automotive schools - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
disturbed

Question automotive schools

i was wanting to know which automotive schools are good? any advise on how to get in to the automotive field would help also. i live in the north texas area. im not sure where i should put this forum but figured this place was as good as any other. any help would be great.

thank you

Last edited by svtdemon; 03-24-2006 at 06:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:48 PM
CHAMPION

My best Friend is about to graduate in April from UTI in Houston. He already has a job with Park Place Lexus and he isn't even done with school yet.....

Oh' BTW he never missed a day and has a 3.95 GPA

You get what you put in to it.

2006 GSX-R 1000
2001 Mustang Bullitt
1992 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
disturbed

Bullitt3246 thank you for the info. but im hoping for something in the dfw area. i dont want to have to move my family, but it looks to be the only option. thank you again for the help.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

in signed up for linchon tech in july, hope its worth it
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
disturbed

i just went today and talk to linchon tech. i was going to try to start march 29, but i think im going to wait for the next class. do you know if july is the next class or is there one before it? thank you
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I would not go to linchon tech if some one paid me. Look into the ASSET program

96 TA
01 Z06
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Thumbs up Auto trade school

Hey man I graduated from UTI in 03 and I think its a very good school if your wanting to work for a manufacture, but like one of the members said you get what you put into it. Its expensive but they have good financial assistance. What kind of work in the automotive industry are looking into. If its performance I would go to (SAM) school of automotive machinest.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:37 AM
Your Real DAD

Location: Prowlin the streets,with my FUNNY friend. In good ol Checkaho,TX AKA GARLAND BITCH
Fuck school.
Get a job at a regular shop, and work your way up.Stay away from dealerships.
To much politics and your usually stuck working on one make in a specilized department.I worked at Wilson auto repair for three years and learned all I needed. The owner, Barry Wilson, is the Fox4 car expert and is on TV in the morning and also has a radio show.The man knows his shit.Keep that in mind.You dont want to be trained by some shady, half ass mechanic who has a couple ASE certs and thinks he is the best. No one will ever be perfect, but damn sure can try.

Good luck man and I hope this is really what you want to do. Your back is gonna kill you. You work on cars all day then when your not working, everyone and there mama wants you to fix there shit for pennies.It is a hard job and will wear a man down.

On the upside you can make some good money if your good at what you do.
$100,000+ is not uncommon, if you bust your ass and get enough gravy.
You also get alot of pride out of the accomplishment of getting a hard job done .

Oh yea SAM in houston is a badass school for high performance engines, but you dont wnt to until you know your basic shit first.

Once again Good luck
BTW I dont do that shit no mo my back says no.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 07:28 AM
Lifer

I went to Lincoln Tech...it was alright. It depends on your current automotive knowledge and what you put into it. There are some idiots that sign up but I'm sure that's the same for any school. Good luck.

George
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:32 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I graduated from Lincoln Tech but if I had to do it again I'd be all over a community college. Right out of school I was working as a line tech at a GM dealer making $18.00 per flag hour, pretty decent scratch for a rookie. Now I'd be at $24-25 per flag hour but couldn't stand the politics or heat in the shop

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Time Served

FUCK ALL OF THAT.
Ford ASSET or GM ACEP is the way to go. 1/4 of the price 4 times the education.
PM me for specific details. Brookhaven (635 and Marsh) has an awsome program for both that cant be beaten. We walk right past UTI and Lincoln Tech grads when we go apply for jobs...if we ever need to. We all have jobs the entire time we're in school.
Everyone at UTI/Lincoln tech spent minimum 10K more than us, dont have the amount of tools or brand specific or general trianing for that matter that we do AND they dont have an associates degree. Thats something to remember. My school with tools won't even be 10K...I have prolly 4-5K in snap on tools I bought at our discount.

Not bashing the other schools just point out what they dont offer for the higher price you pay to go there.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Time Served

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdemon
i just went today and talk to linchon tech. i was going to try to start march 29, but i think im going to wait for the next class. do you know if july is the next class or is there one before it? thank you
i went to licoln tech and it sucked badd. and it was $18,000 ni joke i do not recommend for anyone to go there and its not worth it either. youll end up regreting it 3months into it. shop sucks cars you work on suck the whole school sucks best advise is go to a community college and save over 10,000$ im telling you
i wish i would of taken the same shit course at brookhaven for like 4,000
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Lifer

I am signed up to go to UTI in august. I went through interviews with all the tech school and liked them the best. I did not want to go the community college route since i do not want to take all those filler coarses like english and history. I did my year in college and its not me

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
If you call me, I'll have phone sex with you.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
disturbed

thank you everyone for the help. i think i may check in to brookhaven, i just dont want to take any extra class.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Time Served

Extra classes? Its community college and theyre set up for the auto tech kids...they're easy. Easiest way you're going to get an associates in applied arts and sciences. So your going to spend thousands more to not even get an associates so you dont have to take "extra classes"?
Trust me you wont be making the same as a UTI or Lincoln tech apprentice when you're in school, if you even have a job while you're in school. And if you're not an apprentice during school you'll be one for a year or two when you get out...then you're 1-2 years behind us and when you get off that still less $. I just dont get why bother with those schools. More money for school less money and less training when you get out and still no degree. Its silly to not even have an associates in todays times.

If you already have them done they dont make you retake them, I only had to take humanities cause the rest of mine are done.

No offence but you're a fool if you dont want the degree.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Resident Oil Expert

Lol at comparing Lincoln Tech to UTI...

School of Auto Machinist is great if you can hang.

UTI is great if you can stay away from the magazine smart retards that dont go and complain cause its so hard...

ASSET is as good as UTIs FACT program.

WyoTech is good if you want to go that far away and take hotrod body fab...otherwise its pointless.

SanJac is ok.

Lincoln Tech sucks.
ATI sucks.

I dont know what the teach at the chevy school.

--------------------------------------------------------------
DFWstangs member #440
99 Cobra vert #1604

Need your help... cleaning out garage due to medical condition...
https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=90482&cat=20
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Lifer

T.S.T.C. in waco has a few auto programs including some factory certified programs. Its also a state school so the credits will transfer if you decide to go back to school.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 08:51 PM
next...

And from another UTI grad, you get what you give....

well said ubil................
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Lifer

Got a assocate degree in machine work from Mountain View in '93. Just having the " degree " is worth 2.50 per hour to start. Had an interview for a job and was introduced to my boss as "here is your new man, he's got a degree. He knows what he's doing".Got the job in 20 minutes. I now got a management position at General Dynamics and don't even come close to running a machine now, I direct. If you ever even think you might want to move up in the food chain, most places require you to have some sort of " degree ". A boss of mine told me once, who was directing 45 + people, that he has a degree in art of all things. All the company required is that management have a degree. I also have had a boss "let go" because he didn't have a peice of paper. I know its stupid but it shows that you have the skills to deal with several different things. The extra classes in english and social skills didn't come in handy untill later. God I wish people could write better when writing reports. Besides some of the extra classes are good for learning how to work around issues and still get what you need. GOOD LUCK.

1/2 mile 9 turns 41.3 sec

Last edited by Kart21; 04-29-2006 at 11:11 AM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

UTI is the way

I have a buddy that went to lincoln tech, and he could not even get a job at walmart tire and lube when he got out of school.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:30 AM
too many projects!

Location: you cant drink all day if you don't start in the morning
wyotech is a good school

PHUKET
A coward dies a thousand deaths
A soldier dies but once.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX21
wyotech is a good school
Its ok. I went there way back when. Credits don't really transfer anywhere and laramie sucks a big fat one.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 03:36 AM
Time Served

Hell, you're telling me LKaramie sucks. I'm a 6' tall hispanic w/ spanish features. I was at the top of my class and some dumb kids (older than me) wanted to kill me. Pulled a hot gun on me at school. When I found out the town, school, or anyone there didn't care, I left. They literally told me that they would still get my money, and yeah, they are, for the next 4 years.

Now: I work w/ Wario makign barely enough to get by wishing stupid people would have never gotten in my way of gettign a better career. Until I get paid a decent amount of money, I'll still have a resentment for that school and town. Plus, 2ft of snow in June, not cool for Tx grown people.

I gots rims and NO car. Way to go me.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkROAM_1
Hell, you're telling me LKaramie sucks. I'm a 6' tall hispanic w/ spanish features. I was at the top of my class and some dumb kids (older than me) wanted to kill me. Pulled a hot gun on me at school. When I found out the town, school, or anyone there didn't care, I left. They literally told me that they would still get my money, and yeah, they are, for the next 4 years.

Now: I work w/ Wario makign barely enough to get by wishing stupid people would have never gotten in my way of gettign a better career. Until I get paid a decent amount of money, I'll still have a resentment for that school and town. Plus, 2ft of snow in June, not cool for Tx grown people.
Damn you have a little stronger feelings than me.
I just know some of the instructors were dipshits and one of them never worked in a shop. He made straight a's and passed a bunch of ase certs so they asked him if he wanted to teach. Laramie is a shit hole. I understand why there are like 30 booze stores in a town of 45k. Winter rolls around all you can do is drink. There isnt anything else to do.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Time Served

lincoln tech sucks dont go there a waste of money and time

Want Some!!!
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Time Served

If you already know some things about cars, you might find that lincoln tech is a waste; that is until they start to touch on something that you don't know about. But the shit goes by so fast, you won't really LEARN it. There is so much down (bullshit) time, you really have to be motivated because you will end up teaching yourself(!) or going to sit (sneak) in another class to pick up on something. I really believe that hands-on is the best way to learn automotive repair. Fixing transmissions, installing rearend gears, replacing a starter on a lexus ls series (on top of the motor, under the dash), is not something that 1.) they won't touch upon or 2.) won't spend much time on. You gotta be unbiased, too, because, UNFORTUNATELY, all cars that need fixin' aint 1.)made by ford, 2.)rear wheel drive, 3.)american. My point is that it's best to "shop" around and have a good idea as to what is that you would really like to do in the automotive field. If you just want to get a GENERAL KNOWLEDGE of the field, go to lincoln tech and be out of almost $20K. If you want to get a job, make a living, support your family, not get laughed at and looked at sideways, FUCK LINCOLN TECH. I'm no quitter or loser but when I thought about the cost:learning ratio, I had to move on.

Rebel - Renegade - MUST STAY PAID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement