Question with resume - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Question with resume

So I've been working with a recruiting agency since January of this year and I'm on my second contract assignment with them. The first one was 8 months, this one should be about 10. The problem is that my intentions is to find direct-hire, permanent placement somewhere and get out of this crappy "temp" job stuff which was suppose to be a "foot in the door" to get back into the IT world. My resume was looking pretty good showing stability and long term commitment until this year, now it's starting to scream "job hopper". I'm about to update it with the second job(contract) but I'm thinking if it's a better idea to just list the recruiting company as the employer, make a note of being a consultant and list the job descriptions of what I did on these contracts. I haven't seen any resumes written this way so I'm not sure if this would be a good idea or if I should just keep all the jobs listed individually.

The goal is to avoid listing a bunch of short term jobs and want to give the image of being a stable, worthy investment for a company. By the way, my experience is with desktop support so the resume is IT related.

What's your thoughts?

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Gun Nut- Got Lead?

I like it. List the temp agency as the employer and the companies as the projects you worked on.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Lifer

If you ain't lyin' , you ain't tryin'!

01 GT Vert.... FINALLY!!!! "They Ain't 20's but I keep 'em clean"

Texas State women are *too* down!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
What the fuck is going on?! White people are not supposed to be treated this way!

4gifs.com

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk
I like it. List the temp agency as the employer and the companies as the projects you worked on.
I'd do the same thing.

Chuck
2001 Black Bullitt (For Sale)
2009 Black JK Unlimited X, M6, 35's
www.imboc.com
Rob (Tweakd) Memorial 3/13/05
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 03:58 PM
mannish boy

yup yup...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 PM

I have a job hopping problem and until recently it took forever to find a job so deff stay away from that. smart man
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 03:18 PM
duh...duh....duh

When I review IT resumes if it has (Contract Position) listed on the side of the job title or company, I understand.

If I see a bunch of hops without any indication why, that's when it raises a red flag for me. Typically even that would not stop me from interviewing that person, recommending for interview (if resume indicates skill fit) or recommending for hire.

My '03 Sold.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

thanks for the feedback.

Looks like it may have paid off..or at least it was about time. After 1 full year of my job search, looks like I finally got a job offer for a permanent position. Seems to be a pretty good opportunity...we'll see....cause contract/temp work is demeaning.

George
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Lifer

I also find myself in this position...Which staffing agency where you working with? Im working with Teksystems...longest contract so far is only 1 month
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownGT
I also find myself in this position...Which staffing agency where you working with? Im working with Teksystems...longest contract so far is only 1 month

I'm with TekSystems also. I broke the news to them yesterday. The place I'm at now is at 635 and the Tollway. If you're interested, I can give you my recruiter's contact info. They need to find someone that good at desktop support to replace me...the nice thing is that this place isn't help desk...my phone never rings. I also got a lot of job opp's from someone at Matrix if you want his too.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement