Need a Job - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Need a Job

The job I'm currently in has me contemplating suicide every time I walk in the door. Anybody hiring for anything that doesn't involve a help desk? I'll even take a small pay cut.

At the end of my rope,

Geof

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Genetically Blessed

Well, I know we spoke about getting something here. I guess I had too many drinks to remember what you finally said. I know when I mentioned it, you said, "Isn't this the place you hate?" Yeah, it is, but the computer guys have it way better than the operations guys. We have a system administrator posting up right now.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
Well, I know we spoke about getting something here. I guess I had too many drinks to remember what you finally said. I know when I mentioned it, you said, "Isn't this the place you hate?" Yeah, it is, but the computer guys have it way better than the operations guys. We have a system administrator posting up right now.
Well, working for the company I'm currently employed with, I learned skills, but they do not transfer into the real world. You see, Blockbuster is still living in 1975. 1975 was the year that the VMS operating system was invented by a company that has been defunct for about 10 years now called Digital Equipment Coporation (DEC). DEC was bought out by Compaq who was bought out by Hewlett Packard. Blockbuster is one of one company that still utilizes the VMS system. On top of that, I only have about 30 hours under my belt in undergrad studies, so I doubt that I'm qualified for the admin position that you're referring to.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
Well, working for the company I'm currently employed with, I learned skills, but they do not transfer into the real world. You see, Blockbuster is still living in 1975. 1975 was the year that the VMS operating system was invented by a company that has been defunct for about 10 years now called Digital Equipment Coporation (DEC). DEC was bought out by Compaq who was bought out by Hewlett Packard. Blockbuster is one of one company that still utilizes the VMS system. On top of that, I only have about 30 hours under my belt in undergrad studies, so I doubt that I'm qualified for the admin position that you're referring to.
You would be suprised as to how many banks still use VMS becasue they are too cheap to roll over to something current.

Buying dogs kills.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
dunno if you want to extend the offer..but my bro in law needs a job and has done system admin stuff for 10 years or so.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement