Best way to degrease my motor safely? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Best way to degrease my motor safely?

what is the best way to do this with out making it run bad afterwards dodge truck with dist. cap & rotor? Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Lifer

Umm get some gunk and spray everything bu the dizzy. let it dry for a while, then drive away. Most thign are water tight in the engine compartment or have a electrical grease to protect them from water.

Just befor ethe spring cruise i washed my engine compartment, had a slight hick up with the maf meter, let dry, and it was good to go.

85 SVO 2.7t coming soon
Old 438whp 1/8th??
Older 375whp [email protected]

We will never forget you WILD 42!
Friends I've Lost

Even if you make something dummy-proof, the world makes a better dummy.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa4banger
Umm get some gunk and spray everything bu the dizzy. let it dry for a while, then drive away. Most thign are water tight in the engine compartment or have a electrical grease to protect them from water.

Just befor ethe spring cruise i washed my engine compartment, had a slight hick up with the maf meter, let dry, and it was good to go.

No offense, but this doesn't work for every vehicle. Some people have polished parts under the hood and spraying them down with a degreaser will discolor them. To safely clean your engine, a lot of electrical parts need to be covered up also. This is why I don't give advice on cleaning engines on here. Just about every engine is different, and they must be handled differently.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Nick, Any advise would be great, I have a 2000 dodge ram with 5.9 L V-8 can I just buy something at auto zone? & do I leave it running while I do it? I just cover up the dist.? Thanks!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Founding Member

I heard Nick does engine details.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Yah think?, I was trying to get some advise to do it myself.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 06:17 AM
Iamwaxman!

Don't leave your engine running. I try and do all of my engines cold. Some people say warm is better, but I get them pretty darn clean while they are cold.
Cover everything electrical. Alternator, distributor, relays, fuses, etc... Some of this is not required, but if your asking me for advice, I'm going to tell you to cover everything electrical. Any polished peices need to be covered up(degreasers will discolor these peices). Don't use high pressure water. Don't be afraid to use a scrub brush.

All items that were covered up will need to be done by hand after you're finished washing the rest of the engine.

Nick
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Thanks Nick, I agree better to be safe than sorry, Do you recomend a certian degreaser? simple green? or that foaming stuff from auto zone?? Thanks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 06:51 AM
Iamwaxman!

The only thing I use anymore is Super Degreaser from Meguiar's. I found the most other degreasers leave a funky smell for days or weeks afterwards, and I really don't like that. Super Degreaser may not be the strongest degreaser out there, but it fits my needs very well. I've cleaned some of the most disgusting engines out there with this stuff, and it has never let me down.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Again Thanks for your advise, I will get some and do it this weekend!, Mike
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

engine

i am going to get my engine done soon so i will be calling nick some time
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 11:21 AM

Most items in engines are waterproof and can get wet. If you have an older style engine with a distributor you will find that condensation can build up in the distributor cap and have to be blow out and dried.

Personally I would never clean a hot engine, cold water can crack plastic.

Always use a pressure washer because they put out only 3 to 4 gallons of water a minute. A water hose puts out 10 to 12 gallons a minute which is too much water and could cause problems.

You can use any engine degreaser chemical in an engine with no problem.

HOWEVER, if you use a true engine degreaser that normally contains "caustics" (sodium hydroxide) to "burn" grease off surfaces, and you have aluminum heads it will stain them just like it would aluminum or alloy wheels.

Have cleaned engines for years and never had any major problems unless someone was stupid and did not think before acting.

Regards
Bud Abraham
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement