One thing I've never understood... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

One thing I've never understood...

... and so far none of you guys have been able to give me another answer. It seems that every Christian/believer I talk to doesn't have a reason for believing, except that they're afraid of the possible consequences. Isn't that a REALLY shallow reason to believe something??

And don't give me that crap about following laws because there are punishments to fit them. Social laws don't determine how you live your life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:23 PM
Chick with a Dick

Your first thread and it's a heated one. Who would've guessed?

I wasn't taught, forced, or asked to believe. Currently I don't believe out of fear or peer pressure or because it occupies those few moments when I have nothing else to do. I believe because when I was younger I lead a life others couldn't bear or even imagine. When I pleaded I heard His voice many times and He helped me through them. I then began studying the religion and chose it as my own. He definitely didn't lie to me when He said I'd rise above those experience.

We aren't devote Christians who attend Church every week but we try to live a good life and believe that with each day we'll grow into stronger Christians. Our daughter is devote. She CHOSE to be that way at an early age. She found an interest deeper than my own and began studying it. It's why we put her in a Christian school. Who knows why, with smartalek parents like Duff and me, she's such a headstrong Christian...but I have FAITH that she's made the right choice in her religion and hopefully one day she'll help save me.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Girls can too
It's a very simple question, and very religious based, what's your problem?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Small Fry

It's different for all people. Some, do as you say and just believe due to fear of what might happen if they don't. And sometimes you do things in your life and change things in your life all because you just feel empty. And no matter what you do there always seems to be this void that you can't fill. For many people God fills that void.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by breadfan35
It's different for all people. Some, do as you say and just believe due to fear of what might happen if they don't. And sometimes you do things in your life and change things in your life all because you just feel empty. And no matter what you do there always seems to be this void that you can't fill. For many people God fills that void.
That's the kind of answer I'm looking for, Chris. I'm assuming that you're one of the people that feels empty w/o religion in your life, correct??
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Re: One thing I've never understood...

Quote:
Originally posted by tex
... and so far none of you guys have been able to give me another answer. It seems that every Christian/believer I talk to doesn't have a reason for believing, except that they're afraid of the possible consequences. Isn't that a REALLY shallow reason to believe something??

And don't give me that crap about following laws because there are punishments to fit them. Social laws don't determine how you live your life.
Let's see if for once you and I can have an intelligent discussion without the degredation.

We all have reasons for believing. Personally I see God working in my life. I have my ups and downs, I sin, I get angry, sometimes things happen and get upset with God. But I do have a love for God because I see that he stands by His word. He's not my personal superhero and I don't expect Him to be. I expect him to do what He said in the Bible.

In my believing the Bible I am also conscious of Heaven and Hell. I believe that there is reward. I'm also in this for the reward. And postively I want to avoid Hell! Is it shallow? Maybe by human wisdom but, when the Creator of everything says "this I how I made things" then I believe.

Tex- I'm 31 yrs old man. I have been in the military and around the world. I have had wild sex, I've gotten drunk everyweekend, heck I was almost a Male stripper! And I was raised in the Church. My belief is what it is today, because I searched for my answers. I didnt' go to church for almost 5 yrs while I was finding my answers. I partied till the crack of dawn on Sat. nights and told my roomate to be quiet Sunday morning while he got dressed for church. I've found nothing as good as God.

How can you say that social laws don't determine how you live your life? Do you wilingly give the gov. money to register your car? Do you willingly pay taxes? Without social law and the reprecussions, there would be anarchy. This is a Historical fact.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Chick with a Dick

Quote:
Originally posted by tex
It's a very simple question, and very religious based, what's your problem?
It's a heated simple question. Either way I answered it, didn't I?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Along for the ride

Quote:
Originally posted by Girls can too

I wasn't taught, forced, or asked to believe. Currently I don't believe out of fear or peer pressure or because it occupies those few moments when I have nothing else to do. I believe because when I was younger I lead a life others couldn't bear or even imagine. When I pleaded I heard His voice many times and He helped me through them. I then began studying the religion and chose it as my own. He definitely didn't lie to me when He said I'd rise above those experience.

We aren't devote Christians who attend Church every week but we try to live a good life and believe that with each day we'll grow into stronger Christians. Our daughter is devote. She CHOSE to be that way at an early age. She found an interest deeper than my own and began studying it. It's why we put her in a Christian school. Who knows why, with smartalek parents like Duff and me, she's such a headstrong Christian...but I have FAITH that she's made the right choice in her religion and hopefully one day she'll help save me.
i just wanted to comment Nic that just because you don't go to church every week doesn't necessarily mean you aren't a devoted christian. don't sell yourself short like that. to me being devoted means living as passionately and close to Jesus Christ as possible. one doesn't necessarily have to go to church to do this. i do go to a bible study church here in CS and a baptist church back in carrollton simply because it does help me carry out that relationship.

that makes me happy to her about your little girl. you and duff are doing something right.

God Bless.

marcus

'92 Emerald Green Mustang LX Hatch 5.0
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Chick with a Dick

Quote:
Originally posted by 2cammer97
i just wanted to comment Nic that just because you don't go to church every week doesn't necessarily mean you aren't a devoted christian. don't sell yourself short like that. to me being devoted means living as passionately and close to Jesus Christ as possible. one doesn't necessarily have to go to church to do this. i do go to a bible study church here in CS and a baptist church back in carrollton simply because it does help me carry out that relationship.

that makes me happy to her about your little girl. you and duff are doing something right.

God Bless.

marcus
Thanks Marcus!! We're definitely working towards a better connection with Jesus. We're still searching for a group to join that "fits" us, where we can learn more AND keep Hailey active. If you know of anywhere locally you'd suggest, please let me know! See you soon! Nic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread