DFW Mustang Forums banner

What to use in a nice sound system?

565 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  EW 
#1 ·
I was recently asked by one of my moms friends to help select a stereo system for her 2002 Escape. Currently, she has a mach system, but wants to upgrade the head unit along with all of the speakers. Cost really isn't an object, but it doesn't need to be over the top highend either...a really good sound is the goal. There are pretty much only two important things to her in this system: Must appear as stock as possible. No hugh subwoofer boxes taking up a lot of space or hindering the operation of the seats, etc. And second, the head unit should play mp3 cds and have a good way to interface with her ipod. Removable faced might be good as well to prevent theft. Would now be a good time to consider navigation or is that just a significant additional expense?

Maybe you all can suggest some other popular features that I have left out. Also, she will probably want to get it professionally installed...who would be the best for doing that (EW?) Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Head unit should look as stock as possible? that's rought. She could do a JL Cleansweep, and use the auxiliary input for her Ipod, it will maintain the factory CD player and clean up the output, adjusting equalization to +/-3db from 30hz/20khz, however she still won't be able to play Mp3 cds.

as far as speakers go, there are literally dozens of great brands, and hundreds of less than great ones. You can do a nice 6.5" component up front, a 5x7 coaxial in the rear, on a good small 4 channel amp.

as far as subs, you could do a single 8" sub ported in a very narrow enclosure, just depending on your preference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.