Carrollton Fire Dept. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Carrollton Fire Dept.

All you need is 45hrs of college!
The city will pay for all your fire/emt schooling.

We will be accepting applications June 5-16, 2006. All packets must be in the Human Resources department by close of business on June 16, 2006. These packets can be picked up from Human Resources located at City Hall; 1945 E. Jackson Rd. or they will be available to download during that time period on the city of carrollton web page.

Here is all the info about the job.......

CITY OF CARROLLTON

FIREFIGHTER

QUALIFICATIONS AND BENEFITS

The City of Carrollton Fire Department conducts a Civil Service entrance exam once a year.
Please view the employment opportunities or call our job hotline for updates at (972) 466-3376.

QUALIFICATIONS

Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 35 as provided by Chapter 143, Section .023(a)(b) of the Texas Local Government Code.

Applicants must meet the following requirements: ·

Successfully completed 45 semester hours of courses from an accredited college or university. An official transcript(s) which verifies the 45 hours, must be turned in with the application.
Pass a written examination with a minimum score of 70.
All applicants who are hired become probationary firefighters and must commit to the following requirements of employment: ·

Obtain a Texas "Regular B" driver's license within six months. ·
Attend, complete and pass a fire training school within twelve months. ·
Maintain a satisfactory rating on monthly performance evaluation reports. ·
Pass a written exam with a minimum score of 70 after six months and after twelve months. ·
Attend and successfully complete training as an Emergency Medical Technician and Paramedic. ·
Refrain from using tobacco products in any form.
Veterans
As provided in Chapter 143 Section .025(e) of the Texas Local Government Code, applicants wishing to receive veteran's points (5 pts.) on the entrance exam, must produce a DD214 Form for active duty or an NGB Form 22 for National Guard service indicating an honorable discharge.

Physical Agility
Applicants who are selected for the final employment process must be able to pass tests designed to evaluate strength, coordination, physical ability, and physical agility necessary to perform routine fire department tasks.

Height/Weight
Weight must be proportionate to height.

Medical Exam
Applicants who are selected for the final employment process must pass a physical examination and pre-employment drug test administered by a doctor of the City's choice with the fee to be paid by the City. Visual acuity must be at least 20/40 in each eye without correction, or corrected to 20/20 in the better eye and at least 20/50 in the lesser eye.

Driver's License
Applicants must possess a valid driver's license. The driving record of applicants who are selected for the final employment process will be checked.

Background Check
A background check covering previous employment, credit history, and criminal record will be conducted on each applicant selected for the final employment process. The background check will also include a polygraph examination.

Interviews
Applicants who pass the written examination and all other screening steps outlined above will receive an oral interview prior to hire.

BENEFITS

Salary -- 2006

Firefighter Hourly Monthly Annual
2080 -- 2912
Starting $22.0938 -- $15.7813 $3,829.58 $45,955.00
12 Month $23.1982 -- $16,5701 $4,021.02 $48,252.24
18 Month $24,3578 -- $17.3984 $4,222.02 $50,664.21
36 Month $25.5759 -- $18.2685 $4,433.15 $53,197.83
60 Month $26.5987 -- $18.9991 $4,610.44 $55,325.24

INCENTIVE PAY:

Education: All Carrollton Fire Fighters earn $50.00 per month for 60 hours of approved college credit or $100.00 per month for an approved Bachelors Degree.

Texas Firefighter Certification: All Carrollton Fire Fighters earn $50.00 per month for holding an Intermediate Certificate, $100.00 per month for holding an Advanced Certificate. Fire Fighters with a Master Certificate earn $150.00 per month.

Longevity: $4.00 per month for each year of service to a maximum of $1200.00 per year.

Equipment: Uniforms and protective equipment are furnished by the department.

Holidays: There are eight (8) paid holidays given annually to each employee.

Vacation: All Carrollton Fire Fighters accrue 15 days of vacation per year. Vacation days may be used after 6 months of service. Upon retirement or termination, Fire Fighters will be paid for a maximum of 432 unused hours.

Sick Leave: All Carrollton Fire Fighters accrue 15 days of sick leave per year, with unlimited accrual. Upon retirement or termination, all shift Fire Fighters will be paid for a maximum of 1,440 unused hours of accumulated leave. All nonshift Fire Fighters will receive 960 hours after completion of 1 year of service.

Insurance: All Carrollton Fire Fighters become eligible for participation in the City Insurance Programs on the date they are hired.

Medical: Each employee has the option to choose between two levels of PPN insurance plans. The plans are available at low cost to the employee and at reduced cost for their dependents.

Dental: Each employee is provided dental insurance at no cost or at low cost depending on the program chosen. Employee dependents may be added at additional cost.

Life: Each employee is provided life insurance equal to 2 times their annual salary.

Retirement: All Carrollton Fire Fighters are required to be members of the Texas Municipal Retirement System. The employee contributes 7% and the City matches the contribution 2:1. An employee may retire at 20 years of service at any age or 5 years of service at age 60. TMRS also provides a life insurance policy equal to one (1) times the annual salary.

Deferred Compensation: The City of Carrollton offers a deferred compensation program (457) to shelter a portion of your gross annual salary. The deferred portion is placed into investment options chosen by the employee and may be withdrawn at termination or retirement. If the employee contributes a minimum of 4.65%, the City will match at 2.35%. There is no vesting time to acquire the matching percent.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Time Served

crap man not enough college but i am a certified peace officer.

00 Excursion PSD tuned and bolt-ons (very quick for 5ton truck )
03 Toyota Prius "MarioKart"
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Time Served

i have plenty of hours behind a fire "hose" does that count?

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Lifer

was a little confused on that pay scale, what does it pay for a newb?
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthustler
was a little confused on that pay scale, what does it pay for a newb?

$45,955/yr starting at the moment.

There are Incentive pays also if you qualify for any of them.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 05:48 PM
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYHORSE
$45,955/yr starting at the moment.

There are Incentive pays also if you qualify for any of them.
Damn, that's bad ass! I barely make that at lowe's and I have been there for 6 years and I'm in management! I wish I had the college hour's cause' I would be there with ya!

winner of 5 out of 9 at the 2007 spring cruise!
winner of 2 out of 4 at Redline 7/21/07
winner of 4 out of 5 at the 10/21/07 fall cruise!
2009 spring cruise- won 1 out of 2 races!!!!!!
2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Just shy on my hours...
Maybe next year...

Just out of curiosity how are you liking it?(obviously enough to be working there, just wondered about more inside info since you are a fire fighter)

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooterWS6
Just shy on my hours...
Maybe next year...

Just out of curiosity how are you liking it?(obviously enough to be working there, just wondered about more inside info since you are a fire fighter)

You couldnt have a better job. Really.
I love coming to work each shift. Seeing ppl die can be taxing at times but it's not bad.
You only work 10 days a month. Plenty of time to work on the house or have another job or work on cars.... whatever. Carrollton is a really good city to work for also. They are pretty laid back compared to most cities.

If anyone has any questions let me know and i'll try and help.

Remember all you need is 45hrs of college. Thats it.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Quote:
You couldnt have a better job. Really.
I love coming to work each shift. Seeing ppl die can be taxing at times but it's not bad.
You only work 10 days a month. Plenty of time to work on the house or have another job or work on cars.... whatever. Carrollton is a really good city to work for also. They are pretty laid back compared to most cities.

If anyone has any questions let me know and i'll try and help.

Remember all you need is 45hrs of college. Thats it.
Cool thanks!
My main concern was with how much medical attention you guys do.
I can run in a burning building, put out a fire, but some of the other aspects like horrific accidents might be kind of difficult...
How much medical attention do you guys give at the scene?(Or do you usually stabilize until the ambulance team arrives?)
It does seem like a great job though, and I didnt know that you had that much free time off, deffinant perk!
Are most of the cities the same on duty/time, pay etc?(In case Carrollton isnt hiring next year)

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooterWS6
Cool thanks!
My main concern was with how much medical attention you guys do.
I can run in a burning building, put out a fire, but some of the other aspects like horrific accidents might be kind of difficult...
How much medical attention do you guys give at the scene?(Or do you usually stabilize until the ambulance team arrives?)
It does seem like a great job though, and I didnt know that you had that much free time off, deffinant perk!
Are most of the cities the same on duty/time, pay etc?(In case Carrollton isnt hiring next year)

All are 24hrs on 48hrs off.

We go to every call the ambulance goes to. The ambulance does not go on medical calls without the engine also. So yes we do get a LOT of Medical calls. The calls vary from really serious to nothing.
Most citys require the fire/emt certs already. Carrollton, Garland, Mesquite, Denton, Fort Worth are a few that dont.
Plano pays the most starting at $50k a year so you see Carrollton pays very good.
Carrollton will be hiring at least a few for next few years. 50% of the dept. could retire right now.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Just gonna say thats an awesome pay. Most cities want fire/medic and start just over that. They must be hurting for people.

Wade - being an emtb you wont do shit. You will more than likely be the one driving. Medics do all the real work, EMT's splint bones take vitals, thats about it. You have to be a medic to do anything else.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 02:06 AM
I'm going Commando

Exclamation

Sweeet....where do I send my resume? I meet all the requirements and then some!!

-MattB
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I dont want to leed everyone on, to think it's going to be easy.
There will be atleast 500 people testing for 2-5 positions.

Some citys there around 3000 ppl testing for around 5-10 positions.
Military guys do get an extra 5 pts on the civil service test which is what starts the hiring process.

You will need at least a 98 out of a 100.
I've scored 99's out of a 100 in some cities and never even got a call.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Time Served

What if you were already a certified firefighter/EMT would you still need the college hours? I just graduated from high school and I would like to become a firefighter. I was thinking of getting a bachelors degree in something and then getting certified as a fire/EMT person.

01 WS6 Slammed, built trans, 3200 stall, 150hsw wet kit
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleFed342Vert
What if you were already a certified firefighter/EMT would you still need the college hours? I just graduated from high school and I would like to become a firefighter. I was thinking of getting a bachelors degree in something and then getting certified as a fire/EMT person.
your best bet to get a fire job is to get a medic certification. most places will hire medics and send you to fire school.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleFed342Vert

Doesnt matter, you need 45hrs of college. (In Carrollton)
If your already certified like i was then the city just saves money by not having to send you to school. You just go straight to shift.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm going Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB
Sweeet....where do I send my resume? I meet all the requirements and then some!!

-MattB
Not to mention Mom wrote the exam that all the firefighters take.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 12:43 AM
tex
Lifer

Exams vary, Ryan.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Lifer

where can i download the app online?

Went here and cant find it.

https://www.cityofcarrollton.com/gov...equalben.shtml
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthustler
where can i download the app online?

Went here and cant find it.

https://www.cityofcarrollton.com/gov...equalben.shtml
Go to "departments" then "fire" then "employment" on the same website.

You also get an overtime diff pay from the city that is not on the pay scale. It's half pay for every hr over 40 you work a week. That's a couple thousand more a year.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 08:03 AM
I'm going Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Exams vary, Ryan.
Well the one for Carrollton, I should say. Which I shouldn't have to say, since Carrollton was the city that the thread was posted about.

Ass.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I dont want to leed everyone on, to think it's going to be easy.
There will be atleast 500 people testing for 2-5 positions.

Some citys there around 3000 ppl testing for around 5-10 positions.
Military guys do get an extra 5 pts on the civil service test which is what starts the hiring process.

You will need at least a 98 out of a 100.
I've scored 99's out of a 100 in some cities and never even got a call.

That was my question. i figured there would be a small chance of actually getting the job. Also, in my opionion, Fighting Fires isn't a spur of the moment job that you try for just because it sounds cool...I have thought long and hard about it. I finally got the nerve to apply to test this fall. But i know it's a long process.

Redwings in 6
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72F100390bb
That was my question. i figured there would be a small chance of actually getting the job. Also, in my opionion, Fighting Fires isn't a spur of the moment job that you try for just because it sounds cool...I have thought long and hard about it. I finally got the nerve to apply to test this fall. But i know it's a long process.

Yeah, you'd be very lucky or very smart to just go take a test and get hired after 1 or 2 trys. Your scores will continue to rise as you take more and more test for different city's. It took me 3 years to finally get on after testing in 15 different citys.
If you stay with it and really want to be a firefighter you will get hired sometime.
Just keep doing more and more of the schooling on your own dime. While your testing.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Time Served

this will be my first test. Where do i get the info to study? is there a packet that comes via mail? or just general info i should study?

Redwings in 6
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72F100390bb
this will be my first test. Where do i get the info to study? is there a packet that comes via mail? or just general info i should study?

Some citys send out a packet. I cant remember if Carrollton does or not. I'd search the internet for some practice Civil Service test for the fire dept.
Thats all it is, a civil service test.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 05:44 PM
6t6
Time Served

Quote:
All are 24hrs on 48hrs off.

We go to every call the ambulance goes to. The ambulance does not go on medical calls without the engine also. So yes we do get a LOT of Medical calls. The calls vary from really serious to nothing.
Most citys require the fire/emt certs already. Carrollton, Garland, Mesquite, Denton, Fort Worth are a few that dont.
Plano pays the most starting at $50k a year so you see Carrollton pays very good.
Carrollton will be hiring at least a few for next few years. 50% of the dept. could retire right now.

Why is that, the fire truck go on call with the ambulances?
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t6
Why is that, the fire truck go on call with the ambulances?
Mainly for man power. Every Engine has at least one medic on it and rest are EMT's. If your have a 400lb person you're trying to put on a cot or get in the back of an ambulance your going to need more than 2 people. Another example, if your doing CPR on someone it's hard to get everything done with only 2 ppl. You compressions, airway, IV, drugs, transport, and so on....
You may also get a patient twist off on you and need help there, or need a driver to drive the medic when you need at least 2 in the back. You get the idea...

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Lifer

What kind of opportunity is there for someone with an advanced bachelors degree? I may know someone. I know they would have to start somewhere but where can someone like that move up to? Investigations, etc?
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Lifer

Damn, if I only had the hours...

Lifted truck to get me there and a single speed bike to ride it.

'02 Dodge quad caB- 6 inch on 35's.
07 Polaris Predator 500
And a whole mess of bikes.
Mustang again, soon....
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Check out my decor!

My brother has gone throught the academy but he is taking EMT again. His certification ran out. I will tell him about this.

http://www.myspace.com/missgirl01

Happiness is not a goal, but a way of life.

post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Good Luck to anyone taking the test tomorrow!!

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Thumbs up

Fort Worth will start hiring soon. I love it here. Same schedule, a little lower pay but awesome promotion potential and great people to work with.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Forgot to mention no college necessary! Just high school diploma or GED
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Trailer Park Royalty

when will ft worth be hiring. i am planning to start taking fire/emt classes in the fall.

Will this be any help as far as college hours or am i better off just to take my basics?

03 cobra 450/443--2.93 upper, JLT CAI, o/r x, dumped flows, SRA w/3.73s
94 Z71-dd
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Not really sure when, nothing is certain in these big cities but it should be between august and october. They will announce it in the newspaper for sure. Best bet is to call Fire Training Center in Fort Worth and ask, if they don't know, call every week cause things change so quick. You will have about 2-4 weeks to apply when the time comes. PM me if you need any additional info when you apply and I will tell you what I know. We stay out of the loop most of the time though. They follow civil service policy and typically have about 2000-3000 applicants. Dont let it discourage you, half dont even pass the test and some walk out.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, i was surprised. We only had 105 show up for the test this year and the high score was only 99. A 95 would have been in the top 10 for sure.

There will be well over 1500 at the Fort Worth exam. I took that one 2 years ago.

07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement