DFW Mustang Forums banner

Why not Texas at #1?

1K views 62 replies 19 participants last post by  Pro Trash 
#1 ·
Something's changed. It's my birthday, and Texas doesn't have a loss. Not only do they not have a loss, but they are man handling teams. Mack is not helping players up, a la leading-Heisman candidate VY, but he's stepping on them when they're down, and grinding his Texas boot heel into them. VY has gone from Heisman candidate, to Heisman leading candidate, in the eyes of many. The winds of change are all around us.

At the beginning of the season, I could accept the USC #1 arguement based on several reasons. Mostly, they were returning Leinart and Bush, and hell...they were MNCs. Why argue against such a no-brainer?

It isn't a no-brainer anymore.

At this point in the season, as they say in East Texas, that dog don't hunt.

USC has a win over BCS #10 Oregon and #11 ND.

Texas has wins over BCS #8 tOSU, #12 TTech, and #18 CU.

This isn't the smoking gun of irrefuteable evidence that proves Texas should be #1, but it does prove that there is more than just homerism going on when someone dares to rank Texas above the golden children of the West Coast. And as to the conference strength arguement.....I saw what the PAC has to offer this weekend. I wasn't particularly impressed. It's still USC and a bunch of others, much like the Big12 is Texas and a bunch of others. At least the Big 12 has a few teams in the Top 15. Not saying the Big12>Pac....just saying that we dont have a PAC10>Big12 situation.....

See less See more
#2 ·
they'll be the big dogs if they beat USC, until then the spot belongs to them, they haven't lost in a LONG time.

sidenote: even as an OU fan, I must say UT looks to be the real deal this year despite a few hiccups, they pretty much destroy football programs that are touted as "trouble for UT", it's scary.

#3 ·
Because you were losing to OkSU at halftime.

#4 ·
BlueThunder99TA said:
they'll be the big dogs if they beat USC, until then the spot belongs to them, they haven't lost in a LONG time.
It isn't like Texas has lost recently, either. IIRC, it's been about 13 months. And the polls are SUPPOSED to be based on THIS CURRENT SEASON. Of course, the polls aren't supposed to be biased either, but we can see how that works out.

#6 ·
Who Needs 8 said:
Because you were losing to OkSU at halftime.
And USC was down big against Zona going into the 4th.....moot point.

#7 ·
HookEm said:
And USC was down big against Zona going into the 4th.....moot point.
Didn't Zona beat UCLA, who has OkSU beat? Some Cupcakes.

#8 ·
Who Needs 8 said:
Didn't Zona beat UCLA, who has OkSU beat? Some Cupcakes.
UCLA has beaten whom? Some cupcakes. Again, moot point. Texas has a tougher schedule than USC, and thus has more wins over BCS ranked teams.

#11 ·
HookEm said:
UCLA has beaten whom? Some cupcakes. Again, moot point. Texas has a tougher schedule than USC, and thus has more wins over BCS ranked teams.
What's funny is I'm the one blinded MAROON when you fucking idiots can't fucking grasp REALITY!!!

#12 ·
Slow Five-O said:
they all log on to this website and like to watch you cry about texas not being at the number 1 spot.
Again, I never said Texas should be #1. Your reading skills are obviously inept, because it clearly states

This isn't the smoking gun of irrefuteable evidence that proves Texas should be #1, but it does prove that there is more than just homerism going on when someone dares to rank Texas above the golden children of the West Coast.

#13 ·
Slow Five-O said:
they all log on to this website and like to watch you cry about texas not being at the number 1 spot.
Hey, I'm as big of a UT fan as Hook'Em, but USC should still be #1. You get put there for a reason -- because they won the year before and returned everyone including White, Bush, and Leinhart. For someone else to take that #1 spot, they not only have to earn it, but USC has to give a reason to be moved down. While UT may be showing reasons why they have earned the right to be #1, USC hasn't shown a reason to be moved down. Yes, I know they had a close game against ND, but they won, and that's what #1 teams do. The way I see it, as long as you're top 2 in the BCS, that's all that matters. I hope UT stays #2, gets points in the Rose Bowl, and then spanks USC. That way I'll get points on my bet when I would have given them anyway. :D

#14 ·
Who Needs 8 said:
What's funny is I'm the one blinded MAROON when you fucking idiots can't fucking grasp REALITY!!!
I think you are confusing perception and reality. The reality is, Texas has more wins over more highly ranked teams, than USC does. The perception is USC should be #1 by simply being who they are.

#15 ·
Texas is never going to be number one till USC loses or Texas beats USC. They have won back to back Nation Championships, and have won a bunch of games in a row. Why are you not satisfied with them being at number 2 and playing USC for the national title?
HookEm said:

#16 ·
And I'm not saying that it's a fact that Texas should be at 1. I'm saying it's a fact that it is debateable who should be #1, and to blindly stick USC there shows a lack of knowledge of the current state of college football.

Juiceweezl said:
Hey, I'm as big of a UT fan as Hook'Em, but USC should still be #1. You get put there for a reason -- because they won the year before and returned everyone including White, Bush, and Leinhart. For someone else to take that #1 spot, they not only have to earn it, but USC has to give a reason to be moved down. While UT may be showing reasons why they have earned the right to be #1, USC hasn't shown a reason to be moved down. Yes, I know they had a close game against ND, but they won, and that's what #1 teams do. The way I see it, as long as you're top 2 in the BCS, that's all that matters. I hope UT stays #2, gets points in the Rose Bowl, and then spanks USC. That way I'll get points on my bet when I would have given them anyway. :D

#17 ·
jlofton said:
Texas is never going to be number one till USC loses or Texas beats USC. They have won back to back Nation Championships, and have won a bunch of games in a row. Why are you not satisfied with them being at number 2 and playing USC for the national title?
\

I have no problem with where they are at. I have a problem with PAC 10 elitists, and the Eastern Sports Programming Network snobs who guffaw at the notion that Texas may have a legitimate reason to be ranked on the same level as USC.

#18 ·
HookEm said:
Something's changed. It's my birthday, and Texas doesn't have a loss. Not only do they not have a loss, but they are man handling teams. Mack is not helping players up, a la leading-Heisman candidate VY, but he's stepping on them when they're down, and grinding his Texas boot heel into them. VY has gone from Heisman candidate, to Heisman leading candidate, in the eyes of many. The winds of change are all around us.

At the beginning of the season, I could accept the USC #1 arguement based on several reasons. Mostly, they were returning Leinart and Bush, and hell...they were MNCs. Why argue against such a no-brainer?

It isn't a no-brainer anymore.

At this point in the season, as they say in East Texas, that dog don't hunt.

USC has a win over BCS #10 Oregon and #11 ND.

Texas has wins over BCS #8 tOSU, #12 TTech, and #18 CU.

This isn't the smoking gun of irrefuteable evidence that proves Texas should be #1, but it does prove that there is more than just homerism going on when someone dares to rank Texas above the golden children of the West Coast. And as to the conference strength arguement.....I saw what the PAC has to offer this weekend. I wasn't particularly impressed. It's still USC and a bunch of others, much like the Big12 is Texas and a bunch of others. At least the Big 12 has a few teams in the Top 15. Not saying the Big12>Pac....just saying that we dont have a PAC10>Big12 situation.....

C'mon man... you know just as well as everyone else that you're #1 until you lose.

USC 31 straight W's
UT 16 straight W's

Not trying to say who's better, but #1 and #2 don't matter... all that matters is that those two teams get to decide it on the field.

UT started thier season strong while USC has to finish strong. Cal this week (which just happened to be the last loss they had back in 2003). Fresno State is a tough team, and finish will rival UCLA. That's not an easy road to the finish.

But really... who you play and all that rank talk means nothing right now between the two schools.

When you are #1 you are #1 until you lose

#19 ·
HookEm said:
I think you are confusing perception and reality. The reality is, Texas has more wins over more highly ranked teams, than USC does. The perception is USC should be #1 by simply being who they are.
<H2>YOU SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO POST OR DISCUSS COLLEGE FOOTBALL PERIOD </H2>

lol

#20 ·
Well, it seemed a better use of time than posting reason # 4,567,456,329 of "Why Texas is Mecca, and why aggy is aggy."
:D

davidaustin said:
C'mon man... you know just as well as everyone else that your #1 until you lose.

USC 31 straight W's
UT 16 straight W's

Not trying to say who's better, but #1 and #2 don't matter... all that matters is that those two teams get to decide it on the field.

UT started thier season strong while USC has to finish strong. Cal this week (which just happened to be the last loss they had back in 2003). Fresno State is a tough team, and finish will rival UCLA. That's not an easy road to the finish.

But really... who you play and all that rank talk means nothing right now between the two schools.

When you are #1 you are #1 until you lose

#21 ·
I am just as big of a Texas fan as you are. But even as a huge Texas fan I dont feel like they have a ligitimate reason to be ranked on the same level as USC. Texas hasnt won back to back national championships. Until they do I wont complain about them being behind the team who has won back to back national championships.
HookEm said:
\

I have no problem with where they are at. I have a problem with PAC 10 elitists, and the Eastern Sports Programming Network snobs who guffaw at the notion that Texas may have a legitimate reason to be ranked on the same level as USC.

#22 ·
Say what you like, the fact remains Texas has more wins over BCS ranked teams than USC does. The truth is, the possibility of Texas winning the Big 12, yet alone an MNC...to follow the baseball NC, the #2 basketball team, and the absolute owning of aggy in the Lonestar Beatdown, makes you sick to the stomach. Put down the Haterade, and recognize.

Who Needs 8 said:
<H2>YOU SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO POST OR DISCUSS COLLEGE FOOTBALL PERIOD </H2>

lol

#23 ·
being #1 and having back to back championships has nothing to do with your ranking? one good reason why the BCS has the worst post season in all of sports!!!

jlofton said:
I am just as big of a Texas fan as you are. But even as a huge Texas fan I dont feel like they have a ligitimate reason to be ranked on the same level as USC. Texas hasnt won back to back national championships. Until they do I wont complain about them being behind the team who has won back to back national championships.

#24 ·
And to that I would say, the polls are supposed to be a judging of your team's performance in a given year. I hear what you're saying, and I certainly have no problem with someone pimping USC out as a #1 candidate.....I have a problem with people that act as if you've farted in the midst of someone's wedding vows, when you mention Texas as a viable candidate.

jlofton said:

#26 ·
USC will be #1 until they lose. It could be argued that based on THIS years performance Texas deserves to be #1, but it doesn't really matter since UT & USC are #1 and #2.

Texas' average victory margin is 34 points per game. It'll all work out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.