Caring for old paint? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
I might, im drunk.......
 
Skidonenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: .
Posts: 4,116
Caring for old paint?

I just picked up a 61' falcon with original paint (black) w/almost no rust. It has some dents/scratches but I am fine with those, I would just like to take care of what is there.
Skidonenko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Wash it, keep a regular good coat of wax on it, and enjoy it.
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 AM
23
 
MrEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wylie
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidonenko View Post
I just picked up a 61' falcon with original paint (black) w/almost no rust. It has some dents/scratches but I am fine with those, I would just like to take care of what is there.
let Nick work on it first, then keep the wax on it.
MrEd is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: temple
Posts: 924
i like the meguilars 3 stage wax.. its a cleaner, polisher and final wax.. really brought back the paint on my 94 lightning. everybody told me id have to get it repainted and now it looks brand new. oh, and get a nice random orbital buffer. so much less time and your arms will thank you!!


:side question... nick, what would you recommend using to keep the gloss super nice in between waxes? i put wax on it about every 2 months, but ive been looking at different 'quick wax options'.

2008 Freightliner Columbia -- daily driver
2010 Jeep unlimited Rubicon
1991 toyota pickup with a few mods.
blk87coupe is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk87coupe View Post
i like the meguilars 3 stage wax.. its a cleaner, polisher and final wax.. really brought back the paint on my 94 lightning. everybody told me id have to get it repainted and now it looks brand new. oh, and get a nice random orbital buffer. so much less time and your arms will thank you!!


:side question... nick, what would you recommend using to keep the gloss super nice in between waxes? i put wax on it about every 2 months, but ive been looking at different 'quick wax options'.
I don't use any types of "quick waxes", so I'm absolutely no help there. If it needs to be waxed, then wax it. Only takes a couple of more minutes

And a random orbital buffer only replaces your arm, it does nothing your hand can not do. If you really want to spice things up a bit, get a G110 from Meguiar's or a Flex. Those two machines will really make your paint scream
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
I might, im drunk.......
 
Skidonenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: .
Posts: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
let Nick work on it first, then keep the wax on it.
I am not that nuts about how shiny the car is, just want to preserve whats there. Ill open up some elbow grease on it tomorrow
Skidonenko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome