Anyone know of a company hiring local CDL-A drivers? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Anyone know of a company hiring local CDL-A drivers?

I just recently got my Class A cdl and I am looking for a company hiring local drivers. Im going to some other searches but I'd figure I would ask here. Thanks for any references.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Lifer

If you are just starting out good luck. You will need a minimum of 2 years OTR before most local companies will hire you. Not trying to be negative but you need to run the road a lil bit and gain some experience. You will learn alot. I may go back to work for US Xpress if i cant find something quick around here. They are solid i got my training from them back in 2005. Go ahead and sign up for a driver legal plan as soon as you start driving. A lawyer to handle tickets and bs is a must i learned the hard way. Good luck

98 Brokra

Last edited by Ylw 98~~SNAKE~~; 01-26-2009 at 08:45 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input but I am not looking for OTR driving(Not sure if thats what you meant). Im looking for like the UPS delivery local driver and such type jobs. I know its not required to have a CDL to drive the box truck but its good to have i'd say.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 02:23 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool92accord View Post
Thanks for the input but I am not looking for OTR driving(Not sure if thats what you meant). Im looking for like the UPS delivery local driver and such type jobs. I know its not required to have a CDL to drive the box truck but its good to have i'd say.

I know that pepsi and coke and some of the beer companies will hire you with no experience, but you'll be driving a side load trailer around to gas stations delivering cases of sodas/beer.

The only downside... it is very hard work since you have to unload everything by hand and stack it so you can use a dolly to take it inside. The pay is good, but you are going to have to work for it.

I drove for Schneider for a year being on their "Home Run" program (go out on the road for 2 weeks and come home for a solid week). And I can honestly say that they are a good company to work for. They always took care of me, I would probably still be working there if they hadn't moved all of their local intermodal operations out to haslet.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Lifer

817-268-1188... they haul Lime slurry all over the Metroplex... we have terminals in Hurst and McKinney... not sure if they are hiring right now but its worth a call...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian22 View Post

I drove for Schneider for a year being on their "Home Run" program (go out on the road for 2 weeks and come home for a solid week). And I can honestly say that they are a good company to work for. They always took care of me, I would probably still be working there if they hadn't moved all of their local intermodal operations out to haslet.
Pumpkin Driver Up until about 5 months ago, I worked for them also. Intermodal payed really well, but the 12 to 14 hour days and only having Wednesday and Thursday off, sucked.

It didn't help that they moved to Haslet, increasing my drive 1 hour one way to work.

BTW, are you the owner of the white Cobra I seen in Haslet?

big
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Lsx>4.6

Lol...another former pumpkin driver here. To the OP ups is union so good luck getting on there. And as far as having no exp. goes, with as many experienced drivers that are looking for work right now you'll probably have a hard time finding work unless you go OTR.....

No more hotrods.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Lol...another former pumpkin driver here. To the OP ups is union so good luck getting on there. And as far as having no exp. goes, with as many experienced drivers that are looking for work right now you'll probably have a hard time finding work unless you go OTR.....
Even though thats a little harsh, its true. Im 20 right now and will be 21 in April, so its a little hard to find an employer that will hire if one is not at least 21. :-/
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmuskie View Post
BTW, are you the owner of the white Cobra I seen in Haslet?
No, I had an 89 GT, but it got totaled courtesy of an illegal mexican with no license and no insurance.

Quote:
Even though thats a little harsh, its true. Im 20 right now and will be 21 in April, so its a little hard to find an employer that will hire if one is not at least 21. :-/

A high percentage of the local driving gigs require you to have 1-2 years experience (bare minimum), and be at least 23yrs old.

One job that I just interviewed for requires a year of experience, a spotless MVR and DAC and you have to be at least 25yrs old. (the older you are... the cheaper the insurance is for them)

I hate to say it, but OTR is your only option, unless you can get hired on by the soda or beer companies.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

I'l be more than happy to work for a coke company, but I don't know where to look for the positions opened. I've tried going to the websites but can't seem to find what im looking for
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Time Served

Quote:
No, I had an 89 GT, but it got totaled courtesy of an illegal mexican with no license and no insurance.
Damn, sorry to hear that. The only Fox I seen was at the Dallas drivers parking lot and it was a 5.0 LX hatch.

Quote:
A high percentage of the local driving gigs require you to have 1-2 years experience (bare minimum), and be at least 23yrs old.

One job that I just interviewed for requires a year of experience, a spotless MVR and DAC and you have to be at least 25yrs old. (the older you are... the cheaper the insurance is for them)

I hate to say it, but OTR is your only option, unless you can get hired on by the soda or beer companies.
Brian22's right, sure most people don't like OTR, but it's alright. I did flatbed for about 1.5 years OTR. Me being 23 at the time, it was fun. I've been to places I would have never gone to before. I would be out 3 weeks to a month at a time and having no easy access to retail shopping, I would have nice chunk of change in bank.

You gotta start somewhere, who knows, you may like it.

Sunset Transportation, a local rock hauling company, last I heard only required 3 months experience. You might have luck applying at other aggregate or excavation driving jobs.

Have you tried bubbajunk.com?

Good luck with the job search.

big
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Lol...another former pumpkin driver here.
I would like to say Schneider's a good company, but then again we're former employees. Hell, they're no different then any other major trucking company. Each one has their likes and dislikes, It's just a matter of which one's bullshit are you willing to put up with.

Early on in my driving career, I laughed when I heard someone say over the CB "Don't hit the big orange construction barrels, they're Schneider eggs" LMFAO

big
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmuskie View Post
I would like to say Schneider's a good company, but then again we're former employees. Hell, they're no different then any other major trucking company. Each one has their likes and dislikes, It's just a matter of which one's bullshit are you willing to put up with.
I was content while i was there. Don't get me wrong, I hated being out on the road. But my DBL and my dispatcher were both really good and they actually did care about the drivers. And they did their best to keep me close to dallas so I could have the chance to stop in dallas for the night and go home for the night at least twice a week.

What caused me to ultimately leave was back in late september a Costco dedicated account opened up, and I tried to get onto it. But Green Bay stepped over all the drivers and handed the jobs to the Dallas Instructors that were being forced back out on the road. And then I tried to go work behind the fuel desk there at the Dallas OC, but they gave the job to someone else. I ended up leaving in late october for a local job driving for Pepsi in mesquite, but got laid off from that one a few weeks after I started it.

The other thing that had always irritated me was absolutely no APU's on the trucks and knowing that they would never install any just for the sake of "driver comfort".

They started getting really really anal about idling, and they bitched at me several times about it. But after a 3 day stretch in Laredo in late august and idling the truck for 82hrs straight... (They bitched me out pretty badly for that one), but I told them, either put me in a hotel, give me an APU or get me the hell out of the south texas wasteland. And that the truck and the air conditioner would be running until they did one of the 3.

So, like anyone, I had my gripes, but they never screwed up my pay, they always got me decent miles, I collected about $2000 in breakdown pay until they decided to give me a new truck. I also collected close to $2200 in layover the whole time I was there.

But like everyone else, I had to start somewhere, and I went into the job knowing that this is one of those thing that I would have to do in order to eventually get a good paying local driving job.

Last edited by Brian22; 01-30-2009 at 11:45 AM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I just recently got my Class A cdl and I am looking for a company hiring local drivers. Im going to some other searches but I'd figure I would ask here. Thanks for any references.
Try calling up the Peter built dealership in Irving off 183 and ask about being a contract deliver driver. I use to deliver the new trucks that people bought from there all across the country. You just drive the cab and get paid pretty good. The only bad thing is you only went out when someone bought a truck and needed you to deliver it. You also can do the local runs from there if another company close by bought a cab or cabs. My biggest cab load was to deliver 12 single trucks to a rental company 5 miles from the station and got paid $50 a pop. When I did the OTR delivery. I got paid about .40 cents a mile and would sometimes have 2 trucks to deliver, so I would go come back, then go out again. I could easily make $1200 in 3-4 days.

Red and White 98R1...Look now cause in a second I'm gonna pass you

You can pass me now, sold the bike =(
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Time Served

Quote:

The other thing that had always irritated me was absolutely no APU's on the trucks and knowing that they would never install any just for the sake of "driver comfort".

They started getting really really anal about idling, and they bitched at me several times about it. But after a 3 day stretch in Laredo in late august and idling the truck for 82hrs straight... (They bitched me out pretty badly for that one), but I told them, either put me in a hotel, give me an APU or get me the hell out of the south texas wasteland. And that the truck and the air conditioner would be running until they did one of the 3.
I hired on straight into intermodal (daycab). For obvious reasons we didn't need APU's, but what got me was the drivers sleeping at the Dallas OC on a humid summer night and no AC. Substitute driver comfort for fuel savings, that's bullshit.

As you stated, the dispatchers and associates were good people, but the administrative thinking of certain things was ridiculous.

We were also told "no idling and no overspeed". Thankful for me, my Qualcomm had broke a couple months after I been there and it never registered anything. It was like that till I quit alittle over a year later. Knocked me out of bonuses, but not having big brother watch my every move was worth it.

big
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:41 AM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:

Universal Forrest Products are always looking for CDL drivers

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Lifer

My dad works for Sunset Logistics as a rock hauler. I'm not sure if they're hiring, but never hurts to call.

Sunset Logistics
7200 Midway Rd
Fort Worth, TX 76118 Map

(817) 590-2989
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Time Served

No long haul exp good luck.The gas co are slow.They would hire any one for low wages,but its biteing them in the ass cause of DOT with accidents and other stupid stuff
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Doing things the lazy way

check out polyamerica in gp they always have a sign up saying they are hiring drivers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement