Almost have A&P license need job. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

Almost have A&P license need job.

I am about 1 month away from having my A&P license. I know that you can go into many areas of work with this not just aviation. I am just wondering if anyone on here knows of a job that I can get into now with the potential to move into a position of being a mechanic once I have my license. I have no experience in aviation so I would need training at any FBO on what they are working on. I am however very mechanically inclined and am a fast learner. Also, I have tools. I am looking to get my foot in the door and get a few good years of experience and maybe make a career out of the place depending on the growth potential there. I know several of you guys are in the aviation field so let me know if there is ANYTHING available where you are. I am tired of my current job and since I am so close to having my license I want to try to get my foot in the door.

Best something in Texas.... just don't know what it is yet....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Lifer

I have seen some positions for a A&P Mechanic but cannot remember what company it was for. Have you thought about working for the airlines?

1998 Black SVT Cobra #2885
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

of course I have thought about the airlines, only a few of them have a program to teach new mechanics though. There is only one in the Dallas area that I know of. I need to stay in the Dallas area. With a new house I just cant relocate right now. I have found hundreds of A&P mechanic jobs in the area but they all require exp. in something.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

You don't happen to be in TCC's aviation program do you?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

Nope, it is one of the cheapest in the area but takes twice as long.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:17 PM
6t6
Time Served

try this

Get on with the Airline you want to work for in a entry level position.
Ramp agent, provo agent, customer service agent, etc
Typically your have 3 month probation and a 6-12 month time in job requirment.
After that you can apply within to the mechanic apprentice program and becuase you already have a employee number you go ahead of ALL external applicants. Works for Dispatchers too!

Don't get married. Just find someone you hate and buy her a house.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Texas Gumballer

what area do you live in?

Depending on the area I can get you in contact with some FBO's

edit: I just read you last post...Try Cutter Avaition @ Dallas Excutive, Jet Aviation @ Love and General Dynamics @ Love.

I worked @ Raytheon @ Love(no longer there) and got my A&P thru OJT with them.

Send me a resume to [email protected] and I'll pass it to whoever I can for ya!

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

I have contacted Jet already along with countless others, I am looking for just about any entry level position with a decent place. Like I said I have NO aviation experience and my resume reflects that. where are you at now Gonzo?

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t6
Get on with the Airline you want to work for in a entry level position.
Ramp agent, provo agent, customer service agent, etc
Typically your have 3 month probation and a 6-12 month time in job requirment.
After that you can apply within to the mechanic apprentice program and becuase you already have a employee number you go ahead of ALL external applicants. Works for Dispatchers too!

Exactly what he said when i worked for AA on the ramp as a FSC i had a guy that was in Catering that just finished his A&P and transferred right into that DEPT. with no experience.

05 Yamaha R6- Not stock anymore
90 Eagle Talon TSi- Yeah it's slow
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Texas Gumballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline 6
I have contacted Jet already along with countless others, I am looking for just about any entry level position with a decent place. Like I said I have NO aviation experience and my resume reflects that. where are you at now Gonzo?

I'm no longer workin as a A& P now...havent turned a wrench since May of 05.

I still know alot of people @ alot places and can help as much as I can.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Get Some!! Get some!!

Airlines are hard to get on with right now. I used to work for Delta Airlines but was laid off after 911. I would go with an FBO and get some experience. Not having any experience is not a bad thing I know alot of guys that got on with an Airline with Zero experience. I work at AAC at love Field my advice even if they are not hiring give them a resume anyway. I have turned in resumes with companys that were not even hiring and I got a call. Also look into contracting.

website to look at

Aviation employment.com
jsfirm.com
jetjobs.com not sure if it still exists
avjobs.com
** you will even find jobs on monsterjobs.com

Good luck and btw 90% of what you learned in A&P school you will never use....
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Dodging hurricanes

Contracting is the only way to get hired in the aviation field after sept 11. Most aviation companies want to hire contractors now versus employees. That way when things get slow they can let you go. Finish your A&P and then give your resume to strom, aerotek or any of the other local contract compianes.
As far as general dynamics and gulfstream they wont hire you as a mechanic unless you have your A&P.

02 lightning
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk5.0
Contracting is the only way to get hired in the aviation field after sept 11. Most aviation companies want to hire contractors now versus employees. That way when things get slow they can let you go. Finish your A&P and then give your resume to strom, aerotek or any of the other local contract compianes.
As far as general dynamics and gulfstream they wont hire you as a mechanic unless you have your A&P.

Really? My brother in law was offered a position with SWA before he even finished school......
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
Really? My brother in law was offered a position with SWA before he even finished school......

I doubt it was a mechanics position. He is probably an appearance tech, baggage ape, or on the line. As far as I know and I am sure someone on here can verify, If you are a new mechanic you must apply to the apprentice program and take a test. If you pass the test and you have enough seniority you can be one of the 3 people that they take in every 3 months. Dallas has the only apprentice program to become a mechanic for SW and you are competing against all of the other employees in all the other cities to get in. If they have more seniority then you do then you are fucked until everyone in front of you gets in and then there is the possibility that the next time the test comes around that there will be people that did not take it last time that do so and they may have more seniority than you do as well and will go in front of you. Any idiot with a clean record can work for SWA, you HAVE to have your A&P already in hand to even apply for the apprentice program. The way the contract is written they do take a very small number of outside applicants but I am unsure of the criteria and from what I heard those guys "know somebody"

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Time Served

Don't forget the other areas of aviation besides big airplanes. Helicopters, small airplanes, etc. I've made a great living working on little stuff and helicopters.

Check out www.ssheli.com. look in employment, you will need to finish your license first, but they start at a good wage.

Go to the local municiple airports and check out local shops and flight schools. May not be what you want for a career, but a lot of them will hire you before you finish your license, and you can build some aviation experiance.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

I would love to work for silver state helis. I have already put my app in there as well... I was thinking the same thing about going to the municipal airports in the area and just walking in every door I can.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline 6
I doubt it was a mechanics position. He is probably an appearance tech, baggage ape, or on the line. As far as I know and I am sure someone on here can verify, If you are a new mechanic you must apply to the apprentice program and take a test. If you pass the test and you have enough seniority you can be one of the 3 people that they take in every 3 months. Dallas has the only apprentice program to become a mechanic for SW and you are competing against all of the other employees in all the other cities to get in. If they have more seniority then you do then you are fucked until everyone in front of you gets in and then there is the possibility that the next time the test comes around that there will be people that did not take it last time that do so and they may have more seniority than you do as well and will go in front of you. Any idiot with a clean record can work for SWA, you HAVE to have your A&P already in hand to even apply for the apprentice program. The way the contract is written they do take a very small number of outside applicants but I am unsure of the criteria and from what I heard those guys "know somebody"

Double checked with him. He was offered an appearance tech position, until he completes school in September at which point he'll go in to the apprentice program.

He doesn't "know somebody" persay. His school sent him to some nationwide competition to compete with other techs/students. He did very well, apparently. The VP of something or another for SWA personally walked up to him, and asked him if he wanted a job. The guy told him not to take it lightly. He had no idea who the guy was, until he got back from the competition in FL.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 07:10 PM
blank

I work on planes full time for the Texas Air National Guard as a civilian with no A&P and make 23hr and i'm the low man. No nights and only one weekend a month. ... You will be on night shift for years working for the airlines.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 04:49 AM
Get Some!! Get some!!

Quote:
hmmm does your brother-in laws name happen to be Josh If so I work with him..
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

Quote:
Double checked with him. He was offered an appearance tech position, until he completes school in September at which point he'll go in to the apprentice program.

He doesn't "know somebody" persay. His school sent him to some nationwide competition to compete with other techs/students. He did very well, apparently. The VP of something or another for SWA personally walked up to him, and asked him if he wanted a job. The guy told him not to take it lightly. He had no idea who the guy was, until he got back from the competition in FL.

what is his name? If I do not know him I probably have friends that do.

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:26 PM
F=W x A / g

Jet Direct @ Love Field

Many of our line service employees have transferred into maintenance. We are an FBO Previously known as Regal Aviation. We are about to be a Jet Corp repair station. We now have over 200 business jets in our Charter and they are still in the aquisition process.

Apply for line service and get your foot in the door.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

I already did! I put in my app. about 1.5 months ago and have called on it about 5 times.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 02:59 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 04:04 AM
Gunga galunga

Congrats on getting your liscense... My brother in law worked for American out at Alliance ( repair station ) But, he is right of school himself and got an offer from Rolls Royce in Indianapolis, ( relocated ) but he is making pretty good money, the went back and forth on pay, but they ended up at 85k, and paid his apt lease off here and supplied a rent house for the first year of reloacting. He is single though not sure of your situation.. Hell, try the repair station at Alliance, and good luck!

"Apres moi le deluge"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement