Flex XC 3401 Polisher - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Flex XC 3401 Polisher

Hey Nick, is this a good polisher for home use? I just want to maintain the look of my car & want a good polisher. I was thinking about the Porter Cable but it seems that everyone always upgrades to something better.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DB0NVG/...l_23edohfu6n_e

1990 Mustang GT
306, typhoon intake, E303, stock heads, 1.6 FMS R.R., 70 T.B., 80mm PMAS, 42lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, adj. billet regulator, MSD dist., coil & 6A box, BBK shorties, o/r x-pipe, Spintech Pro Streets dumped, T-5, Center Force Dual Friction, 3.55's, S-Trim... 396hp/398trq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Iamwaxman!

I have the Flex and absolutely love it! I don't recommend it much here because of the cost, it's pretty expensive for a DA type machine. The one problem that I have, and I hear most about it is the counter clockwise rotation. If you have any experience with a rotary or DA, they all rotate clockwise. When you get a new machine that rotates a different direction, it can and will throw you off a bit making it difficult to use. But all in all, I love my Flex, and use it often.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I have never used a rotary or DA. Will this be a problem?

1990 Mustang GT
306, typhoon intake, E303, stock heads, 1.6 FMS R.R., 70 T.B., 80mm PMAS, 42lb injectors, 255 fuel pump, adj. billet regulator, MSD dist., coil & 6A box, BBK shorties, o/r x-pipe, Spintech Pro Streets dumped, T-5, Center Force Dual Friction, 3.55's, S-Trim... 396hp/398trq

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Iamwaxman!

No, you should be fine then. With previous experience with rotary or DA, you just get used to the clockwise rotation. You know exactly what the machine is going to do at what angle. When you switch that rotation, everything changes. When you think it's going to zig it zags, make sense? If you have no experience, then you'll be fine. But it will make switching to a rotary difficult if you ever go that route in the future.

If you'd like to try out the different machines, swing by the house. I have all of them, and you can play with them and see which one fits you best. I'm home all day today.

Nick
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

That would be cool but I live in Corpus Christi. Lol...

Thanks!!!

1990 Mustang GT
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Lifer

I wish I could afford to get a flex... damn.

NO NO NO, it should be DFWLS1's, CUMMINS, C6 VETTES.net
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 PM
BANNED

nick, got a used porter cable you wanna sell?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I can get the Flex for 15% off & free shipping from autogeek. Is that a good deal?

1990 Mustang GT
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike69 View Post
I can get the Flex for 15% off & free shipping from autogeek. Is that a good deal?
Depends on what the 15% is off what price. Autogeek is pretty high on their prices most of the time, which is why I mostly buy from autodetailingsolutions.com. They usually have the best deals(but not always).
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro88LX View Post
nick, got a used porter cable you wanna sell?

Maybe. Let me see how many I have left.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Chapman View Post
Depends on what the 15% is off what price. Autogeek is pretty high on their prices most of the time, which is why I mostly buy from autodetailingsolutions.com. They usually have the best deals(but not always).
It is $299 with free shipping plus the 15% off. What do you think?

Or this one?
http://www.autogeek.net/flex-polisher-kit-bag.html

1990 Mustang GT
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:42 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike69 View Post
Hey Nick, is this a good polisher for home use? I just want to maintain the look of my car & want a good polisher. I was thinking about the Porter Cable but it seems that everyone always upgrades to something better.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DB0NVG/...l_23edohfu6n_e
Tonight I'm putting my order in on this...

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/g110-kit-2.html

there is another thread. I was curious why you're chosing the Flex over the PC or G110 and it is a curiousity thing. I understand we all have our own reasons. I'll be maintaining 4 vehicles with the G110 and from what I can tell it'll suffice for my type of usage and overall is a better unit with better customer service then the PC.

Now, in all honesty I did not heavily research the Flex due to the cost. Also, the brief looks I saw indicated people loved it but the G110/PCs work well for MOST people. So, basically I'm just trying to understand why one would chose the Flex over the G110/PC - if you're not a professional. Your reasoning may make me go -oh shit- and order a flex instead...just worried I"m missing something.

edit: also, here is a flex kit from ADS - same price with goodies...

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/xc3401vrg.html

edit2: Just looked at your link. That one comes with more stuff.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Tonight I'm putting my order in on this...

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/g110-kit-2.html

there is another thread. I was curious why you're chosing the Flex over the PC or G110 and it is a curiousity thing. I understand we all have our own reasons. I'll be maintaining 4 vehicles with the G110 and from what I can tell it'll suffice for my type of usage and overall is a better unit with better customer service then the PC.

Now, in all honesty I did not heavily research the Flex due to the cost. Also, the brief looks I saw indicated people loved it but the G110/PCs work well for MOST people. So, basically I'm just trying to understand why one would chose the Flex over the G110/PC - if you're not a professional. Your reasoning may make me go -oh shit- and order a flex instead...just worried I"m missing something.

edit: also, here is a flex kit from ADS - same price with goodies...

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/xc3401vrg.html

edit2: Just looked at your link. That one comes with more stuff.

Take care,
The Flex is a forced rotation machine, meaning it has even more power than the G110 or the PC. Thats why I was telling you to come to my house and go over the different machines before you buy. You need to pick the best machine for yourself.

In level of aggressiveness,

The rotary being the most aggressive
The Flex being 2nd
G110 from Meguiar's being 3rd
and the Porter Cable coming in as the least aggressive
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Iamwaxman!

And the kit he picked out from Autogeek has 1 more pad for $30 more. but if he gets 15% off and free shipping, it should even itself out to the ADS prices that you linked.

Edit, the Autogeek kit doesn't come with any compounds or polishes. Only with pad a cleaner and conditioner. The ADS kit comes with Meguiar's M105 and M205, so you're ready to work right out of the box. You'll have to buy towels with both kits.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Chapman View Post
And the kit he picked out from Autogeek has 1 more pad for $30 more. but if he gets 15% off and free shipping, it should even itself out to the ADS prices that you linked.

Edit, the Autogeek kit doesn't come with any compounds or polishes. Only with pad a cleaner and conditioner. The ADS kit comes with Meguiar's M105 and M205, so you're ready to work right out of the box. You'll have to buy towels with both kits.
Fair enough, I did not have a chance to analyze it as I was late for work already but this thread interested me.

So it's all about the power...more or less? I really think I need to stay away from trying the flex out and stick within my happy little budget zone. I may somewhat regret it one day, but I think the G110 will WORK for what I need. I hope.

My '03 Sold.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Fair enough, I did not have a chance to analyze it as I was late for work already but this thread interested me.

So it's all about the power...more or less? I really think I need to stay away from trying the flex out and stick within my happy little budget zone. I may somewhat regret it one day, but I think the G110 will WORK for what I need. I hope.
Oh, it will absolutely work for what you're wanting. The Flex is just a harder working machine. But the G110 will do everything you want it to without a problem.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

From what I have read, they both will get the results you want. The flex will take less time than the others. That's the main reason why I am going with the flex.

1990 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement