Lets see what scientist have to say.. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Boost is Good

Lets see what scientist have to say..

"Scientists are anchored in the U. S. mainstream." It says that half participate in religious activities regularly. Looking at the poll is that 43% of Ph.D. scientists are in church on a typical Sunday. In the American public, 44% are in church on a typical Sunday (Poll of the professional society Sigma Zi to which Three thousand three hundred responded)

Dr. "Fritz" Schaefer. "The significance and joy in my science comes in the occasional moments of discovering something new and saying to myself, 'So that's how God did it!' My goal is to understand a little corner of God's plan." –U.S. News & World Report, Dec. 23, 1991. (Graham Perdue Professor of Chemistry and the director of the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry at the University of Georgia. He has been nominated for the Nobel Prize and was recently cited as the third most quoted chemist in the world).

Erwin Schrodinger. “I'm very astonished that the scientific picture of the real world is very deficient. It gives a lot of factual information, puts all our experience in a magnificently consistent order, but it is ghastly silent about all and sundry that is really near to our heart, that really matters to us. It cannot tell us a word about red and blue, bitter and sweet, physical pain and physical delight, knows nothing of beautiful and ugly, good or bad, God and eternity. Science sometimes pretends to answer questions in these domains, but the answers are very often so silly that we are not inclined to take them seriously”. (Founder of wave mechanics and the originator of what is the most important equation in science, Schrodinger's equation)

Richard Ferriman. "Many scientists do believe in both science and God, the God of revelation, in a perfectly consistent way." (Nobel prizewinner in physics in 1965, quoted some 9 years before receiving the Nobel prize).

Allen Lichtman. “References to God continued in the scientific literature until the middle to late 1800's. It seems likely that the lack of religious references after this time seem more from a change in social and professional conventions among scientists rather than from any change in underlying thought. Indeed, contrary to popular myth, scientists appear to have the same range of attitudes about religious matters as does the general public”. (Author of Origins (Harvard University Press) and an M.I.T. professor.)

Michael Polony. “I shall reexamine the suppositions underlying our belief in science and propose to show that they are more extensive than is usually thought. They will appear to coextend with the entire spiritual foundations of man and to go to the very root of his social existence. Hence I will urge our belief in science should be regarded as a token of much wider convictions” (Professor of chemistry and then philosophy at the University of Manchester. His son, John Polony, won the Nobel prize in 1986.)

Francis Bacon. “Let no one think or maintain that a person can search too far or be too well studied in either the book of God's word or the book of God's works”.

Johannes Kepler. “I believe only and alone in the service of Jesus Christ. In him is all refuge and solace.” ( Discoverer of the laws of planetary motion.)

…He also said that he desired in his scientific research “to obtain a sample test of the delight of the Divine Creator in his work and to partake of his joy”. (In answer to the question "Why do you do science?",

Blaise Pascal. “God makes people conscious of their inward wretchedness, which the Bible calls ‘sin’ and his infinite mercy. Unites himself to their inmost soul, fills it with humility and joy, with confidence and love, renders them incapable of any other end than Himself. Jesus Christ is the end of all and the center to which all tends.”

AND “At the center of every human being is a God–shaped vacuum, which can only be filled by Jesus Christ”. (Father of the mathematical theory of probability and combinatorial analysis)

Robert Boyle. Author of The Wisdom of God Manifested in the Works of Creation. He personally endowed an annual lectureship promoted to the defense of Christianity against indifferentism and atheism was a good friend of Richard Baxter, a great Puritan theologian and governor of the Corporation for the Spread of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in New England. Robert Boyle. (Developed the idea of atoms.. Boyle’s law)

Isaac Newton. “This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.”

“One might assume from this statement that Newton was a Deist (system of natural religion that affirms God's existence but denies revelation). However, quotes like this shows this is not true:”

“There are more sure marks of authenticity in the Bible than in any profane history.”

“It must be expressed in the very form of sound words in which it was delivered by the apostles. For men are apt to run into partings about deductions. All the old heresies lie in deductions. The true faith was in the Biblical texts.” Isaac Newton. mathematician, physicist, co–discoverer with Liebnitz of calculus, the founder of classical physics. Author of Observations on the prophecy of Daniel and the Revelation of Saint John.

George Trevellian. “Boyle, Newton and the early members of the Royal Society were religious men who repudiated the skeptical doctrines of Thomas Hobbs. But they familiarized the minds of their countrymen with the idea of law in the universe and with scientific methods of inquiry to discover truth. It was believed that these methods would never lead to any conclusions inconsistent with Biblical history and miraculous religion. Newton lived and died in that faith”. (A secular historian)

Michael Faraday. “Speculations, man, I have none. I have certainties. I thank God that I don't rest my dying head upon speculations for "I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day." (When a friend and well–wisher came by and said, "Sir Michael, what speculations have you now?” Faraday discovered benzene and electromagnetic radiation, invented the generator and was the main architect of classical field theory).

James Clerk Maxwell. “Think what God has determined to do to all those who submit themselves to his righteousness and are willing to receive his gift [of eternal life in Jesus Christ]. They are to be conformed to the image of his Son and when that is fulfilled and God sees they are conformed to the image of Christ, there can be no more condemnation.” (The second of the three great theoretical physicists of all time.)

Maxwell and Charles Darwin were contemporaries. When Maxwell was invited to go to a meeting on the Italian Riviera in February to discuss new developments in science and the Bible. He turned down the invitation. He explained:

“The rate of change of scientific hypotheses is naturally much more rapid than that of Biblical interpretation. So if an interpretation is founded on such a hypothesis it may help to keep the hypothesis above ground long after it ought to be buried and forgotten.”

Somebody who obviously not an admirer of Faraday and Maxwell. The religious decisions of Faraday and Maxwell were inelegant, but effective evasions of social problems that distracted and destroyed the qualities of the works of many of their ablest contemporaries. (They did not become alcoholics nor womanizers nor social climbers as their able colleagues appeared to do).

Organic Chemists

William Henry Perkins. “Admit the existence of a personal God and the possibility of miracles follows at once. If the laws of nature are carried out in accordance with his will, he who willed them may will their suspension….” Discovered the first synthetic dye. The Perkins transactions of the Royal Society of London is named after him), Perkins sold his highly profitable business and retired to private research and church missionary ventures at the age of 35 in the year 1873.

William Thompson. “Do not be afraid to be free thinkers. If you think strongly enough, you will be forced by science to the belief in God”. (Leading physical scientist and the greatest science teacher of his time. His early papers on electromagnetism and heat provide enduring proof of his scientific genius)

J. J. Thompson. “In the distance tower still higher [scientific] peaks which will yield to those who ascend them still wider prospects and deepen the feeling whose truth is emphasized by every advance in science, that great are the works of the Lord.” (Discoverer of the electron in 1897. Cavendish professor of physics at Cambridge University. )

(The old Cavendish laboratory sits in the middle of Cambridge campus. So much was discovered there that it was turned into a museum. A total of fifteen Nobel Prizes resulted from work done there. Inscribed over its door is a Latin phrase "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." [A new] Cavendish laboratory was rebuilt out in the country. However, it also has this sentence from the book of Proverbs written over the door, but in English rather than Latin.)

Theoretical Chemists

Charles Coulson. “There were some ten of us and together we sought for God and together we found Him. I learned for the first time in my life that God was my friend. God became real to me, utterly real. I knew Him and could talk with Him as I never imagined it before and these prayers were the most glorious moment of the day. Life had a purpose and that purpose coloured everything.” (One of the three principal architects of the molecular orbital theory. He disqualified himself from the Nobel prize by dying at the age of 64.)

Robert Griffith. “If we need an atheist for a debate, I'd go to the philosophy department—the physics department isn't much use.” (Member of The U.S. Academy of Sciences & Otto Stern professor of physics at Carnegie Mellon University. He received one of the most coveted awards of the American Physical Society in 1984 on his work in physical mechanics and thermodynamics. Physics Today said he is an evangelical Christian who is an amateur theologian and who helps teach a course on Christianity and science.

Richard Bube. “There are proportionately as many atheistic truck drivers as there are atheistic scientists.” (Chairman of the department of materials science at Stanford and carried out foundational work on solid state physics concerning semiconductors)

John Suppee. “Some non–scientist Christians, when they meet a Christian, will call on to debate evolution. That is definitely the wrong thing to do. If you know what problems scientists have in their lives—pride, selfish ambition, jealousy—that's exactly the kind of thing Jesus Christ said that He came to resolve by His death on the cross. Science is full of people with very strong egos who get into conflict with each other. The gospel is the same for scientists as it is for anyone. Evolution is basically a red herring; if scientists are looking for meaning in their lives, it won't be found in evolution. I have never met a non–Christian who brought up evolution with me.” (Member of the U.S. Academy of Sciences and noted professor of geology at Princeton.)

Charles H. Townes. You may well ask, "Where does God come into this," to me, that's almost a pointless question. If you believe in God at all, there is no particular "where"—He is always there, everywhere….To me, God is personal yet omnipresent. A great source of strength, He has made an enormous difference to me. (Candidate for a second Nobel Prize for the first observation of an interstellar molecule. Still has a very active research program at Berkeley.)

Arthur Schawlow. “We are fortunate to have the Bible, and especially the New Testament, which tells so much about God in widely accessible, human terms”. (Nobel Prize winner in physics, 1981, serves as physics professor at Stanford)

Alan Sandage. “The nature of God is not to be found within any part of the findings of science. For that, one must turn to the Scriptures”. (The world's greatest observational cosmologist, an astronomer at the Carnegie Institution. He was called the Grand Old Man of cosmology by The New York Times when he won a $1 million prize from the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. Sandage became a Christian at the age of fifty.)

“The world is too complicated in all its parts and interconnections to be due to chance…I am convinced that the existence of life with all its order and each of its organisms is simply too well put together”. (When asked to explain how one can be a scientist and a Christian)

William Phillips. “God has given us an incredibly fascinating world to live in and explore. “ (Nobel Prize winner for the development of methods to cool and trap atoms with laser light. According to The New York Times, Phillips "formed and sings in the gospel choir at Fairhaven United Methodist Church, a multi–racial congregation of about 300 in Gaithersburg, Maryland. He also teaches Sunday School and leads Bible studies.)

Why Are There So Few Atheists Among Physicists?

The present arrangement of matter indicates a very special choice of initial conditions. —Paul Davies

In fact, if one considers the possible constants and laws that could have emerged, the odds against a universe that produced life like ours are immense. —Stephen Hawking

A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. —Fred Hoyle

And Finally

So is it possible to be a scientist and a Christian? C. P. Snow, who was certainly not a Christian, said yes. He used to be very famous as the author of a book called The Two Cultures and was a physical chemist at Oxford University.

“You will understand that my atheism was inevitably based on what I believed to be the findings of the sciences and those findings, not being a scientist, I had to take on trust, in fact, on authority. C. S. Lewis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Crash Test Dummy

A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. —Fred Hoyle

Praise God!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Lifer

I agree - but He didn't do it 3,000 years ago.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by 46Tbird
I agree - but He didn't do it 3,000 years ago.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 12:12 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

15 billion, give or take a few

We're still in the pre-dawn hours of the 7th day.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 12:14 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
15 billion, give or take a few

We're still in the pre-dawn hours of the 7th day.

Lies all Lies made by Evolutionists!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 01:23 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
Lies all Lies made by Evolutionists!
Naw, just looking at creation from a different perspective

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement