Grounds for Divorce - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

Grounds for Divorce

Can a woman divorce and remarry if the dude she's married to beats her? It seems to be a gray area for me.

Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 05:58 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Re: Grounds for Divorce

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
Can a woman divorce and remarry if the dude she's married to beats her? It seems to be a gray area for me.
In todays society yeah, but if your looking for what the bible says, the ONLY reason for divorce is fornication.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

That's kinda messed up. R U sure?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 08:58 AM
Time Served

I would definitely say the answer is YES to being able to divorce a man if he is physically abusing you. God would not have a woman put herself in physical danger. Adultery is NOT the only biblical reason for divorce (see below).

I Corinthians 7:12-15
To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 10:02 AM
Lifer

Yes, Yo can get a divorce.

jk

What's the grey area JC? If she's getting beat, why would she have an obligation to stay? So he can beat her some more?

Let me put it this way.. would you tell your sister to stay in a marriage if she came to your house in tears with a broken nose? HELL NO!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by 46Tbird
Yes, Yo can get a divorce.

What's the grey area JC? If she's getting beat, why would she have an obligation to stay? So he can beat her some more?

Let me put it this way.. would you tell your sister to stay in a marriage if she came to your house in tears with a broken nose? HELL NO!!
I would play Sampson and beat him with an Ass' jawbone. But anyway. I just needed to get some studying in to see what the "Good Book" say's about it. I new there were more grounds for separation. But I wanted to get into a discussion about it.

As Christians we should always see what the Bible says about it Danny.
You're on your way but, you're not quite there yet.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 10:09 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by four5.0snomore
I would definitely say the answer is YES to being able to divorce a man if he is physically abusing you. God would not have a woman put herself in physical danger. Adultery is NOT the only biblical reason for divorce (see below).

To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.
I understand and believe what you are saying but to me that does not give a good reason for divorce. All it is saying is that if one person decides to leave the marriage then let them go. A person leaving and having a person "put away" are two different things. It is my own personal opinion that a person leaving is not a good enough reason to divorce, every avenue should be taken to make the marriage work.

Quote:
Mat 19:7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away
Mat 19:8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
Mat 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Is physical and/or mental abuse grounds for divorce? We need to follow the command of the Lord to not be unequally yoked (II Corinthians 6:14). Just because someone says they’re a Christian doesn’t make them one. In my personal opinion, I believe that anytime you feel your life or the life of your children are in danger you need to try to get out of the situation.

Last edited by MoonDog; 08-19-2003 at 10:11 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog

Is physical and/or mental abuse grounds for divorce? We need to follow the command of the Lord to not be unequally yoked (II Corinthians 6:14). Just because someone says they’re a Christian doesn’t make them one. In my personal opinion, I believe that anytime you feel your life or the life of your children are in danger you need to try to get out of the situation.
Moon- There is no way that you can ever tell if the person you marry will stay the same loving "Christian". Now let's get away from the "personal opinions" What does the Bible say?

And what kind of avenues can one take if the other keeps beating them? Counseling? Most abusers will not seek counseling? So what do you do in that situation?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 10:53 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I would play Sampson and beat him with an Ass' jawbone.
Hahahaha, hell yeah.
Quote:
You're on your way but, you're not quite there yet.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Time Served

Quote:
And what kind of avenues can one take if the other keeps beating them? Counseling? Most abusers will not seek counseling? So what do you do in that situation?

LEAVE!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
LEAVE!
Can you remarry?

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Time Served

I am not sure that answer is clearly found in the Bible. I would say Yes, but what do I know. It would only be a decision a woman should make after much prayer and after seeking wise cousel. God honors those who honor Him!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 04:05 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Moon- There is no way that you can ever tell if the person you marry will stay the same loving "Christian". Now let's get away from the "personal opinions" What does the Bible say?

JC, I gave you what I believe the answer to the question is. Sorry if you did not want my "personal opinion" but you did not make that clear when you asked the question.

Quote:
Mat 19:7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away
Mat 19:8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
Mat 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 01:39 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

What does the original Biblical texts say on this subject? The KJV was written to include divorce (if I remember correctly), among other thigns, also the reason for the formation of the Anglican Church (which I know for sure). It's my understanding that there were no grounds for divorce in the original Biblical texts.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 08:17 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
What does the original Biblical texts say on this subject? The KJV was written to include divorce (if I remember correctly), among other thigns, also the reason for the formation of the Anglican Church (which I know for sure). It's my understanding that there were no grounds for divorce in the original Biblical texts.
There are only two instances in the Bible where God says we are not obligated to remain married.

1. Adultery (mentioned in the OT and NT)

Matt 5:32 but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for [the] cause of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Matt 19: 9 "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."

1. Unbelieving Spouse Leaves

1 Cor 7:12 But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever , and she consents to live with him, let him not send her away. 13 And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, let her not send her husband away. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy. 15 Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace.

It is obvious in scripture (from the original text) that Christ doesn't want to see any marriage covenant broken, but there are some instances where a divorce can occur and one of the parties involved be "free from bondage".
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 10:08 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
Are you talking the original texts or the original language? Because you wont find the original texts, all that is availiable today is copies. Even the Dead Sea Scrolls are copies. I have a copy of the Bible in the original Hebrew and Greek and it is very similar to the KJV, including divorce.

Quote:
You should have started reading before verse 12.
Quote:
1Co 7:10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:
1Co 7:11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.
A spouse is to remain unmarried in this instance because in the eyes of God they are still married regardless of what the law may say. That is why Jesus said that unless it is because of adultry you should stay married.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 12:10 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Are you talking the original texts or the original language? Because you wont find the original texts, all that is availiable today is copies. Even the Dead Sea Scrolls are copies. I have a copy of the Bible in the original Hebrew and Greek and it is very similar to the KJV, including divorce.
Yeah, I'm talking original texts, not copies Which is unfortunate that they're no longer available, because now we can only trust that the copies are exact ... but never really knowing for sure.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 09:10 PM
Golf anyone?

Quote:

You should have started reading before verse 12.

A spouse is to remain unmarried in this instance because in the eyes of God they are still married regardless of what the law may say. That is why Jesus said that unless it is because of adultry you should stay married.
So the whole corinthians verses are saying that your wife with be sanctified if you believe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement