Border Patrol Agent - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thumbs up Border Patrol Agent

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is currently taking applications for Border Patrol Agents with duty locations on the Southwest Border. Open period for this job announcement is July 14, 2010 to September 30, 2010. Early hiring consideration will be given to those applicants who complete the online registration process by July 31, 2010 and test by August 27, 2010

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/c...order_careers/

1998 Black SVT Cobra #2885
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Time Served

also, you may apply on www.usajobs.gov its a good job and pays me alot of $$$ and i havent been here very long

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Lifer

we have border patrol? i would have never guessed

98 Brokra

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 04:25 AM
Time Served

Yeah, my buddy Chris works for the Border Patrol. He is assigned at El Paso area and loves it. Said the training took a really long time though.

R, just R
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

The Academy is 55 days from what I have heard of. A good web-site with good information is www.honorfirst.com

1998 Black SVT Cobra #2885
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Lifer

Well I just started the application process. Been thinkin about this job for a long time and figured might as well give it a shot. Test is next week in Arlington.

FUCK Canada
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 01:58 PM
4 Cams are better than 1

This is everyone's chance to make a difference on illegals instead of typing about it all the time...
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Lifer

be careful applicants, border patrol suicide is spiking.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...rSZjQD9HKPT480

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced4V View Post
This is everyone's chance to make a difference on illegals instead of typing about it all the time...
x2
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced4V View Post
Why would i want to tie my own hands by signing up with the govt. My personal illegal control is working out better.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 01:14 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
Well I just started the application process. Been thinkin about this job for a long time and figured might as well give it a shot. Test is next week in Arlington.
When did you test? I took mine wednesday. I applied back in July just because I had always been interested. This was before the announcement of hiring 1500 more agents. The sad thing is they told us at the testing, that there were like 3000 that took the test down in San Antonio and Austin. So just imagine the number of people testing nationwide. It sucked that we wont know how we did for 2-6 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutherjuggz View Post
That whole "making love" shit is for the birds. I won't get all graphic on my preferences, but if you can't knock the bottom out with a vengeance.... leave me alone
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:02 AM
I got your Jihad!!

Starting pay is $37k?! That sucks!!! No thanks!

2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 RC
2005 Big Dog Chopper 117ci
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 02:50 PM

37k goes along way when your duty station is Sandyasscrack New Mexico
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandkid View Post
They base the pay on experience. Or if you have been in law enforcement or military prior. They ask you where your first two choices are that you would like to be stationed if you make it past all the tests and academy. They dont guarantee you will go there, they make it clear that they will place you according to where they need agents the most. I opted for Arizona and West Texas.

Quote:
That whole "making love" shit is for the birds. I won't get all graphic on my preferences, but if you can't knock the bottom out with a vengeance.... leave me alone
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:31 PM

Good luck, hopefully you'll get stationed where you want to go... I had a list in the corps - didn't get to go to any of those places during my enlistment.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 01:24 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-TOPPS5.0 View Post
When did you test? I took mine wednesday. I applied back in July just because I had always been interested. This was before the announcement of hiring 1500 more agents. The sad thing is they told us at the testing, that there were like 3000 that took the test down in San Antonio and Austin. So just imagine the number of people testing nationwide. It sucked that we wont know how we did for 2-6 weeks.
I changed my mind after discussing it with a few people. Not saying its a bad job...but just don't think at this point its something I want to do.

FUCK Canada
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:59 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Good luck, hopefully you'll get stationed where you want to go... I had a list in the corps - didn't get to go to any of those places during my enlistment.
Thanks! I hope I passed the test. Second.......... if I did pass, I hope I scored high enough to be one of the 1500 that are getting hired nation wide. 1500 seems like a lot, but not in comparison to the number of applicants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
I changed my mind after discussing it with a few people. Not saying its a bad job...but just don't think at this point its something I want to do.
Thats understandable. Definately not a job to take lightly without serious thought put into it. I went back and fourth myself and decided its something I would really enjoy doing. I did talk to an agent out in AZ and he said even the slow days are not boring for him which keeps him loving his job. But, I guess I have to wait and see what happens once I get my results back.

Quote:
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Time Served

whats up with the blk dude dancing and looking like he had a siezure.. lol

1990 hatch 4.10 gears. 351w stock 70 heads w/ big valves, and port, rpm intake 650 dp, 9-5 comp, lunati 540 lift 224-234 duration. ford hei stock aod ... still on racks.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Mexican Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas85stang View Post
whats up with the blk dude dancing and looking like he had a siezure.. lol
where?

Quote:
Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Time Served

the job does start at 37k if your a gs-5. however, thats the base bay...with your overtime and such, you can expect almost 60k because you get automatic promotion to gs-7 after 6 months. if you come in as gs-7 your base pay is 45k with 6 month promotion to gs-9 where your base pay is about 54k. and gs-9 gets promotion to gs-11 after 1 year. its a good gig for sure. i worout of laredo which is a decrepid shithole but worth it. if you have any questions regarding the hiring process or the job in general, feel free to ask me.

I believe the blk guy suffering from a siezure is this.........

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:28 PM
GE
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fox5.0 View Post
the job does start at 37k if your a gs-5. however, thats the base bay...with your overtime and such, you can expect almost 60k because you get automatic promotion to gs-7 after 6 months. if you come in as gs-7 your base pay is 45k with 6 month promotion to gs-9 where your base pay is about 54k. and gs-9 gets promotion to gs-11 after 1 year. its a good gig for sure. i worout of laredo which is a decrepid shithole but worth it. if you have any questions regarding the hiring process or the job in general, feel free to ask me.

I believe the blk guy suffering from a siezure is this.........
Yeah, still not enough.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE View Post
Yeah, still not enough.

show me a law enforcement gig that pays more than that. within three years, your automatic promotions take you to gs-12 and you bring in around 110k. Maybe not for you, but plenty of money for others including myself

post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Lifer

Quote:
show me a law enforcement gig that pays more than that. within three years, your automatic promotions take you to gs-12 and you bring in around 110k. Maybe not for you, but plenty of money for others including myself
It has big potential, and one thing that comes into play that is not being discussed, is with all the attention the patrol is getting, I see pay-raises coming soon. THANK GOD someone wants this gig, and they should damn sure get paid well for it.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Lifer

I thought about Border patrol for about 10 seconds.... its not for me... I applaud those men and women who are willing to work as a BP officer... IMO though making money is paramount...

We have cops over here in the desert (Iraq or afghan) that are subjected to the same kind of danger...and make way more than 60k a yr...

http://www.dyn-intl.com/policemissio...ions-home.aspx.

This is just one of the gigs i know about, there are MANY MANY more....

I'm not tuting DynCorps horn, but if your going to take the chance of being shot at and still be able to carry a weapon to defend yourself, i would go for the greenbacks.. Just my 2 cents...

85 SVO 2.7t coming soon
Old 438whp 1/8th??
Older 375whp [email protected]

We will never forget you WILD 42!
Friends I've Lost

Even if you make something dummy-proof, the world makes a better dummy.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa4banger View Post
I thought about Border patrol for about 10 seconds.... its not for me... I applaud those men and women who are willing to work as a BP officer... IMO though making money is paramount...

We have cops over here in the desert (Iraq or afghan) that are subjected to the same kind of danger...and make way more than 60k a yr...

http://www.dyn-intl.com/policemissio...ions-home.aspx.

This is just one of the gigs i know about, there are MANY MANY more....

I'm not tuting DynCorps horn, but if your going to take the chance of being shot at and still be able to carry a weapon to defend yourself, i would go for the greenbacks.. Just my 2 cents...

FYI...we send agents there also. its a 6 month gig with option to extend. in that 6 month tour, we make almost 150k. now, instead of trying to argue about whos dick is bigger, think of the facts. dyncorps is a contract job. yes the money is good but its acontract and who gives a flying fuck about the iraq and afghan police force. they were pieces of shit during both of my tours to iraq and will continue to be pieces of shit for the rest of eternity. I can see this is getting out of control as do most threads. If you believe the job is for you and you want to step up to the challenge and join the team, then apply, attend the academy and become an agent. If not, then continue your current mission whatever it is. For me, 100k plus a year to go to work for a great cause and coming home to my family every night satisfies me. Good luck to any applicants and thank you to you fellas that support us.

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Time Served

[quote=Justa4banger;6323078]I thought about Border patrol for about 10 seconds.... its not for me... I applaud those men and women who are willing to work as a BP officer... IMO though making money is paramount...

And my opinion is that secure borders and more jobs for the american citizen, as well as protecting our children from all the fucking dope that comes over is paramount. I do understand yes that it is a supply and demand conflict, and we cant stop the shit from coming over until people quit using. got it. but we can put our foot in the asses of theses shitbags everynight when they try to bring it over and make it a living hell when they get caught. which we do. You may not also understand the amount of people we get from countries of interest like Iraq and Afghan etc. that are paying big$$$ to come here for whatever reason. But your right, we should be teaching towel heads our tactics and how to be cops over in douchebag land.

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Lifer

I may be coming to an end with my 4plus years in Afg doing Anti-Terrorism and Force Protection work. My wife wants me home but I am addicted to the deployed lifestyle and the paychecks. BP might be the slow wean that I need to simulate back into the real world.

Do many agents have family and homes elsewhere and commute to their point of orgin on their back to back days off? I am sure some guys share a apartment or rental house to cut down on expenses.

Would a former active duty Marine, current Secret Clearance, 4 years in Afg working 84hrs a week (technically 9yrs of exp there alone) working AntiTerrorism Security qualify me for GS9?
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
I may be coming to an end with my 4plus years in Afg doing Anti-Terrorism and Force Protection work. My wife wants me home but I am addicted to the deployed lifestyle and the paychecks. BP might be the slow wean that I need to simulate back into the real world.

Do many agents have family and homes elsewhere and commute to their point of orgin on their back to back days off? I am sure some guys share a apartment or rental house to cut down on expenses.

Would a former active duty Marine, current Secret Clearance, 4 years in Afg working 84hrs a week (technically 9yrs of exp there alone) working AntiTerrorism Security qualify me for GS9?

Guys do commute back and forth. Several guys have houses in the valley and just share a cheap aprtment with other agents and drive back on days off. A few others live in san antonio and do the same thing. In order to qualify for gs-9 right off the bat. you would need a masters degree or be a former cop detective that has developed informants and such. But you would definately qualify for gs-7 no prob and six months after hire, you would get gs-9

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Lifer

Quote:
"instead of trying to argue about whos dick is bigger, think of the facts. dyncorps is a contract job. yes the money is good but its acontract"
What does this mean?

85 SVO 2.7t coming soon
Old 438whp 1/8th??

Friends I've Lost

post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa4banger View Post
What does this mean?

a contract is not a career

post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
a contract is not a career
Interesting idea...

I'm not saying that i would make a long lasting career of contracting, but i have many friends that have. they gain vacation time just like you, they recieve merit increases in pay, you can usually move up, have medical, dental, 401k....

Sounds like a career to me...

I do agree that most contracting jobs are not for the long term, but then again it depends on what you are doing and with what company. True enough contracts come and go and alot of people do get burned but there many that do just fine...In contracting your job stability depends entirely on YOU.

Anyways good luck, be safe and thanks....

85 SVO 2.7t coming soon
Old 438whp 1/8th??

Friends I've Lost

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Lifer

are there any border patrol agents stationed in DFW? I'd definately give it a shot but living away from my family is not for me.

George
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-TOPPS5.0 View Post
They base the pay on experience. Or if you have been in law enforcement or military prior. They ask you where your first two choices are that you would like to be stationed if you make it past all the tests and academy. They dont guarantee you will go there, they make it clear that they will place you according to where they need agents the most. I opted for Arizona and West Texas.
the military asks the same shit. its called a dream sheet for a reason.

Quote:
bullshit. i was stationed in clovis, nm and it was more expensive to live in that shithole than its cost to live in fort worth.

example a 2k sqft home in clovis, nm was going for 200k while the exact same type of house in fort worth was 120k. not to mention gas was more expensive in smaller towns.

1995 Cobra

8.8 1/8th mile on stock motor (225k miles) w/exhaust 3.73's and drag radials.

Last edited by jnobles06; 11-22-2010 at 10:18 PM.
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George G. View Post
are there any border patrol agents stationed in DFW? I'd definately give it a shot but living away from my family is not for me.
They have border patrol in every major city. When you first start, they make you live on the border for 2-3 years. I would love to work for bor-tac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement