DFW Mustang Forums banner

Law enforcement Jobs

3K views 54 replies 18 participants last post by  gnturboray 
#1 ·
Are there any law enforcement jobs out there. Or any security jobs that pay 11-15 dollars and hour. Please PM WITH ANSWERS

#2 ·
#4 ·
If you haven't already gone to the academy you need to find someone to sponsor you, sponsoring you means they will pay for all or most of your academy training,law enforcement certifications. Most of the cities in the DFW area will require a criminal justice degree. Arlington requires a 4 year college degree... i know this from first hand experience. Hope this helps you in your search for law enforcement employment. if you have any questions feel free to contact my boyfriend Ben: 682-365-9983

#6 ·
Can someone explain this sponsorship to me. I am also looking into the CJUS field. I have a Bachelors in CJUS, and wanting to go into Law Enforcement either city or Federal. And these courses you take at Cedar Valley, do they TCLEOSE certify you? Thanks!

#11 ·
Black Ac said:
Can someone explain this sponsorship to me. I am also looking into the CJUS field. I have a Bachelors in CJUS, and wanting to go into Law Enforcement either city or Federal. And these courses you take at Cedar Valley, do they TCLEOSE certify you? Thanks!
yeah id like more info on this also thanks!

#13 · (Edited)
most all of the larger dept. will send you to their own academy and you will get tcleose certified through them. You have to get it yourself if you are going to smaller citys.

Just a word of advice don't tell them the truth about everything you have done in you life because they will disqualify for being honest. I get disqualified every where I go for something that happen when I was 18. I was riding in a car with my friend and we got pulled over and he had knumchucks under his seat, and we all got arrested for a class A misdemeanor. I got deferred adjudication and it got dismissed and I still can't get anyone to let me take a test. I have never been in trouble since and also have a degree in CRJ. According to what I have read I should be able to after 10 years from the offense. BUT......They are going to get sick of me applying every year.

#14 · (Edited)
Yes that is one thing about working for a Police Department is that you have to have a clean record and keep it that way. When you do apply they run a criminal background check on you and that can find out almost anything of what you have done in the past. It is going to be really hard to find any department that will hire you with a Class A Misdemeanor on your record. Good luck though! :cool:

#15 ·
I know that SMU is hiring for their police dept. on all shifts. Unless you enjoy writing tickets all throughout the morning and afternoons, I would recommend getting on the evening shift. I think you also have to be certified by the state to be an officer before they hire you too (as is the case with almost all places).

There are also openings at BNSF Railway off of Western Center and I-35W which is a little closer to your location. Look at their site http://www.bnsf.com/ If you're willing to relocate this job pays very well (I think Seattle?), and the railroad retirement is hard to beat...

#16 ·
If you really want to get on as a Police Officer and not take the Civil Service test you can get on with Dart Police. From what i heard awhile back was that as long as you have a clean background record and pass the Police Academy you can get TCLEOSE Certifide but you must sign a 1 or 2 year contract that you will stay on with the Department if not then you must reimburse for them sending you to the Academy. This was afew years ago and may have changed since then.

#17 ·
Thats just the thing it should not be on my record. I was not convicted!!!! I plea bargained to keep it off my record. I mean what is the point of probation and deferred adjudication if it stays on your record anyways? I got the case dispostion and it states that it was dismissed!!!!!!! I have asked my lawyer if I can get it removed and he said there is nothing to remove if it was deferred and dismissed. He said if it was not a conviction there is nothing to remove. I need to go get a criminal history check, myself just to see if it comes up. ONE STUPID MISTAKE SHOULD NOT STOP YOU FROM GETTING YOUR LIFE STARTED IN THE DIRECTION YOU WANT IT TO GO. I have been researching it there is a way around it. I WILL eventually get into it. I have applied for a few federal jobs and they didn't say shit about it.

#18 ·
Bullitt3246
When i applied with the Post Office as Christmas help afew years ago they had me go to Lew Sterrett building and get and pay for my own background check, if i remember correctly you go to two office's there and one is the Felony and the other is a Misdemeanor office or what ever they are called
The cost was something 10 or 12 dollars and it took less then 15 minutes to do.
I would go down there and see if it will show up on your record and if it does not then next time you apply at some angecy just dont say anything. Is there a certain agency you want to get on with or do you just want to get on with any one? The reason i ask is because if one agency said no maybe you can try one of these small agency's and get on with them since they more likely to hire you because they need people and once afew years go by then you can reapply with the one you really want to work for and by then you have the experience under your belt.

#19 ·
I checked it today. It does still show up. It shows it was dismissed, but any agency will still find it. I went and applied at fort worth as well and they disqualified me again for it. I went to the library to look up some stuff. I found out that if you have a deferred sentence on anything above a class c misdemeanor you can never get it expunched from your record. Maybe I should have pleaded guilty and and sayed I wanted it to be a conviction so it will stay on my record. Then I would have been able to get it expunched. Don't make no damn since to me. The recruiter said if it was expunched they wouldn't be able to find it. Already knew that but it can't be done because i got it deferred. A BUNCH OF BULL SHIT TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next step is writing the governor and asking for a pardon.

#20 ·
I have one quick question scince a lot of people have allready been ansering the rest what is expunched and what do you need to do for this? I'm currently considering law enforcement also but have some things to do before I try it out. I will also go down to Lew Steric for the background check but I think I'm clean, just want to do this in case something does come up. I'd appreciate the info and sorry to hear your having so much trouble. Good luck.

#21 · (Edited)
expunged

attorney files some paperwork and ask the judge to completely remove any and all records pertaining to a case that was dismissed, no billed and or found not guilty. If you have plead out or was given deferred adjudication, you cannot get it expunged unless it was a traffic ticket. An attorney can apply for a "letter of nondiscloser" if the defendent plead out or was found guilty. The difference is that when a case is "expunged", all records are not only removed from the system, but the documents are actually destroyed. When the "Non-disclosure" is granted, it is removed from the computer system, but the documents remain on file. Any attorney should be able to do this but not all cases can be expunged or granted a Non-Discloser. Holla if you guys need some help....my brother is an attorney.

#22 ·
?

Bullitt3246 said:
Are there any law enforcement jobs out there. Or any security jobs that pay 11-15 dollars and hour. Please PM WITH ANSWERS

Hey, did you every get the proble resolved? I still need to get two cases that were dismissed but the lawyers are charging me a shit load and right now to expunge them and I dont have the money for it. Does anyone out there know anyone that can do it for not so much? The charge here in Dallas was for a DWI.

#23 ·
Black Widow said:
If you haven't already gone to the academy you need to find someone to sponsor you, sponsoring you means they will pay for all or most of your academy training,law enforcement certifications. Most of the cities in the DFW area will require a criminal justice degree. Arlington requires a 4 year college degree... i know this from first hand experience. Hope this helps you in your search for law enforcement employment. if you have any questions feel free to contact my boyfriend Ben: 682-365-9983
actually i have checked with all my local p.d's and the sponsorship means that they check your background and all the other good stuff and they say yes you are able to become a police officer regarding you pass all written test and physical portions and make it through the academy, some departments will pay your way through the academy the one i was applying for was until i blew my knee and now i didnt get to get in

#24 ·
Bullitt3246 said:
Thats just the thing it should not be on my record. I was not convicted!!!! I plea bargained to keep it off my record. I mean what is the point of probation and deferred adjudication if it stays on your record anyways? I got the case dispostion and it states that it was dismissed!!!!!!! I have asked my lawyer if I can get it removed and he said there is nothing to remove if it was deferred and dismissed. He said if it was not a conviction there is nothing to remove. I need to go get a criminal history check, myself just to see if it comes up. ONE STUPID MISTAKE SHOULD NOT STOP YOU FROM GETTING YOUR LIFE STARTED IN THE DIRECTION YOU WANT IT TO GO. I have been researching it there is a way around it. I WILL eventually get into it. I have applied for a few federal jobs and they didn't say shit about it.

hmm....the problem there is that even with your record showing that you weren't convicted for anything, the arrest will still be on your record, and it's the class A arrest that's probably disqualifying you. from all the different deptartments I've read up on, most say you can't have been arrested or convicted for anything above a class B misdemeanor. The one thing you'd have to get expunged is the arrest.
I have an arrest for a class B misdemeanor on my record from 10/04. I got a pretrial diversion from the district attorney's office, and just completed that 1 year of probation this month. I was told by my person at the Walker County Community Supervision office that they sent a letter saying they were dropping interest in the case, and they said that once it was dropped, it would not show up, but would show I was on probation there. and they said that if someone called in the future asking about it, they couldn't tell them details. they also said that I could in fact go to my lawyer and get him to file to have the actual arrest expunged from my record. Don't know how much that's gonna cost me though.

#25 ·
89stangGT said:
hmm....the problem there is that even with your record showing that you weren't convicted for anything, the arrest will still be on your record, and it's the class A arrest that's probably disqualifying you. from all the different deptartments I've read up on, most say you can't have been arrested or convicted for anything above a class B misdemeanor. The one thing you'd have to get expunged is the arrest.
I have an arrest for a class B misdemeanor on my record from 10/04. I got a pretrial diversion from the district attorney's office, and just completed that 1 year of probation this month. I was told by my person at the Walker County Community Supervision office that they sent a letter saying they were dropping interest in the case, and they said that once it was dropped, it would not show up, but would show I was on probation there. and they said that if someone called in the future asking about it, they couldn't tell them details. they also said that I could in fact go to my lawyer and get him to file to have the actual arrest expunged from my record. Don't know how much that's gonna cost me though.

Well from what I have read up on the job postings, I believe it says you cannot have been charged and convicted for anything of a class B misdemeanor or greater. I think that is what it says. I know that it says charged and convicted but I am pretty sure that once they pull up your record and it says you have been arrested for a misdemeanor they can disqualify you at their discresion. As far as the expungement, I called my lawyer about two days ago and he said it would run me around 900 bucks. What sucks is that when he won my trial he had told me he would do it for 300. I can do 300 but I dont know about 900. I know there are some police oficer members on this board because I met one of them a while back. Hopefully he may read this thread and give us some advice as far as what we can do. Or maybe someone out there has an attorney family member and can give us a hook up. There are plenty here that could use that service but of course not so expensive.

#26 ·
el_chingonss said:
Well from what I have read up on the job postings, I believe it says you cannot have been charged and convicted for anything of a class B misdemeanor or greater. I think that is what it says. I know that it says charged and convicted but I am pretty sure that once they pull up your record and it says you have been arrested for a misdemeanor they can disqualify you at their discresion. As far as the expungement, I called my lawyer about two days ago and he said it would run me around 900 bucks. What sucks is that when he won my trial he had told me he would do it for 300. I can do 300 but I dont know about 900. I know there are some police oficer members on this board because I met one of them a while back. Hopefully he may read this thread and give us some advice as far as what we can do. Or maybe someone out there has an attorney family member and can give us a hook up. There are plenty here that could use that service but of course not so expensive.
ok, I just coulda sworn most said you couldn't have anything ABOVE a class B. and, when you're arrested you're pretty much being charged for something. you just haven't been convicted until they convict you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.