DFW Mustang Forums banner

My lightscribed CD's

581 views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Osiris 
#1 ·
Well I've had this computer since August of '05 and finally decided to play with the lightscribe. Here's the two I did. What do ya think?

See less See more
#7 ·
I was under the impression that light scribing is done on the data side of the disc, and reduces the amount of data that can be written (and why most light scribe examples are a ring around the edge of the disc). Is that not the case?

Those do look great, and hell if that's not affecting the amount of data on the disc, I may be convinced to get one :)

#8 ·
DarkWolf said:
I was under the impression that light scribing is done on the data side of the disc, and reduces the amount of data that can be written (and why most light scribe examples are a ring around the edge of the disc). Is that not the case?

Those do look great, and hell if that's not affecting the amount of data on the disc, I may be convinced to get one :)

It doesn't affect the data part of the disc...what you do is after your done burning said disc with the info you want on it...take it out and flip it over in the drive and then you can burn your images, words, etc...

#10 ·
Like the guy above said, there is no data loss because of the light scribe, the image is burned on the other side of the disc from the data side.

Here is a pic of a new lightscribe cd before burning an image onto it... It starts off all gold colored and the lightscribe burns the light areas to result in different shades of gold.

You do have to have special lightscribe CDs like this one, they were about a buck a piece in 10-pack form.

#14 ·
hehe, I just bought a DVD drive tonight at staples that has lightscribe. I heard about it when it first came out, but it didn't really interest me. The only reason I bought it was because the one with lightscribe was 10 bux less than a regular one, plus it had double the Dual Layer write speed (8x vs 4x). They had the lightscribe dvd's on sale too 25 for 14.99 (vs 29.99 regular price). I don't use very many cd's anymore so I didn't check the prices on those.

#16 ·
Yea, it takes the time to find the image or write the text, modify or adjust size in photoshop, get the placement correct, and then another 20 minutes for the actual image burn process + the time to burn the actual music onto the data side...

so I won't be using this except for special occassions, hah...

#17 ·
DarkWolf said:

That's an older process that was before Light Scribe came out, think it was called "Tatoo" or something and it burned images on the "unburned" data side of a CD.

I love my Light Scribe burner. Agree that it's a tad expensive per CD so I do not use it for everything.

#19 ·
So has anyone been able to burn LS media where you touched the LS side of the media before burning it? If I accidentally touch the LS side before burning the media it wont let me LS it. I've tried cleaning it, buffing it, licking it, rubbing it on my ass, nothing works once I touch it. I now store my LS media in a hermetically sealed compartment and wear a HAZMAT suite when I'm going to burn one. And I've tried various FW releases on the HP-DVD640 drive. The only thing I havent tried is getting the professional version of the "Surething" LS software. Surething my ass!

#20 ·
HiTechRedneck said:
So has anyone been able to burn LS media where you touched the LS side of the media before burning it? If I accidentally touch the LS side before burning the media it wont let me LS it. I've tried cleaning it, buffing it, licking it, rubbing it on my ass, nothing works once I touch it. I now store my LS media in a hermetically sealed compartment and wear a HAZMAT suite when I'm going to burn one. And I've tried various FW releases on the HP-DVD640 drive. The only thing I havent tried is getting the professional version of the "Surething" LS software. Surething my ass!
lmao at the hazmat/hotzone.

#21 ·
HiTechRedneck said:

LMFAO!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.