looking to start a real career - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Taliban can SUCK IT!

looking to start a real career

im currently working for Fossil shipping in one of their warehouses, its not a bad job but the pay sucks for the amount of work required out of us on a skeleton crew. im tired of these jobs that are just barely getting me by, im looking to start a real career. i was thinking about going into AC/Heating but was just wondering whats out there right now. Im only 20 for the next few months but that kinda limits my choices in some areas unfortunatly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Your Real DAD

Location: Prowlin the streets,with my FUNNY friend. In good ol Checkaho,TX AKA GARLAND BITCH
I own a HVAC buss.

The money is kick ass in summer , but can REALLY slow down in winter.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Lifer

I.T. sucks!....for me anyway...I've got major burn out. I should've stayed in the shop. I'm not an indoors person in any way. I like being out in the shop with the bay doors open, wind blowing through...I like the smell of tires and diesel fumes. (of course, now that I think about it, I do stay pretty warm all winter being in here and I don't have to work in the rain.)

Just some things to consider while you're looking for a new career....what do you like to do? What kind of environment do you like? Do you like being in an office with 4 walls or a cubicle? Do you like office politics?

George

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Thats against the law Man

One of my neighbors got into HVAC quite a while back - he jumped around quite a bit, and went through some struggles for the first couple years, but he eventually started his own HVAC business, and we've watched him grow, and grow, and grow....now has something like 10 trucks and ~20 employees. Too bad he's not my neighbor anymore...he built a big house on Lake Lewisville a year or so ago. Obviously not too bad if you are willing to work for it!

For me - I was a mechanic years back, worked in a few different Ford dealerships over the course of about 10 years....worked my ass off, and they made all the money! Dealerships SUCK! I eventually decided a change was in-order, got into IT, did some contract work, and ended up getting on with Microsoft....haven't looked back since. I'm in a business-management job now...great hours, benefits, and pay.....but I stilll have my own car business on the side....buying and selling, doing installs, etc....it's still where my passion is, unfortunitley just not where the big cash is!

69/70ish Mustang
Dedicated To The Hater Purists

70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.- Thomas A Edison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement