Welding career worth it??? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Welding career worth it???

I got laid off from my previous job and going to school for 104 weeks totally free at tstc, im interested in the 2 year welding aas degree but kinda of not sure on how the economy is for welders??? any welders on here? i can go into any trade that tstc or any local college has to offer but welding seems the most intersting to me being that i have a little experience in it already. Is there anyone hiring welders rite now? oh and as soon as i graduate i plan on moving from waco to dallas area so i would be looking for work in the dallas/surrounding city area any info would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Time Served

easiest place to find a job would be around houston and corpus, the main oil rig maintenance spots.. they hire alot of welders. i thought about being a welder but unless you're open to relocation it can be a waste of time.

2008 Freightliner Columbia -- daily driver
2010 Jeep unlimited Rubicon
1991 toyota pickup with a few mods.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

thanks for the info blk87, i thought about houston, i hear alot of overseas people are hiring welders as well im goingto look into itand see what comesout of it

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

What kind of welding do you want to do
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 07:50 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

My neighbor's brother is an underwater welder and works doing underwater inspection and repairs at nuclear power plants. He has lots of free time and to say he is rich wouldn't be an exageration at all.

edit: If you even think you could do scuba, I'd seriously look into underwater certification. The average one of those guys makes a very nice living.

DFWMustangs.net
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135 View Post
My neighbor's brother is an underwater welder and works doing underwater inspection and repairs at nuclear power plants. He has lots of free time and to say he is rich wouldn't be an exageration at all.

edit: If you even think you could do scuba, I'd seriously look into underwater certification. The average one of those guys makes a very nice living.
How does one get into a job like that with no experience? Do they have schools that teach that?

Red and White 98R1...Look now cause in a second I'm gonna pass you

You can pass me now, sold the bike =(
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Lifer

under water stuff pays very very well

real cobras don't have fog lights
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 PM
dee
Lifer

Underwater also has a high rate of killing yourself. Think about it water and electricity you have to be very carefull. And the job market for welders is not that great right now cause when the oil market crashed welders flooded the feild.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

I have always heard that underwater welders made very good money, i have also always heard that its very dangerous. however that doesnt fin me off one bit. I am enrolled to get my associates in welding starting may 11th. I havent really looked into underwater welding because i cannot swim but would love to learn. Im in the prime of my life and am in great shape and think scuba would be good for me. I do know that i cant do underwater forever and would rely on welding as my bread and butter job on dry land.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 06:07 PM
dee
Lifer

Don't forget if you do underwater in the ocean there is alot of shit in there that will eat you.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

haha thanks dee that is so true but heck i could walk outside and get shot today so its dangerous anywhere you go especially in todays society. its something i would be interested in tho not saying iwould do it but i am surely going to look into it. Does anyone have any estimate figureswhat a underwater welder makes??? i see alot of people doing welding on the side and have a main job its just so much to think about thanks so far for everyones input
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Time Served

not uncommon to see 6 figures for a good underwater welder. its not the stuff that eats you, its getting airlines caught up, equipment malfunctions, etc.

2008 Freightliner Columbia -- daily driver
2010 Jeep unlimited Rubicon
1991 toyota pickup with a few mods.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 08:27 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubyu02 View Post
I have always heard that underwater welders made very good money, i have also always heard that its very dangerous. however that doesnt fin me off one bit. I am enrolled to get my associates in welding starting may 11th. I havent really looked into underwater welding because i cannot swim but would love to learn. Im in the prime of my life and am in great shape and think scuba would be good for me. I do know that i cant do underwater forever and would rely on welding as my bread and butter job on dry land.
Enlist for the job of your choice. In a lot of markets, school is great - but nothing beats experience and a background proving you can handle a little shit. (or a lot)

My '03 Sold.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Lifer

lots of union jobs in texascity

RON PAUL '08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement