Washing/Waxing a black car - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Washing/Waxing a black car

What is everyone using? And please share your methods!

I am spending too much time fighting water spots....

a few bolt on mods....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Strong to Quite Strong

Detailing spray.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Public Melt Down

wet shammy

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 02:52 PM
KAZ
Time Served

I use Mequires soap.
Once you start don't let any part of the car dry before you're done (keep it rinsed)
Don't wash/dry in direct sunlight
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

IBTM to the detail forum..

If you stay on top of it you can stick primarily with detail spray. If you get water spots it just means you didn't dry it fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZ View Post
I use Mequires soap.
Once you start don't let any part of the car dry before you're done (keep it rinsed)
Don't wash/dry in direct sunlight
Exactly.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Time Served

Also, do not wipe your car down. Use a spot free rinse and let it air dry. Wiping it down is one of the ways to cause tiny scratches. When it is dry use a micro fiber cloth with some detailing spray to take care of any spots. I personal put a lite coat of Zaino car wax on every two weeks. It really gives my car the wet look all the time
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangpete4.6 View Post
Also, do not wipe your car down. Use a spot free rinse and let it air dry. Wiping it down is one of the ways to cause tiny scratches. When it is dry use a micro fiber cloth with some detailing spray to take care of any spots. I personal put a lite coat of Zaino car wax on every two weeks. It really gives my car the wet look all the time

X2 on Zaino, that stuff is the shit!

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Time Served

Ask Nick... But when I had my car I just washed/ re-waxed it every week. Yeah it was a bitch but I never found a way to dry it with out streaks. And I used Meguires products mainly... zaino at times.

Who Knows...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:13 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstang View Post
X2 on Zaino, that stuff is the shit!
Clay bar with Meguires detail spray and then apply Zaino 1 & 2. The following week Zaino 1 only and you will not have to do it for at least another year. This is what I've been using on my Black Cobra for over 5 years...'Henry
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Grapevine Ford

i use nick

Skip Harmon
Director of Sales
Grapevine Ford/Lincoln
817-319-2298
www.grapevineford.com
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Super Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlhay2 View Post
What is everyone using?

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V View Post
Clay bar with Meguires detail spray and then apply Zaino 1 & 2. The following week Zaino 1 only and you will not have to do it for at least another year. This is what I've been using on my Black Cobra for over 5 years...'Henry

Zaino 1 or 2 the following week? I thought it was 2. Instead of using Z-1, try the ZFX stuff, you can apply multiple Z-2 coats a lot faster, and no Z-1 is required.

If you want to hire a great detailer, Nick all the way, if you want to do it yourself, check out this site:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:31 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

Quote:
Zaino 1 or 2 the following week? I thought it was 2. Instead of using Z-1, try the ZFX stuff, you can apply multiple Z-2 coats a lot faster, and no Z-1 is required.
You are correct sir, thats what I meant, #2 the following week. I bought a lot so I have yet to buy the ZFX...YET!

I also have the Z-5 which I use with the 3-M buff pad, it works very well...
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Custom Title

Quote:
You are correct sir, thats what I meant, #2 the following week. I bought a lot so I have yet to buy the ZFX...YET!

I also have the Z-5 which I use with the 3-M buff pad, it works very well...
I just chunked the Z-1 after I got the ZFX, huge difference! You can do like 3 coats in a day with it.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 07:38 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

Quote:
I just chunked the Z-1 after I got the ZFX, huge difference! You can do like 3 coats in a day with it.
Multiple coats huh, you're an aristocrat, lol!

Actually, I'll have to admit, I'm multiple coater as well
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Lifer

Heres a TIP for all of the people on here who are wanting to dry there vehicle quick, have minimal water spots, and not use a towel that may induce defects in the finish.

After washing, use a leaf blower to blow the excess water off. It works wonders for me, and makes my business run a lot quicker. If the car has no wax on it, it is a little more difficult to get the water off, but if there is good protection on the car, drying it is a piece of cake. I can completely wash and dry the GT in 15 minutes.

My method for waxing.

1. Wash the car with dawn soap to comepletely remove above surface contaminants. I usually go over it twice.

2. Clay the entire car with Meguiars clay. If I am not going to polish, I will use blue. I use UQD as a lubricant.

3. Wipe down the car with a 50/50 IPA/water solution to ensure complete removal of all remaing wax, fillers or any other contaminant that may still be bonded to the surface. I go over it twice.

4. Apply Meguiars #26 wax via PC7242, Meguiars PC, or a similar DA style machine using a Lake Country red pad. I use the 4" pads because they are easier for me to use, and I get a more even coverage. They just work great for me. Apply 2 or 3 coats of #26.

5. Re-wash the vehicle using the two-bucket method, and dry it via leaf blower. Apply Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer following the intructions on the bottle, spraying it on, wiping the surface, and turn the cloth over and use the dry side to remove the excess.

6. Apply dressings to exterior plastics, tires and wheel wells.

7. Enjoy the brilliant shine!

#26 is one of my favorite waxes to use on a dark vehicle. I used to use NXT 2.0, but it is sometimes difficult to get an even, streak free finish.

Heres a pic of the stang I did today. The pic is after two coats of #26. My camera does not take high quality pictures, sorry. The picture should give you an idea of how nice the finish came out. Very reflective, and it looks very deep and wet. Looks pretty damn good for Ford oem paint.

NO NO NO, it should be DFWLS1's, CUMMINS, C6 VETTES.net

Last edited by 89gt-stanger; 05-22-2009 at 08:20 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Banned

Wash, dry with shammy. After everything is dry, there are going to be spots on black. It's inevitable. Use a clean white cloth to wipe off the spots/streaks. I had to do a black 08 bullitt not too long ago. Basically the blackest black car that Ford makes. It looked freaking amazing using that method.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
Wash, dry with shammy. After everything is dry, there are going to be spots on black. It's inevitable. Use a clean white cloth to wipe off the spots/streaks. I had to do a black 08 bullitt not too long ago. Basically the blackest black car that Ford makes. It looked freaking amazing using that method.
I get zero water spots on the black expedition.

What type of "white cloth" are you using?

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Why are you applying Z1 after an application of Z2? And why are you applying it a week later?

I have never heard of z1/2 lasting an entire year. The longest it lasted for the testers was 6-8 months.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:35 AM
2-7 and still a fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89gt-stanger View Post
Why are you applying Z1 after an application of Z2? And why are you applying it a week later?

I have never heard of z1/2 lasting an entire year. The longest it lasted for the testers was 6-8 months.
I don't drive my car on the rain and when I do wash it I use a low phosphate soap that doesn't strip the Zaino, not that it matters, the only way to get it off is to use scalding HOT water or Dawn liquid detergent. Also I don't know where you got your information but in the tests that were conducted by the NSX forums, Meguires#26 was the least protectant, not even lasting a month in harsh weather. Zaino was #1 with and Zymol,#2, NSX was #3, Turtlewax #4, Meguires #5, IIRC it's been a while since that test was done.
I also went back and edited my post, I meant to say #2 a week later as a multiple coat
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89gt-stanger View Post
I get zero water spots on the black expedition.

What type of "white cloth" are you using?
Just a white terri-cloth I guess. Whatever we have up here at work. Unfortunately the shammies we have here get used a shit ton and get dirty which is probably why the streaks and spots occur. The towel fixes it right up though.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I don't drive my car on the rain and when I do wash it I use a low phosphate soap that doesn't strip the Zaino, not that it matters, the only way to get it off is to use scalding HOT water or Dawn liquid detergent. Also I don't know where you got your information but in the tests that were conducted by the NSX forums, Meguires#26 was the least protectant, not even lasting a month in harsh weather. Zaino was #1 with and Zymol,#2, NSX was #3, Turtlewax #4, Meguires #5, IIRC it's been a while since that test was done.
I also went back and edited my post, I meant to say #2 a week later as a multiple coat
I was not saying that the Zaino products lasted longer than the Meguiars products. I said that I have never heard of Z1/Z2 lasting longer than 6-8 months, in typical weather. If your car is garaged, never sees rain, and is only driven 3 times a week, then yes, it will last quite a while longer -vs- another vehicle that bakes in the Texas sun, gets rain on, and daily driven.

Which waxes are those? Zymol makes several different waxes, as does Turtlewax and Zaino. Some Meguiars waxes last longer than some Zymol waxes, and vise versa. So that list does not mean anything really. Turtlewaxes do not look that great IME.

#26 will last 6-7 weeks on the GT. I properly wash it every 4-5 days, and use UQD every day on it. I prefer Meguiars products over Zaino, Zymol and Pinnacle in most cases because Meguiars products are easy to use, I know all of the products by heart, and they are priced very well.

How do you apply wax?
When is the last time you polished the cobra?
What are you using?
Just curios.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement