live w/out following the laws of Christianity. Sure you want to like the people in your congregation and enjoy their company. You're there to celebrate life and Christ. Being around those who are just as enthusiastic as you are is awesome!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Thread Kill

Quote:
Originally posted by tex
It's still there, it's just locked. I'm gonna have to go back and copy your last reply in it, I had several things I wanted to discuss further, based on your responses. I don't have time right now, hopefully this evening, if not, I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Chris, when you say it's akin to leaving a loving family, do you say that because you use the church to fill voids left by your own family?? I'm not implying that you have or had a bad family life, but I know that every family has short comings. If the church is a crutch, in that sense, is that still not a false reason for 'believing?' That would seem as if you're interacting with the church for the sake of interaction, and less because you have a true belief in the basic tenents of religion, and more because you like the people.
You just made an entire statement based on an assumption of what he means without letting him respond first. You might understand things better if you let people answer for themselves instead of answering for them as you ask them questions.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Small Fry

Quote:
Originally posted by tex

I am not talking about the church. I do go to church, but I don't depend on the church. And to be honest I don't get involved in the church other than tithing. I don't know anyone personally at my church other than my Father and Step-Mother, but I usually go to a different service than they do and don't see them there. I am speaking only about what I feel between God and myself. When I go astray from God and how I know he wants me to live pursuing my own desires, I can feel myself....how can I say it....as though part of me is gone. I guess I'm not real good at explaining it. I'm not the best speaker.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by 99SVTour
You just made an entire statement based on an assumption of what he means without letting him respond first. You might understand things better if you let people answer for themselves instead of answering for them as you ask them questions.
No, I didn't. How can he respond if I haven't given him anything to respond to? 'If, is that, do you say' are all questioning remarks. He understood that I was asking more questions, why can't you, Jordan? If I don't respond and try to clarify, and to let him know how that sounds to me, how can either of us learn?

Last edited by tex; 02-19-2004 at 05:09 PM.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Quote:
I am not talking about the church. I do go to church, but I don't depend on the church. And to be honest I don't get involved in the church other than tithing. I don't know anyone personally at my church other than my Father and Step-Mother, but I usually go to a different service than they do and don't see them there. I am speaking only about what I feel between God and myself. When I go astray from God and how I know he wants me to live pursuing my own desires, I can feel myself....how can I say it....as though part of me is gone. I guess I'm not real good at explaining it. I'm not the best speaker.
You're a better speaker than you admit to, I understand what you're saying. Sadly, most of the others in here seem to want to attack me for questioning you, even though we're discussing things in a mature manner.

I understand that you feel more complete when you have your chosen religion close to your heart. That makes sense to me, even though I'm sure we view it from different angles.

Last edited by tex; 02-19-2004 at 05:15 PM.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Small Fry

Quote:
Originally posted by tex
You're a better speaker than you admit to, I understand what you're saying. Sadly, most of the others in here seem to want to attack me for questioning you, even though we're discussing things in a mature manner.

I understand that you feel more complete when you have your chosen religion close to your heart. That makes sense to me, even though I'm sure we view it from different angles.
Thanks for the complement Ross.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement