Aircraft mech considering career change seeking advice - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Aircraft mech considering career change seeking advice

I have been an aircraft mechanic for Delta for almost 13 years. I started right after I turned 20, so it is the only thing I know. They are closing the hub here, and I'm tired of turning wrenches. I need to find another way to make a living that doesn't require years of schooling or experience to get started.
I'm interested in real estate and have spoken to a couple of people in the business. One is a successful realtor who suggested I try to get on with a new home builder to gain experience and avoid the time it takes to build up a client base. I would also receive insurance benefits and a paycheck along with commission. This sounds good since I have a family.
Someone suggested being an insurance adjuster. What about the telecom business? Do you know of other fields or specific companies that I could look into?
I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you may have to offer. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Lifer

I work at Lockheed, we have openings in Inspection. have to apply on line . 14.00 to 19.00 hr
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Dodging hurricanes

Im in the same boat as you I work at gulfstream.

02 lightning

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Lifer

I did sheet aircraft metal work for 15 years and I feel your pain. Damned miserable hot-ass hangar in the summer, frigid and numbing cold in the winter, subjected to zinc chromate primer, MEK, and lot of other healthy substances not to mention jobs that were always over budget, behind schedule and as a result, had to work a lot of weekends.

Thinking I wanted to remain in aviation, I pursued a career in mechanical engineering while I continued to work full-time. I was over halfway there to my BSME but couldnt get past the upper level engineering classes. During my education I was exposed to PC's. I taught myself PC's and networking, and eventually started a part time business consulting. I finally crossed over into information technology about 6 years ago and never looked back. I wear nice clothes to the office, am in a climate controlled data center, and am making more $ than I did back then.

I'm sure there are lots of individuals happy in the aviation maintenance field and I am not taking anything away from that but for me, it was the smartest move I ever made.

I can't comment on your real estate possiblities but you are smart to be wanting out. Stick with it and keep looking. Good luck
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Thanks for the replies.

slowbrick - I went to a job fair a couple of weeks ago, and the line at the Lockheed table was very long. Alot of guys I work with were in it. I gave the guy a resume, but I'm not holding my breath. Same with Bell helicopter.

miketyler - Your criticisms of aviation maintenence are right on. I like the idea of working in a clean, climate controlled environment without harmful chemicals to deal with. I've considered something in IT, but I keep hearing that the job market is saturated with people in that field. Is there a particular segment in that field that I should look into? What type of training and how long does it take? I'm not very computer savvy, but I find it interesting and think I would enjoy it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineStang
Thanks for the replies.

slowbrick - I went to a job fair a couple of weeks ago, and the line at the Lockheed table was very long. Alot of guys I work with were in it. I gave the guy a resume, but I'm not holding my breath. Same with Bell helicopter.

miketyler - Your criticisms of aviation maintenence are right on. I like the idea of working in a clean, climate controlled environment without harmful chemicals to deal with. I've considered something in IT, but I keep hearing that the job market is saturated with people in that field. Is there a particular segment in that field that I should look into? What type of training and how long does it take? I'm not very computer savvy, but I find it interesting and think I would enjoy it.
It is saturated. I was in it for 6 years and even though I'm glad i'm out, I still find myself applying for IT positions because my current jobs sucks just as bad as the last. The last year I was in IT, I was non-stop looking for a new position, I never got so much as an interview. Just too many people out of work in the field fighting for the same jobs but far better credentials. Not to mention, there alot of the jobs are going overseas. I just don't think theres a future in it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Lifer

I was an ALSS Tech on F-18's

In the marines for 3 1/2 years. now I am getting my A&P at TCC northwest and can't wait to get out there. Why is working in the element sooo bad??? I did it on the flightline for 3 years, and loved it.

Dreaming of my future creation....
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Lifer

not trying to say.....

..that you can't handle it, but I ask because you have been there. I have been there too but I was working on only specific parts of the aircraft.

Dreaming of my future creation....
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Lifer

Tangstang - Information technology works for me because I really am a geek at heart and it still interests me. IT is broad based and there are many different aspects of it that you could get into I just can't list them all. Given the current market and with no pertinent skillset, it will be a challenge for you to find a position at the salary you require. Talk to folks in the industry and see what interests you the most. It is an employers market right now with good skilled people out on the street all competing for jobs that offer $5-$25K under what they were making. Its no secret that the market has been down for a while now. As our economy slowly rebounds, older folks will be retiring, new technologies will continue to emerge and the outlook should improve. I wouldnt expect to see the market of 1997-98 anytime soon but keep your options open, and keep looking.

Hollywood - yes, the jobs going overseas hurts the market especially the entry level and help desk ones. These have traditionally been a great way to break-in to the field. I still think there is a future in it here as most service providers need hands-on support people. They may outsource their tech and desktop support, but few will entrust their revenue critical systems (UNIX, SUN, or otherwise) to outside sources. Even so, these contract companies are always looking for skilled help and can also be a source to help you get your feet wet in a less committed scenario.

331coupe - what can I say? Maybe I am just getting older but at some point, you have to start thinking about longevity and the toll that this type of labor takes on the body. When I first started out it was lots of fun. It paid pretty well and it was a "glorified" calling. As the airplanes came and went they got to be like working on another greasy car. I still love to work with my hands and I really miss the satisfaction of stepping back and looking at the finished product and all but truly, I would rather save my back for my own projects (I ALWAYS have several). I think I just got tired of being worn out from laying in the belly or crammed up in a wheelwell of somebody elses airplane.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 331coupe
In the marines for 3 1/2 years. now I am getting my A&P at TCC northwest and can't wait to get out there. Why is working in the element sooo bad??? I did it on the flightline for 3 years, and loved it.
miketyler has pretty much summed it up. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't totally suck. If I weren't losing my job, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to change careers. But after several years, I'm just ready to work in a quieter, air-conditioned environment free from grease, jet fuel, and Skydrol. I'm also tired of the gloom and doom in the airline industry and very jaded about alot of BS specific to Delta. On the other hand, I know alot of guys who still enjoy it and are sticking with it. Hopefully that will be how you feel. Good luck.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineStang
miketyler has pretty much summed it up. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't totally suck. If I weren't losing my job, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to change careers. But after several years, I'm just ready to work in a quieter, air-conditioned environment free from grease, jet fuel, and Skydrol. I'm also tired of the gloom and doom in the airline industry and very jaded about alot of BS specific to Delta. On the other hand, I know alot of guys who still enjoy it and are sticking with it. Hopefully that will be how you feel. Good luck.
I just wanted to wish you good luck. I have no advise, as I was laid of from Delta in the first round of lay-offs almost 2 years ago and I was asking the same questions you are. I stayed in Aviation, as it is all I have known for the last 15 years. I do it for a living and a hobby, so I had nothing else. There are other jobs out there in the field, but do not pay well untill you have experience. I am now the Chief Mechanic for a flight school, and only had to take a small pay cut, but I was not as high up in the pay scale as you. I wish you the best of luck, let us know where you end up.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Dodging hurricanes

Quote:
The problem is after 911 so many people have lost there job in avaition that there are 10 people standing in line to take your job.So aircraft company pay less and cut out all the overtime.Because they can just hire contractors when it gets busy.I was a aircraft mechanic in the military and it was alot more fun than civilain avaition.Just the pay sucked.Get a engineer degree and make alot more money and have the AC office.

02 lightning
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Lifer

Learn to speak Indian and you can master the IT field as a desktop support, developer, network admin and many more areas. Many companies have outsourced their tech jobs to companies like WIPRO and others. The next wave is goin to feature networking as more companies are going to be willing to share services. They develop the software overseas so they will be able to support complicated infrastructures. It will come and if not in India China will be right around the corner.
To feel secure in the IT sector is similar to the manufacturing sctor in the 70s where we lost a majority overseas.
I am a developer/manager for a large company that uses Oracle and many other ERP systems and more and more I see the other areas moving overseas.

Raymond

99GT Vert
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Meeeeooowww

Quote:
you have school in the morning or evening??

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 04:59 AM
Factory Issue

this is gonna sound funny, but ATI is hiring (not the trade school):

http://www.procharger.com/employment.shtml

Give me a dollar.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 06:03 AM
TWIN SPINNER

John, I think the only way you are going to find something in aviation is to leave DFW. I had to interview for a position all the way up in Idaho. I think getting an Engineering degree is the way to go. I know you've seen the 500 openings at Lockheed for Aeronautical Engineers.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Dodging hurricanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
John, I think the only way you are going to find something in aviation is to leave DFW. I had to interview for a position all the way up in Idaho. I think getting an Engineering degree is the way to go. I know you've seen the 500 openings at Lockheed for Aeronautical Engineers.
That is what I was talking about...............

02 lightning
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 09:00 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I'm an AP lisences rotor wing mechanic. I saw the writing on the wall when I left the Army (UH-1H and UH-60 mechanic and crew chief) that I would never make the kind of income I wanted with that kind of job.

I went IT industry and never looked back.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

aviation jobs

I am sorry to hear your postition and I myself am in the same airline boat. I am just riding the wave. I am lucky to still be employed at AA but here is a website you may want to check out aviationemployment.com. There are some overseas work ranging from 120-180k a year most of that tax free. Good luck

Have a pool you need cleaned let me know. I start at 100 a month for weekly service with chemicals.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 09:29 PM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerocket666
I am sorry to hear your postition and I myself am in the same airline boat. I am just riding the wave. I am lucky to still be employed at AA but here is a website you may want to check out aviationemployment.com. There are some overseas work ranging from 120-180k a year most of that tax free. Good luck
Do you have a direct link? I've been to aviationemployment.com and the only jobs I've seen in SW Asia don't pay $180K. If you've got a link to a $180K job let me know! Thanks

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

That is a range of pay. It depends on how much you work, how much they let you work. There is alot to estimating the pay. You have per diem that is tax free, base pay is tax free to 80k, your meals and medical is paid for. It is figured if you work there for 1 yr pretty much non stop 16 hour days 6 days a week. What else do you have to do while your there, your there to make money and get out. That is in the SWA locations for LG is the company on aviationemployment.com. They are looking for heilcopter general mechanics, sheet metal, avionics. Just have to apply I understand that most of it is done over the phone and can leave the US in 2 weeks if you have a passport.

Have a pool you need cleaned let me know. I start at 100 a month for weekly service with chemicals.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 11:19 AM
TWIN SPINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerocket666
That is a range of pay. It depends on how much you work, how much they let you work. There is alot to estimating the pay. You have per diem that is tax free, base pay is tax free to 80k, your meals and medical is paid for. It is figured if you work there for 1 yr pretty much non stop 16 hour days 6 days a week. What else do you have to do while your there, your there to make money and get out. That is in the SWA locations for LG is the company on aviationemployment.com. They are looking for heilcopter general mechanics, sheet metal, avionics. Just have to apply I understand that most of it is done over the phone and can leave the US in 2 weeks if you have a passport.
Thanks for the info. I put in my resume a couple days back. I'll let yall know what I hear.

My car is for sale!
EBay Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement