Back to the drawing board - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Back to the drawing board

Well I got laid off again. I'm in the engineering field and they are really doing bad right now. I'm a CAD drafter. I have been for 10 years. I need the income so if you guys know of a postion out there I haven't already applied for let me know. I'll do just about anything. It's time to get into a new field of work.

"Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Might be time for some contract stuff if you can find any. If you are good, can manager your time and can get your foot in the door, I'm pretty sure there is money to be made out there. Just have to find some clients. And some equipment if you don't have any. Prints can be had at many locations but I would guess most would want stuff on a disc.

Rich

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

good luck i have been looking for a year now.

2006 mustang gt- jlt cai, pypes axlebacks, bassani catted x pipe, steeda udp, 4:10 gears, LT Headers, FRPP Cams, Delete Plates, 100 shot
1/8th mile et 7.21 @95 mph/60ft @ 1.52 & .043 reaction.
1/4 mile don't know yet.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

have been trying that route but that's slim pickins. That's why I'm thinking a career change may be coming my way soon. You guys hiring?

"Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose."
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Thanks man I already applied for those. Thanks for the heads up tho. I need all the help I can get.

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Honestly I'm thinking a bartender would be great. Money sucks...let's go drink. Money's great...let's go drink. Anyone wanna hire me. I'm a fast learner and I always end up playing bartender at parties.

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Sure Shot

Any oil/gas experience? Well planning type stuff?

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Worked as a state inspector at my parents oil and lube. Pretty odd seeing a girl come out to inspect your jacked up 4x4 that's held together w/ bailing wire. That's as close as I get. I can always learn.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Sure Shot

Hahaha, not what I meant but I hear ya. I deal with a lot of CAD people, but I know they would definitely want oil field experienced people. Rigs, not Jiffy Lube Good luck!

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

No prob...If ya chang your mind on the training I'm here. Thanks man.

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Time Served

Yep it's ugly times out there right now. I too find myself looking.... companies are trying to improve profits by laying off people instead of making products and increasing sales...... it's a vicious cycle that will have its end one way or another.

This is why every Harvard MBA should be taken out and shot. They thought they could export all the work to China and make big money...... apparently they also thought they could do it forever. They made money for themselves but bankrupt an entire country to do it.

WTG!
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Time Served

From the context, I would guess that jenholley is a girl.

You guys dissappoint me...

As for my actual post:

Posting pics of tits would help in the job field assessment.

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

lol...thanks Dustin. I'll keep that in mind for my next interview. They did help me get my picture in the June 2007 edition of The Horse magizine. Crappy pic I thought.

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Any leads on a job are helpful.

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 04:03 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97blkpny View Post
Any oil/gas experience? Well planning type stuff?
I use oil. I like oil. I even sell to individuals and companies in the oil business, so what do you have? That's the industry I want to break into.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Well I applied for a pool place deisgning pools today. Got turned down today too because they want 2 years designing pools. I can learn...and I can be hired at a cheaper price cuz I have to learn. DAMNIT!!! Contacted a bartending school for info. I was hoping to have something even a 3 month gig while I'm schooled in how to make a great rita.

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 05:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenHolley View Post
Well I applied for a pool place deisgning pools today. Got turned down today too because they want 2 years designing pools. I can learn...and I can be hired at a cheaper price cuz I have to learn. DAMNIT!!! Contacted a bartending school for info. I was hoping to have something even a 3 month gig while I'm schooled in how to make a great rita.
I remember seeing somewhere on here that most bars don't care about bartending "graduates." If you're an attractive, young adult...especially a female, that's going to be the best thing going for you if you're looking to bar tend.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
I remember seeing somewhere on here that most bars don't care about bartending "graduates." If you're an attractive, young adult...especially a female, that's going to be the best thing going for you if you're looking to bar tend.
I keep finding they are wanting TABC certified. Don't know where I need to take the test for that at. I figured a school. If I don't then that's cool.

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Time Served

Quote:
I keep finding they are wanting TABC certified. Don't know where I need to take the test for that at. I figured a school. If I don't then that's cool.
It's a piece of paper or card that says you are old enough to serve alcohol and not a criminal.... I have a friend that got his so he can schlep beer at the Cowboys games. He's been doing it for about 5 years now.

www.tabcpermit.com

It's probably about as difficult as the food safety exam I took 10+ years ago to work in a restaurant and deliver pizza.

I bet you could have this done in a day.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Time Served

Quote:
lol...thanks Dustin. I'll keep that in mind for my next interview. They did help me get my picture in the June 2007 edition of The Horse magizine. Crappy pic I thought.
If they would only post you in horse magazine, I may not want to see tit pics...

But, for the record, I was talking about posting the tit pics here.

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin View Post
If they would only post you in horse magazine, I may not want to see tit pics...

But, for the record, I was talking about posting the tit pics here.
Wow...not sure if that's an insult or compliment.

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Well had a phone interview today. Have a face to face set up next week. Sorry Dustin, I didn't get a chance to show off my tits.

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Well had a phone interview today. Have a face to face set up next week. Sorry Dustin, I didn't get a chance to show off my tits.
Here's to some good luck, hopefully it works out for ya..

I'm in the same position as you as of today. I was a CAD drafter for one of the leading Post-Tension suppliers in the southern region for elevated decks, high rise, ect. up until a few hours ago.. Im seriously contemplating a career change.

I enjoyed working with a lot of these complex structures but I would like to find something to split my time between office/field work. Let us know how your interview goes.

LPC: 56152
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeC5 View Post

I'm in the same position as you as of today. I was a CAD drafter for one of the leading Post-Tension suppliers in the southern region for elevated decks, high rise, ect. up until a few hours ago.. Im seriously contemplating a career change.

I enjoyed working with a lot of these complex structures but I would like to find something to split my time between office/field work. Let us know how your interview goes.

Will do!!!

post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Don't let the job stop you!

post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Time Served

What CAD package(s) you drive?
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
What CAD package(s) you drive?
Auto CAD, Microstation, ProE

post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Time Served

ouch, you guys doing 3d modeling and CAD work? I was seriously considering going to school for that. Is that market complete shit too? sigh......where are the fucking jobs!! Guess we need to move to china or india.

I agree, we need to shoot the harvard MBA fags that thought throwing americans on their asses was a good idea. Jackasses!

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammy View Post
ouch, you guys doing 3d modeling and CAD work? I was seriously considering going to school for that. Is that market complete shit too? sigh......where are the fucking jobs!! Guess we need to move to china or india.

I agree, we need to shoot the harvard MBA fags that thought throwing americans on their asses was a good idea. Jackasses!
Don't go to school for it. I can name you fortune 500 companies farming their CAD out to India right now.....

They have a contingent of Indian guys in the US, they call India at night and e-mail files to them. They have the completed junk to turn in the next morning when the US company opens. They do this for a huge discount price too.

I'm not going to get into the specifics of building proper engineering models that can be edited, modified, revised etc. and explain why their CAD work is total shit, but it is. It looks good at 8am though to the management types and on the bottom line.

I'm sure some other Harvard MBA came up with this seemingly brilliant idea too.

I've been the engineer on this end trying to update, fix or edit some of their shoddy CAD work. It blows.

Every company in the US is currently farming out anything and everything they can to make a nice tidy quarterly profit to drive up stock prices, their own children be damned.
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
Don't go to school for it. I can name you fortune 500 companies farming their CAD out to India right now.....

They have a contingent of Indian guys in the US, they call India at night and e-mail files to them. They have the completed junk to turn in the next morning when the US company opens. They do this for a huge discount price too.

I'm not going to get into the specifics of building proper engineering models that can be edited, modified, revised etc. and explain why their CAD work is total shit, but it is. It looks good at 8am though to the management types and on the bottom line.

I'm sure some other Harvard MBA came up with this seemingly brilliant idea too.

I've been the engineer on this end trying to update, fix or edit some of their shoddy CAD work. It blows.

Every company in the US is currently farming out anything and everything they can to make a nice tidy quarterly profit to drive up stock prices, their own children be damned.
wonderful...oh but wait...were supposed to compete remember?! You guys ready to start working for chinese and indian wages yet? I view this as americas number one problem. We spend a shitload of money on all kinds of shit, including being world police and then they allow companies to put americans out of work so they can go exploit slave wages in some other country. Such bullshit.

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

We have resorted to not driving and making our own bread because money is so bad. I wanna be able to compete w/ the tallent that's out there. I did go to school. I was the first girl to graduate w/ a 3D project where I went. It wasn't a pushed thing at back in '98 when I went.

post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Time Served

Quote:
We have resorted to not driving and making our own bread because money is so bad. I wanna be able to compete w/ the tallent that's out there. I did go to school. I was the first girl to graduate w/ a 3D project where I went. It wasn't a pushed thing at back in '98 when I went.
The talent is irrelvent, an american is every bit as talented as an indian. The ONLY different is price the companies will have to pay to get that work done. The cost of living in america compared to china, mexico and india is a joke, there is no way you can compete unless you are ready to get into a price war with the people of those countries.

To do that in this country you wont even be able to afford a one bedroom apartment or a car while they live the life most americans used to enjoy. Its either us or them, the MBAs and companies picked them over their own people and this will be the result in every single job that doesnt have to be done locally. Meanwhile they go over there and tell those people that the reason they are bringing the jobs over is because we are stupid and lazy. They cant imagine why a country would ship its own jobs away when they are dying at the chance to earn a living.

Sad part is, those countries with their enormous populations could take every single job we have and it wouldnt put a dent in their unemployment problem. Laws should have been passed decades ago requiring "american" companies to keep a high level percentage of their employees in america otherwise be cut off from tax benefits and other peaks, basically make it not worth it.

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

[quote=Slammy;5941002]The talent is irrelvent, an american is every bit as talented as an indian. The ONLY different is price the companies will have to pay to get that work done.[quote]

Talent is relvent when you are out of a job and trying to get one. As for the out sourcing...we got that. I'm out of a job because of that. Every person on here has heard that by now. So no need to beat a dead horse dude.

If your so pissed about it and want to keep bitching about it then don't do it on here. Go some where your voice will be heard and will make a difference.

I'm on here networking asking for help to find a job. Not to read bitch secions.

post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Time Served

Quote:
The talent is irrelvent, an american is every bit as talented as an indian. The ONLY different is price the companies will have to pay to get that work done. The cost of living in america compared to china, mexico and india is a joke, there is no way you can compete unless you are ready to get into a price war with the people of those countries.

To do that in this country you wont even be able to afford a one bedroom apartment or a car while they live the life most americans used to enjoy. Its either us or them, the MBAs and companies picked them over their own people and this will be the result in every single job that doesnt have to be done locally. Meanwhile they go over there and tell those people that the reason they are bringing the jobs over is because we are stupid and lazy. They cant imagine why a country would ship its own jobs away when they are dying at the chance to earn a living.

Sad part is, those countries with their enormous populations could take every single job we have and it wouldnt put a dent in their unemployment problem. Laws should have been passed decades ago requiring "american" companies to keep a high level percentage of their employees in america otherwise be cut off from tax benefits and other peaks, basically make it not worth it.
Actually there is more talent here, but talent isn't what is wanted. The only thing that matters to companies in the US anymore is the balance sheet. They don't care who is on the payroll or where the money is going, just the balance sheet.

As long as the balance sheet is good, stock prices are good and banks are fat dumb and happy. It's all about those guys with business degrees working at banks.... or you've been asleep the past two years.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Time Served

Youre right, sorry about that and my apologies. Good luck in your search

post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Youre right, sorry about that and my apologies. Good luck in your search
Thanks

post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Time Served

Even though you are looking for an alternate career path you might consider learning Catia V5. Unlike V4 the "new" version is true parametric and will be easy for you with a Pro E background. Aerospace firms in the area are still employing (and occasionally hiring) Catia drivers. These firms are just now getting into V5 heavily and many of the V4 drivers have not learned or just now learning.
Good job turning your thread back around.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:14 PM
PAN

Post 39 and we still don't have pics of this chick...
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
Post 39 and we still don't have pics of this chick...
If ya wanna see what I look like go look at my pics or buy something I have listed.

post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeC5 View Post

Well I went on the interview friday. I was really excited about it too. That was a joke. Needless to say I don't have the job. For what they are wanting to pay and the length of time they want me to work, I will make more and be more stable on unemployment. Now that really sux.

post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Well I went on the interview friday. I was really excited about it too. That was a joke. Needless to say I don't have the job. For what they are wanting to pay and the length of time they want me to work, I will make more and be more stable on unemployment. Now that really sux.

I can't see your myspace....but did you own a SOM TA? Also, I completely understand your frustration of making more money on unemployment. I was laid off back in June, was lucky and found a job in August...but if this is any help:

Aldi Foods in Denton is hiring.
$16.00 per hour
25-35 hours per week
Full benefits
Must be able to work rotating Saturday/Sundays
5 day work week, Daytime hours.....

Apply at:
2500 WestCourt Rd
Denton, tX 76027

Friday 11/4 12-6pm
Sat. 11/5 8am-4pm

www.alditexasjobs.com