How to keep a Nicks Custom Detail looking good! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Im somebody's daddy!

Thumbs up How to keep a Nicks Custom Detail looking good!

I havent done much with my Fairlane since Carrie had Nick detail it a month ago. Driven it a few times after work and on a few evenings, and not in the rain yet. I would blow the car off with blow gun and thats it. There was minimum dust build up on the car that by my guess would be sticking to the wax.

Well, Last week I parked on the street during the day and ran an errand in another car. I came back and the lawn service was there and had edged the yard right next to the car. Mud, grass, water, dirt, etc. all over the car. I tried blowing it off, but the mud was pretty much still all over. Nick did such a good job on the car, I was afraid to even touch it. The car is black and I dont want any swirl marks if I can avoid it. I talked to Nick and he gave me a few pointers and some products to use as well. But I was still nervous and I didnt want to go rubbing all over the car.

So, Ive had this Mr. Clean Autodry car wash gun for about a year and half and never even took it out of the box. I decided to give it a try today. I blew the car off again and then rinsed if off using the Autodry gun. Then I loaded up some of the Mr. Clean soap and sprayed the whole car down a few times. I didnt use a rag, or a sponge or a mit. Then I switched the gun over to the filtered rinse and let it have it. I went over the car about 3 times and pulled it into the garage to dry. 15-20 minutes later there was some standing water on top of the rear fins, in the rear door handle pockets and on the very center of the roof. I gently dried those areas with 100% cotton terry towels. There is virtually no water spots on the car. What spots are on there, I wiped clean with Quick Detailer and a microfiber cloth.

It looks really good in direct sunlight. Im hoping to avoid swirl marks as much as I can on the car. I figure that blowing the car off and using this Mr. Clean Autodry stuff it will help as much as possible. If I dont get the car really dirty, Im guessing I can avoid having to use a mit, sponge or rag on the car to wash it.

Anybody else have any tips to keep the swirls to a minimum and still maintain the standard of a Nicks Custom Detail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharer
I would call Dave at TurboDaves for all of your turbo needs.

Last edited by bsharer; 07-22-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

get water filter/softener so that when the car dries, there aren't any contaminants in the water. Nick's washes alone look 15x better than the average wash because he uses the cleanest water I've ever seen. He literally cleans the car and then hoses it down and lets it sit there. We didn't use any towels. It's amazing how much better the car looks with purified water alone.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Custom Title

Use Evian bottled water.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Im somebody's daddy!

Turned out pretty good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clean.JPG
Views:	1318
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	78300  

Quote:
I would call Dave at TurboDaves for all of your turbo needs.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Iamwaxman!

Damn! Good job Bryan!

That Mr Clean system works pretty good. Glad you got it all cleaned up. There are more water softneing systems out there that work pretty good, but they're not perfect(or cheap). Mr Clean is a good substitue for rinsing your car off after washing and minimizing water spots.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Nick
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Founding Member

Thats a sweet car.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 01:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Damn! Good job Bryan!

That Mr Clean system works pretty good. Glad you got it all cleaned up. There are more water softneing systems out there that work pretty good, but they're not perfect(or cheap). Mr Clean is a good substitue for rinsing your car off after washing and minimizing water spots.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Nick
so you would say the mr clean thing is worth the $$?

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:30 AM
Texan

Quote:
Turned out pretty good!
if that car doesnt get you laid you dont have a dick

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:02 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro88LX
so you would say the mr clean thing is worth the $$?

Ehhh, to a point. I think it does pretty good to minimize the water spots when rinsing. I really don't like to too well for washing. But if you're doing something like what Bryan was using it for(a little more than rinsing it off), then yes, it works pretty well.
But actually washing your car the traditional way, always works best. Bryan is trying to minimize swirls on his car, and if thats your goal, then you should try it and see how it works for you.

Nick
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Ehhh, to a point. I think it does pretty good to minimize the water spots when rinsing. I really don't like to too well for washing. But if you're doing something like what Bryan was using it for(a little more than rinsing it off), then yes, it works pretty well.
But actually washing your car the traditional way, always works best. Bryan is trying to minimize swirls on his car, and if thats your goal, then you should try it and see how it works for you.

Nick
I thought I read somewhere that it affected the wax or polish on the cars surface, you heard anything about that?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Marcus Aurelius

The best way I learned to dry off a car was to use a good electric leaf blower. Once the car is slick enough with wax, the water just shoots off the car. Plus it gets all the water out of the crevices and spots where you can't get with a towel or chamois or Absorber or whatever.

--Marcus
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoBro
I thought I read somewhere that it affected the wax or polish on the cars surface, you heard anything about that?
I was wondering the same thing.

Car looks great!

Chuck
2001 Black Bullitt (For Sale)
2009 Black JK Unlimited X, M6, 35's
www.imboc.com
Rob (Tweakd) Memorial 3/13/05
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 05:53 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoBro

I guess I should have expressed what I was saying a little more.
I've read the same things about it affecting wax, but if I remember correctly, it was over long periods of time, and washing weekly. Bryan isn't going to be washing this car weekly, and in his case I think it will work well for him. The main reason I told him to use this system, was for the spotless rinse. I personally think that this is a good system to buy if you're wanting a cheap spotless rinse system. Not specifically for the washing, but more for the spotless rinse.

Which is why I said this
Quote:

Swirls are caused from touching things on your paint surface(wash mitts, drying towels, etc...). The less you have to touch your car with things, the less of a chance you are going to have to instill swirls in your paint. If you use a spotless rinse system, then you won't have to use a towel too much to dry your car(meaning one less thing touching your car and possibly scratching or swirling your car).

Using air,wether it be from a leaf blower, air hose, or whatever is best(I think). But you have to make sure your air source is CLEAN! if you have dirt in the lines, it's going to be just like sandblasting your car. We use a blower system to dry parts of the car, and to blow the water out of all the places water likes to hide. But I always hold my hand over the blower opening to make sure nothing harmful is coming out of it before I put it anywhere close to the car.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm callin you out!

Good info Nick. Real good info.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Turned out pretty good!
Thats sick!! More pics please??
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote: