Clay bar and hand polishing? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Clay bar and hand polishing?

Just wondering if they are worth the time and money of doing? What kind of results will I get from both or just one? Also what products are suggested I use?
Thank for the input!

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1- DailyDriver

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000- High RPM Nitrous build in progress...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisH4SvTs View Post
Just wondering if they are worth the time and money of doing? What kind of results will I get from both or just one? Also what products are suggested I use?
Thank for the input!
i do this to all of mine and the results are awsome and last a little over 6 months of daily driving if i use car wash soap to wash it. i use poor boys and several other kinds of products with a porter cable DA buffer.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franks View Post
i do this to all of mine and the results are awsome and last a little over 6 months of daily driving if i use car wash soap to wash it. i use poor boys and several other kinds of products with a porter cable DA buffer.
He's asking about hand polishing not using a Porter cable

Clay is going to help remove contaminates that are on the surface of the paint. If you lightly drag your fingers across the surface and it feels rough, then it would be a good idea to clay. The surface should feel smooth, and you shouldn't be able to feel anything on the surface.

Polishing by hand it a lot of work, and I mean A LOT! There are several products on the market that will fill scratches and swirls. These do not require a lot of elbow grease. But they will not last. After a few washes, the scratches and swirls will come back. If you truly want to remove the scratches and swirls, then it's best to invest in a dual action polisher, not the cheap $25 WalMart specials. A true DA will cost about $100 or more, and will have variable speeds. One that accepts a 6" pad is best, as there are multiple manufactures that supply these pads.

If you're dead set on doing it by hand, might want to set aside a weekend for this project. Invest in lots of Advil also This is a lot of work to do by hand.

If you need any information on products, or advice on how to get this all done, give me a call at 214-205-1287. I'll be happy to give you any advice you need.

Nick

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Very much appreciated!
The reason I'm set on hand polishing is because I don't want to burn through anything!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Iamwaxman!

With a DA, just take your time, don't rush and you will not burn through your paint. They are a very "user friendly" machine, and provide excellent results. There are some DVD's out there that will provide you with all the info you need to use a DA and get the finish you want.

Nick
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:07 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

just stay away from sharp edges and creases.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

One more question, so if I go with the DA, do I still need or want to clay the car?
Thanks for all the input!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:01 AM
Lifer

Quote:
One more question, so if I go with the DA, do I still need or want to clay the car?
Thanks for all the input!
Yes you will need to clay the car first. Before applying any polish you will need to remove any contaminants from the paint surface. If you do not clay you will be grinding contaminants into the paint that cannot be removed by simply washing the car with soap and water.Like nick said you will want a clean contaminant free surface before you begin polishing the paint.

1989 coupe
2006 R6S

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post
Yes you will need to clay the car first. Before applying any polish you will need to remove any contaminants from the paint surface. If you do not clay you will be grinding contaminants into the paint that cannot be removed by simply washing the car with soap and water.Like nick said you will want a clean contaminant free surface before you begin polishing the paint.
Exactly!

If you need some help, just give me a call. I'd be more than happy to help you get going in the right direction.

Nick
214-205-1287
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:21 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Very much appreciated!
The reason I'm set on hand polishing is because I don't want to burn through anything!
Nick is the resident expert, but if you're closer to Plano I can show ya how easy a DA is to use - just to get rid of the skeered feeling. (Where as Nick can confidently teach you how to use it, I can't as I'm still learning a bit myself.)

I can see mistakes happening where a DA would do damage...not paying attention and the metal hitting the paint...etc. As far as the pad/polish burning through, it just seems if you keep it moving slowly you'd never have a problem. I bet you'd have to be a complete moron to burn through the paint with these things.

Now, I suspect a full blown rotary is a totally different story.

Claying...I wish I would've learned to do it earlier. Best bang for buck and effort IMHO.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/ This is also a great source of information. Like me, you probably trust people from this site but still like to read a bunch more. Plus, it can help save you from asking questions. Just an all around good research site.

Finally, as Nick is beating around the bush I think...*I* would NEVER hand polish whole cars personally. My mind wants to cry as even with a polisher from start to finish I'm probably outside 9-12 hours on a car depending... That's simply exterior wash, engine bay, tires/wheels removed/cleaned, interior, clay, polish (once) and wax.

My '03 Sold.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Finally, as Nick is beating around the bush I think...*I* would NEVER hand polish whole cars personally. My mind wants to cry as even with a polisher from start to finish I'm probably outside 9-12 hours on a car depending... That's simply exterior wash, engine bay, tires/wheels removed/cleaned, interior, clay, polish (once) and wax.
I'm not beating around the bush, you can polish your entire car by hand if you want, but thats some SERIOUS work! And I mean SERIOUS! To do it correctly, and not just slap some products on there then wipe it off, it would take a minimum of 12-20 hours by hand.

Just be careful, there are a lot of products on the market that contain a high amount of fillers. Wipe them on, then wipe them off and PRESTO you car is swirl free! Nothing is that easy or simple. Fillers will be removed when you wash your car, and you'll be left with the same scratches and swirls in a very short amount of time. To do it correctly, it will take a serious amount of time. I would set aside an entire weekend for a project like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement