Possible replacement for the clay bar??? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Possible replacement for the clay bar???

Morning all!

Just got a new product in that I'm trying out. It's called the Hi-Tech Body Sponge, and it's suppossed to replace traditional the clay bar.

Here is a picture of what it looks like...

I got a chance to try it out last night, although only on some glass. It worked awesome on the glass. Much better than traditional clay bar. 1-2 swipes with this sponge and all traces of overspray were completely gone off of the glass.
Couple of things that concern me using this on any paint. The particles have really no where to go. With traditional clay, the particles just get trapped inside the clay itself, keeping it away from your paints surface and therefor, not scratching. With this sponge, there is really no where for the particles to go. It's basically a sponge with a thin film of rubber on one side. You use the rubber side on your paint. So scratches are a possibility.

Couple of positives...
1- Use a bucket of soap and water as your lubricant. Dunk the sponge in the soapy water and use on car. Keep dunking it in the soapy water to lubricate. While you're using it, you can squeeze the sponge to release more lubricant. Basically, just use it like you would wash your car.

2- with traditional clay, if you dropped it, you had to throw it in the trash. Can't use it any more. With this new sponge, you simply rinse it off and you're all set again.......big plus!!!

Anyhow...Just thought I'd pass this new info along to you guys. I'm still testing it out, and I plan on taking it to my paints surface tonight or tomorrow afternoon, and I'll post up my findings after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

hmm...interesting. I saw a commercial this morning for some Liquid Clay Bar that Turtle Wax makes. Don't know if it's worth anything.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Lifer

Sounds interesting, will be watching for the results! Also need to get with you about detailing exterior of my new (to me) truck. It has some minor scratches and swirls and needs a good wax. Almost afraid to get a quote as it is large; 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4WD.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsretiredathlete
hmm...interesting. I saw a commercial this morning for some Liquid Clay Bar that Turtle Wax makes. Don't know if it's worth anything.

Yes, and the reviews that I've read about this product are not favorable. "More work with less results than traditional clay bar" seems to be the majority findings. For $16, I'd rather buy the traditional clay bar and get great results.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco71
Sounds interesting, will be watching for the results! Also need to get with you about detailing exterior of my new (to me) truck. It has some minor scratches and swirls and needs a good wax. Almost afraid to get a quote as it is large; 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4WD.

Give me a call and we'll chat about it. I won't hurt you to badly
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Give me a call and we'll chat about it. I won't hurt you to badly
Let me know when you can come take care of the new daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement