part-time MECP certified car audio installer needed asap - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
bottle baby

part-time MECP certified car audio installer needed asap

I will be transfering to the Denton Best Buy and my managers won't let me leave until we find a replacement. So I'm looking for a part-time MECP certified installer to work here at the Best Buy in Lewisville right across from Vista Ridge Mall asap.

-Must be 18 years or older
-MECP certified
-Good knowledge of car audio and willingness to learn more
-Already have a toolbox with tools, or money to get the required tools within 30 days of hire

If you know someone, or are wanting the spot, post back on here so I can tell my managers, or call the store at 972-315-6024 and ask for Larry Walker. Get a head start and apply on bestbuy.com (b/c youre doing to have to do that anyway to work here).

Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 06:17 AM
Lifer

you got to be certified to install stereos now?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 06:22 AM
Lifer

If you know your head from your ass, the MECP basic cert is pretty easy.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 06:56 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer12
you got to be certified to install stereos now?
Just at the mass retailers. MECP has been around for 10+ years and is a little more advanced than ASE's electrical test. Like ASE though neither one matters much to most other businesses.

Try putting an aftermarket alarm on an 05-06 Titan or Pathfinder Armada and you'll understand why you don't want Bubba's Bait and Stereo working on your car

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

I am not sure which is more telling....

a- best buy "demanding" MECP....
b- MECP-basic being a joke (yes I know that makes me a joke)
c- the integration that Best buy does being a joke
d- Anyone worth their VOM or crimpers is in-tune with the WWW... the info about the newest vehicle's " secrects" is out there... WE as professionals know how to find the answers.... its about Time management... How can you use your down time to make yourself more $$??
e- when it comes to alarms... I let them do it... let them deal with the headaches... stereo/sound quality?.... Im good in my garage...

Rob

MECP Cert. Sales/Install
IASCA/CAN/NACA Cert. Install/SQ Judge
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Long Live T.S.

Good Luck ..but it is not your job to find a replacement

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Just at the mass retailers. MECP has been around for 10+ years and is a little more advanced than ASE's electrical test. Like ASE though neither one matters much to most other businesses.

Try putting an aftermarket alarm on an 05-06 Titan or Pathfinder Armada and you'll understand why you don't want Bubba's Bait and Stereo working on your car
I didn't think about alarms since I dont have one. I am going to school for electrical systems so I forgret a lot of people don't know shit about electrical things.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
bottle baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWminis
Good Luck ..but it is not your job to find a replacement
yeah i know but the GM is a joke and wont let me leave. I called HR and they might help me get out of there.

anyway...not all best buys require being MECP certified. but if you want to take my spot you have to be, b/c i am.

and the basic, and even 1st class cert. is easy even if you dont know shit. if you can memorize a textbook and then apply it to questions its a cakewalk. its a matter of applying the knowledge that they are looking for to replace my position.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:28 AM
aka onlya302

Hehe, installing is more about experience than "book knowledge" which is one of the many reasons I never installed for the Major Chains such as Best Buy, Circuit City etc...

When I took the Basic MECP test back in 95 there were guys that took it with me that had never installed in their lives that scored pretty decent, however while it took me about 15 mins to take the test (I got 96% correct), it took them close to an hour to finish it. Now when I took the MECP 1st Class test it took me a lot longer to complete the test, but I still passed it with like 80%. I would have done a lot better if I had studied the Cellular section a little more, hell I didn't get my first Cell phone until like 97, so I was clueless about that crap.

Chris Johnson

85 Wagen sold
93 Car
01 Truck (now turbocharged, but soon to be TWIN Turbo!)
03 s2k
www.yonsonracing.com
www.southernspeedracing.com

Speed is my drug, there is NO cure!!!

NEXTEL/SPRINT SUCKS!!!
FORD SUCKS!!!
The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later. SUCKS!!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Extreme Clean!

Had my MECP First Class cert in 96, nice waste of time and cash.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 03:39 AM
Time Served

It is a waste of money. I was never certified and can do all kinds of installs and have my tools.

flip down tv's, headrest screens, subs, etc.... it's a hobby mainly b/c being tall kinda sucks when it comes to doing installs.

I gots rims and NO car. Way to go me.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Newbie fo' life

its dumb b/c you have to get your MECP before you can work in big name stores. But they also have some of the shittiest work. Any good installers won't work for a big name store b/c they don't pay enough compared to the actual skills. The MECP is a big joke. I heard that Best Buy will train and then pay for you to take the test but none of the managers or recruiters say that so I don't know why peopl keep on saying that. Heck, if i wanted to go work at a place that required me to be MECP certified then they need to pay for it. Why should i waste my money on something that really isn't neccessary.

2002 mineral grey GT R.I.P.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Lifer

mecp is a joke, theres is nothing in that test that will help you out. best buy is a joke there is nothing that place that will help you out. i work for circuit city in the road shop which was a joke as well. then moved to a high end stereo shop and they didnt give damn about any certf. just if your work was top notch
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
bottle baby

i dont care if youre certified or not, just as long as your know your shit. my managers might care, b/c theyre the one doing the interview. but if you can tell them what youre made of im sure you wont have a problem.

not trying to get a gay MECP certification discussion going here, if you dont like best buy i dont blame you, b/c i dont. but its a good paying job and they work around my schedule.

the position is still needed
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Newbie fo' life

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcs626
i dont care if youre certified or not, just as long as your know your shit. my managers might care, b/c theyre the one doing the interview. but if you can tell them what youre made of im sure you wont have a problem.

not trying to get a gay MECP certification discussion going here, if you dont like best buy i dont blame you, b/c i dont. but its a good paying job and they work around my schedule.

the position is still needed
plain and simple, Best Buy will not hire unless you are MECP certified so don't even try to say it doesn't matter. They cannot hire anyone unless they are certified, regardless of how much you know or can do.

2002 mineral grey GT R.I.P.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
bottle baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild2002gt
plain and simple, Best Buy will not hire unless you are MECP certified so don't even try to say it doesn't matter. They cannot hire anyone unless they are certified, regardless of how much you know or can do.
well, the store you went to must have said that because they moved me back there before i was certified, and paid for it. so yes, in some cases it doesnt matter.

does anyone want the position, im tired of the mecp bickering. its an ongoing, endless debate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement