Religion & Taxes - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
World Record Holder!

Religion & Taxes

Iíve never bought into the whole separation of church and state ideal.

I donít get why religious and church groups donít have to pay taxes. I mean the televangelist make millions and donít pay dime in taxes. My taxes could be less if these crooks paid taxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Worship me

I think the idea is that the IRS might be harder on religious groups that they don't agree with....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 09:09 AM
How you doin'

the church doesn't pay taxes, but the employees do... that televangelest pays taxes on his income, just like you do.

brad

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 09:22 AM
M0DERAT0R

Re: Religion & Taxes

Quote:
Originally posted by 302_plus_a_few
I mean the televangelist make millions and donít pay dime in taxes. My taxes could be less if these crooks paid taxes.
LMAO, like I said before, you should stay away from numbers.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 09:23 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by STANGGT40
the church doesn't pay taxes, but the employees do... that televangelest pays taxes on his income, just like you do.

brad
exactly
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by STANGGT40

brad
The "church" buys him a house, car, and sends him on evangelical trips to exotic places and none of that is "income." He may take a small salary but in reality he pays taxes on a mere pittance of an income. The problem is the ones who abuse the system, not the legitimate religions who use it for good.

Of course, it is up for debate about what is a legitimate religion, and I am not going there. LOL.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

ďAn armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.Ē
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 09:44 AM
M0DERAT0R

Quote:
Originally posted by 90 Notch
The "church" buys him a house, car, and sends him on evangelical trips to exotic places and none of that is "income."
I agree. Just like the businessman with a company car that takes a his clients to lunch, the policeman that drives the Garland squad car to his house in Forney, or the chubby guy that welds turbo kits for his friends in exchange for money.

In the end, a bunch of people aren't paying thier taxes, not just the preachers.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 09:57 AM
tex
Lifer

LOL @ David.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 10:12 AM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally posted by 90 Notch
The "church" buys him a house, car, and sends him on evangelical trips to exotic places and none of that is "income." He may take a small salary but in reality he pays taxes on a mere pittance of an income. The problem is the ones who abuse the system, not the legitimate religions who use it for good.

Of course, it is up for debate about what is a legitimate religion, and I am not going there. LOL.
the church owns the house, if they do that. they do not purchase a house for them... if the house is given to the preacher/whatever, then taxes will be paid on that. vehicles and trips are tax write-offs for anyone, as long as they're related to the business. if you don't like that, then you can go picket outside of the white house, because every single business in the world has those write-offs.

brad
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:39 PM
IA2

A church is like a business in that it has to pay fixed costs - mortgage, payroll, utilities, insurance, grounds maintenance, cleaning services, cleaning supplies, property maintenance, copier maintenance, office supplies, phone, etc.

It also has to pay for materials used during the service - hymnals, bibles, sheet music, sunday school materials, music supplies (mics, recorded music, etc), piano tuning, A/V equipment and the like.

There is outreach - advertising, community projects, vacation bible school, special Christmas programs and such.

There is inreach - programs designed to help the membership.

Benevolence - direct gifts in money and food to help the community. Churches get a lot of requests in this area and rarely are they refused. People don't know about this because it's done confidentually.

And missionary work. Some of that is spent locally and some of it is spent abroad.

I served on the budget & finance committee at a church I attended prior to moving where I lived now. The pastor made a modest salary, as did the other ministers on the payroll. He paid for his own car & house.

I saw no lavish spending on anything. When they could they had volunteers cutting the grass and cleaning the church to avoid having to pay for those services. I expect most smaller churches operate this way.

The mega-churches have additional resources and are able to take on large-scale ministry projects that maybe smaller churches cannot. Even Prestonworld has a purpose.

There are certainly a few "ministries" where the offerings mostly wind up the pastor's pocket, and that's unfortunate. It is most likely not happening at your local church on the corner.

If you attend a church and have questions about where the offering goes - ask. The budgets are usually available to anyone interested.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Crash Test Dummy

There are people that abuse it, just like in everything.

Advertisement