Looking for a career change. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Served Time

Looking for a career change.

I am a RN with over 17 years experience. I really want to change careers. I am willing to start at the bottom and work up. Just turned 41 and want to do something different with my life. PM if you have anything. I can learn pretty much anything required.
Thanks,
Scott.

Scott D.
2004 GTO LS1 baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Time Served

It is none of my business but why do you want to drop your current career as an RN??? Are you looking into a future career in the automotive industry??? If so, I highly recommend keeping your hobby (automotive enthusiast) and stay out of the automotive industry unless you own your own business. You can get burnt ou working on cars all the time, trust me, I know. What are you looking to do??
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Served Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornholio
It is none of my business but why do you want to drop your current career as an RN??? Are you looking into a future career in the automotive industry??? If so, I highly recommend keeping your hobby (automotive enthusiast) and stay out of the automotive industry unless you own your own business. You can get burnt ou working on cars all the time, trust me, I know. What are you looking to do??
Have you ever done the same thing over and over for 17 years? It gets old. It really gets old when you have to work with mostly women. You would thind this is the ideal job for a man looking to meet some women. It was at first. Hell it's hard enough to keep women from bitching at each other off of ANY job. Let alone on the job! To top that off, I am just tired of cleaning blood, shit, and vomit almost every day of my life. I am not really sure what I want to do now. I was thinking about going back to school to be a criminal lawyer but there are no law schools in dallas other than SMU and I am not rich. I just want to change careers. I don't need to make huge money. My cars are paid off. My rent is $500/month. I will be closing on a home in a few weeks and my mortgage is only $750/month. I am also thinking OTR truck driver. They make almost what I earn as an RN. I could get by.

Scott D.
2004 GTO LS1 baby!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 08:07 AM
wishin i had a fast car

why dont you go get your paramedics liscense, then go apply with careflite or another air medic. then it will still be where you can use your rn also. then it will be more exciting and they also make nice scratch also. my wife did it for 3 years and had a blast.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Lifer

I would think twice about OTR Truck driver, from what i have heard that it is'nt for everyone and they make you sign a 1 year or more contract if you break it you have to pay them for the whole year.
Have you looked into being a Police Officer? maybe that is something you might like from what i have heard everyday is a diffrent one and you either work on your own or with a partner.

1998 Black SVT Cobra #2885
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Served Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra#2885
I would think twice about OTR Truck driver, from what i have heard that it is'nt for everyone and they make you sign a 1 year or more contract if you break it you have to pay them for the whole year.
Have you looked into being a Police Officer? maybe that is something you might like from what i have heard everyday is a diffrent one and you either work on your own or with a partner.
I would be interested in being a police officer. But I think my age (41) would prohibit me.

Scott D.
2004 GTO LS1 baby!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01-0800
I am also thinking OTR truck driver. .
I hope you know Spanish. I was always curious about law enforcement also. I just couldn't take the pay cut.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01-0800
I would be interested in being a police officer. But I think my age (41) would prohibit me.
01-0800,
Some Police Dept. do not have an age requierment. I would check some of the Police Dept. that you might be interested in and check there web site's and see what there requierments are.

XDPS STANG RACER,
Some Police Dept pay very well, i have seen some start out at $41,000 a year and some toping out at $65,000 a year

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra#2885
01-0800,
Some Police Dept. do not have an age requierment. I would check some of the Police Dept. that you might be interested in and check there web site's and see what there requierments are.

XDPS STANG RACER,
Some Police Dept pay very well, i have seen some start out at $41,000 a year and some toping out at $65,000 a year
$41,000 would get me interested. I'm the only one in my family that works so I have to be careful on my financial decisions. Are you a officer?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDPS STANG RACER
$41,000 would get me interested. I'm the only one in my family that works so I have to be careful on my financial decisions. Are you a officer?
I am not an Officer just have been looking into it since i have always had an interest in Law Enforcement but do not see myself becoming one for several reasons. Here is what i have found and hope it's helpfull?

City of Mesquite, Texas http://www.cityofmesquite.com/police...iceofficer.php
Applications for employment in the Mesquite Police Department are processed in accordance with provisions of the State of Texas Firefighter's and Police Officer's Civil Service Act, Chapter 143 and City of Mesquite's Firefighter's and Police Officer's Civil Service Program. Each applicant must successfully pass an open, competitive and free Civil Service examination. Applicants must then complete a physical agility test, pass an extensive background investigation, polygraph examination, physical examination and a one year probation.

Requirements

Age: 21 to 35 (21 to 44 with five years of police or military experience, under the provisions of State Civil Service Law).

Weight: Proportionate to height

Eyesight: 20/70 uncorrected. Correctable to 20/20; no color blindness

Education: Successful completion of 30 semester hours of college credit. Certain full-time commissioned police officers experience may substitute for college hours.
U.S. Citizen (under the provisions of State Civil Service Law)
Salary

Starting Salary: $45,084

After 1 year: $47,340

After 2 years: $49,704

After 3 years: $52,188

After 4 years: $54,804

After 5 years: $57,540

City of Plano PATROL OFFICER

Non-Certified (no academy) $3,774 per month or $45,290 annually.

Upon completion of academy and passing state test, $4,073 per month or $48,878 annually.

After 6 months $4,211 per month or $50,526 annually.

After 12 months $4,349per month or $52,192 annually.

After 18 months $4,541 per month or $54,497 annually.

After 24 months $4,691 per month or $56,290 annually.

After 30 months $4,851 per month or $58,212 annually.

After 36 months, $5,097 per month or $61,167 annually.

NOT INCLUDED ABOVE:

60.00 Per Month or 720.00 annually for Intermediate Certificate.

80.00 per month or 960.00 annually for Advanced Certificate.

120.00 per month or 1,440 annually for Master Peace Officer Certificate.

http://www.planopolice.org/Employmen...yment_req.html

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Have you look into radiology? With your medical background, that wouldn't be too hard to transistion over. A medical career would be stable source of income since you are purchasing a house. If money is not much of a concern, I would go back to school and look into what you really want to do and take courses that would apply towards that career field. I am currently at my job buying time till I can get my school hours down to head towards the medical field or something else besides IT.

I know exactly what you mean when it comes to the lost of interest in your job. I've been in the IT field for around 10 years now and its time for me to get out. The money is industry average or a bit more, can't complain. After seeing good people let go cause of outsourcing, kind of kills the desire to be there. Its hard to come in every day when you don't know if you'll be the next victim of outsourcing. Work is hectic and crazy since you do the job of three person.

Seeing an employee fight for a 2% raise, where VPs would not hesitate to spend 4k on a luncheon or dinner plan on a regular basis. There is something wrong right there.

I've been turning down head hunters in the past several months, since I no longer desire to do this type of work. Now a day company just want to run a skeleton crew and squeeze every bit of work out of you.

Good luck in your search.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Lifer

Thanks for the info Cobra
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDPS STANG RACER
I hope you know Spanish. I was always curious about law enforcement also. I just couldn't take the pay cut.
Why does he need spanish to become an OTR driver?
I worked for SAIA Motorfreight for a year and have 2 cousins who are drivers for SAIA, one of them linehaul, the other city and they don't need to know spanish.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Very Thankful!

No reason to do OTR truck driving. There are plenty of driving jobs that are local where you can be home every night that pay well.

Im not sure your pay but there are alot of technical help desks that you can start out at that will teach you everything. That's where I started out at then you learn from there and have many different areas to advance to.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Served Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraChic
No reason to do OTR truck driving. There are plenty of driving jobs that are local where you can be home every night that pay well.

Im not sure your pay but there are alot of technical help desks that you can start out at that will teach you everything. That's where I started out at then you learn from there and have many different areas to advance to.
When I first started in 1989 I made $12.00/Hour. My current pay is $36.50/Hour.

Scott D.
2004 GTO LS1 baby!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Lifer

damn, that's what I need to make! I personally think the IT industry is way saturated with paper MCSC's, recent grads and a LOT of people that's been in the industry a long time. The competition's tough. For someone to actually jump into this field and learn from the ground, they'd be looking at about 11-13 bucks an hour and a shitty schedule. Even recent grads are under paid nowadays.

IMO, you're too far along in your career to move into a new field. I'd stay in it and learn a new skill in the same field. But then, you've already accepted taking a pay cut so that's one less hurdle to overcome.

I've also heard that long haul drivers can make a lot of money...but you're never home to spend any of it.

Good luck.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement