DFW Mustang Forums banner

Home/Business Networking question

504 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  White_lightning 
#1 ·
I have Cable internet access for the home and I just moved the office to the house. DSL isn't available in this area for the office PCs and I don't want to buy more cable modems for them from the ISP provider. I have another Cable modem but, I can't get online with it (maybe the ISP won't let it connect, I don't know)

What I want to do is have 3 PCs share the modem that works, without running wires through the house.

How can I incorporate a wireless router into all of this? Do I need to buy some type of wireless networking card and install one into each PC? I've seen a USB device that can make a non-wireless PC into a wireless one? Are those any good?

Any help will be cool. :D

#3 ·
Cable comes in from street to cable modem. Out of cable modem to wireless router. You can install wireless pci cards or usb adapters in your pc's but it may be somewhat slower than cables although it really depends upon what equipment you use and what your intended usage is. For general internet access, you should be happy with super G or better. Netgear super G router will cost you about $50 and the wireless adapters are around $40 each. Not suggesting Netgear, just giving an example.
Ed

BTW - THis is very doable. I am running 4 pc's - 2 cable & 2 wireless off a comcast cable connect at home.

#4 ·
I'm guessing at the moment you have a cable modem hooked up to one PC with an enthernet cable.

Go buy a wireless router, this will give you an internet in where you will plug the enthernet cable from your cable modem into. Then there will be 4 enthernet ports that can be hooked up to seperate computers along with the wireless signal.

just go and buy adapters for each computer, USB is fine, but usually those little usb thumb drive style adapters have trouble picking up signals over long distances... Its basically plug and play, setting up wireless security is little more difficult and if you want to do file and print sharing it takes a little more work but not much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.