City of Fort Worth hiring Mechanic - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Banned

City of Fort Worth hiring Mechanic

Hiring a Mech 1 which is an entry level tech. You get 3 weeks vacation a years and perks of working with the city
http://www.fortworthgov.org/HrAppl//...asp?RecID=1291
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Never Enough

I heard working for the city of Ft. Worth can get you out of tickets, if you happen to be wearing your uniform. I haven't checked this out myself to see if it were true

www.myspace.com/r1psycho
www.vimeo.com/r1psycho

2003 Cobra - just a non driving ass
411 hp 399 tq 2-22-08 stock
Not stock, but very slow

RIP *Nanny* Doris Brazil 1-07-31 - 7-16-08
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 12:47 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Do level 3s make decent money? I know they aren't hiring for that, just curious how the city compares to to the post office. For entry level the pay isn't terrible I guess, especially for not being flag time.

<--ASE Master, GM drivability background.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Do level 3s make decent money? I know they aren't hiring for that, just curious how the city compares to to the post office. For entry level the pay isn't terrible I guess, especially for not being flag time.

<--ASE Master, GM drivability background.
You would more than likely only be able to get a 2. 3's are heavy truck/fire truck mech's. Mech 2's and 3's make pretty good money IMO. Im a 2 and with the ASE incentive pay and all I make aroun $19.50-$20 an hour. The great thing is that its not a comission pay. I know some techs make more but their usaully on flag hours.There will be a mech 2 spot opening very shortly so keep an eye on the jobs section.Ill try and see if I can post a link to the pay scale for the city so you can see what every job pays.
The highest you can start off at is an F step in the pay scale.A Mech 1 is $15.40/hour, a mech 2 f step is $18.40/hour and a mech 3 F step is 22.50/hour. There are more steps after F so thats not where the pay stops.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I dont know if this link will work for yall or not so someone let me know.If it does work then scroll down and youll see the job titles and pay scale
http://www.cfwnet.org/hr/Comp/salsched0607.pdf
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Or I can email you the file for the pay scale.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

heres what the mechs make. Im a mech 2 at an F step.But I also get a 50cent an hour raise for working 2nd shift and ase incentive pay(16 ASE's)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen4785
Hiring a Mech 1 which is an entry level tech. You get 3 weeks vacation a years and perks of working with the city
http://www.fortworthgov.org/HrAppl//...asp?RecID=1291

hell if they'll train me, I'll apply

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

whats up this is junior from james. how do u like the dark side? i would like to go over there see if u can put in a good word for me. yeah having that uniform helps out alot gotten me out of some tickets.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454ormore
whats up this is junior from james. how do u like the dark side? i would like to go over there see if u can put in a good word for me. yeah having that uniform helps out alot gotten me out of some tickets.
Just tell terry that you want to tranfer over soon as possible. I like it a lot more than James. Fixing the same stuff on cop cars gets old quick. Over here there are a lot of different vehicles/equipment to work on. You not liking James anymore?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutherjuggz
hell if they'll train me, I'll apply
Youd be a big hit with all the mechs.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Founding Member

How much is family insurance? A friend works for Denton County and they provide tools.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

no its not bad just thinking about a change been working on the police cars 7 years now. i think brennon would be the only place i would go wanna work on the fire trucks. talked to kelly today didn't seem like there was any positions open
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:58 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Not too bad considering the city benefits. Thanks for the info.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 02:32 AM
Doughnut Lover!

Quote:
no its not bad just thinking about a change been working on the police cars 7 years now. i think brennon would be the only place i would go wanna work on the fire trucks. talked to kelly today didn't seem like there was any positions open
Hey, if I bring in my crappy V-6 Charger will you accidentally put a V-8 in it?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Youd be a big hit with all the mechs.

LOL well, that's not exactly what I was looking for

I wish I knew squat about being a mechanic...that stuff truly interests me

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutherjuggz
LOL well, that's not exactly what I was looking for

I wish I knew squat about being a mechanic...that stuff truly interests me
Its not impossible. If you really wanted to get into it I would suggest keeping an eye out for a service writer position. If you got that job you could get familiar with the lingo pretty quickly and start talking to the shop supervisors about becoming a mech 1. They've got a female mechanic over at The James shop that in the high school apprenticeship program. Their willing tobring in new people and have them trained. I just dont think if you went in for a mech 1 interview and didnt have any knowledge or tools they would hire you as one.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19
How much is family insurance? A friend works for Denton County and they provide tools.
Not really that bad compared to the other places Iv worked at.My dr visit co-pay is $15. Iv got the best insurnace they offer cause I had surgery at the first of the year. My wifes co-pay is $25(she works for the city also). I think the surgery cap is $2000. You pay a certain % of the bill up to $2000 and then everything is covered past that. I think I pay $20 bi-weekly for mine. They also offer a flexiable spending account for employees that have been with the city more than 3 years(I think 3 years). Basicly you can get a medical credit card with up to $4000 on it. You choose how ever much you'll need then they split it up and take out what ever amount you chose by how many pay checks you get that year.So they they divide what ever amount by 26. Came in handy for me and the wife. She got $2000 on it last year and I sepnt every bit if it on my surgery.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Just keep checking with Kelly. There arent any spots open right now becasue Wayne is probably gonna move over the Brennan shortly. If you keep bugging him so he doesnt forget he'll have you over here. That and soon as my probabtion period is up Im gonna apply for a senior mechanic spot so there will be a mech 2 spot open.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Its not impossible. If you really wanted to get into it I would suggest keeping an eye out for a service writer position. If you got that job you could get familiar with the lingo pretty quickly and start talking to the shop supervisors about becoming a mech 1. They've got a female mechanic over at The James shop that in the high school apprenticeship program. Their willing tobring in new people and have them trained. I just dont think if you went in for a mech 1 interview and didnt have any knowledge or tools they would hire you as one.

well shit

guess I'll have to start from scratch like everyone else

jk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement