Leather treatment steps? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Leather treatment steps?

Nick, think you can detail the steps you take to clean and condition leather? I was really impressed at how my seats came out on the SuperCrew when you detailed her the last time and I'd like to keep it that way. Thanks.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Iamwaxman!

Well, I've never been happy with any of the leather products that I've used in the past. Yes, they get the seats clean and protect them. But I think it could be better.
So, I am constantly going through leather cleaners. We're using a Meguiar's product right now, and it seems to be working "ok".

I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with a leather cleaner
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Lifer

I have used a tone too. I was never really impressed with the maguirs stuff. I don't like the thick cream becuase it gets in the seams and perferations.

I have been using armor all leather wipes as of late and I love them. Takes 5 minutes to wipe the seats down and they feel so good afterwards. I just do that every 2-3 weeks and they stay soft clean, and smooth.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 01:51 PM
D
Sofa Kingdom

I always scrubbed my leather down really well with some Saddle Soap to clean it, then Maguire's Gold Class leather conditioner.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 05:07 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Well, I've never been happy with any of the leather products that I've used in the past. Yes, they get the seats clean and protect them. But I think it could be better.
So, I am constantly going through leather cleaners. We're using a Meguiar's product right now, and it seems to be working "ok".

I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with a leather cleaner
Ever tried the stuff that comes in a little orange bottle called Lexonl (spelling?)

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:04 AM

i ususally use a heavy degresser that's deluted pretty good with water, dont want the degresser to potent or it will start discoloring the leather, then afterwards use a good leather condidtioner. I like Auto Beauty Products leather condidtioner brings back a good shine and lasts a good while..
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 03:11 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

I use Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner. It seems to work ok.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
What do you usually use to wipe it with? A sponge? Rag? Applicator pad?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Lifer

I use the Zanio leather cleaner/conditioner. Spray the cleaner on and wipe it with an microfiber towel, then put the conditioner on. I have used all the other over counter stuff and this is the best I have used. Plus it smells great.

05 GT, 07 Trailblazer SS, 04 Lightning

Past vehicles: 4 93 cobras, 96 cobra, 99 cobra, 03 cobra, 04 cobra,04 cobra vert 8 fox bodies, 3 94-95 gt's, 04 Lighting, SVT contour, 02 Saleen, 2 03 Mach 1's, 02 & 03GT's, 08 bullitt, 01 bullitt,65 Coupe, 07 si
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:40 PM
dead

i'll get the brand of the cleaner i was using next time i go to my parents house. it was actually provided by the furniture store for the leather sofa set they purchased. it was decent for cleaning, but worked fantastic at conditioning leather.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:43 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW

That's what I was thinking of, a little of this stuff goes a long way. I always used an applicator pad.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 08:16 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
What do you usually use to wipe it with? A sponge? Rag? Applicator pad?
I use a rag.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 09:22 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

I recently bought a new couch from Haverty's. It was microfiber, but the "generic" furniture care kit came with a Leather Cleaner, and a Leather Conditioner that is made in Italy and made for Italian Leather Couches.

I used that in my TTA, and DAMN. Instead of making the leather hard like I've seen from every other car product I've used, this really and actually did make the leather soft again.

I can get the brand name of this stuff later. But I'm sure Haverty's sells it. Probably not cheap, but I guarentee it's better than any other crap you'll find "for cars".

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
I recently bought a new couch from Haverty's. It was microfiber, but the "generic" furniture care kit came with a Leather Cleaner, and a Leather Conditioner that is made in Italy and made for Italian Leather Couches.

I used that in my TTA, and DAMN. Instead of making the leather hard like I've seen from every other car product I've used, this really and actually did make the leather soft again.

I can get the brand name of this stuff later. But I'm sure Haverty's sells it. Probably not cheap, but I guarentee it's better than any other crap you'll find "for cars".

Thats how the Armor All wipes are for me. Makes the seats soft and smooth, its very nice. I do them every few weeks since my car is daily driven and it sits outside.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 10:24 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

The brand of the stuff is Guardsman.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 11:31 PM
I. Am. God.

kind of off track, but it's still about leather, and i didn't feel like making a new thread.

the tops of my backseat on my vert are...like...dried out? extremely hard to the touch, and just plain ugly. i do not have tint on the back window because it's a convertable. if i were to condition that shit like twice a day for x amount of days, would i get a little life back into it?

1994 Cobra Pace Car For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56482
only on DFWstangs...
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot To Kill
kind of off track, but it's still about leather, and i didn't feel like making a new thread.

the tops of my backseat on my vert are...like...dried out? extremely hard to the touch, and just plain ugly. i do not have tint on the back window because it's a convertable. if i were to condition that shit like twice a day for x amount of days, would i get a little life back into it?

it will get a little better, but it is prolly lost. It will get better but don't expect it to be new again.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 12:49 AM
I. Am. God.

yeah, i knew it wouldn't look new, but every time i see it, i'm just like " man, that sucks. "

1994 Cobra Pace Car For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56482
only on DFWstangs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement