Maguire's Scratch X - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom

Angry Maguire's Scratch X

The stuff itself produces phenominal (sp?) results. I was extremelly happy with the results I recieved, but my goodness was that stuff a pain in the ass. I'm not quite sure if I what I did was right or not (apply with new wax applicator pad as recommended on the tube, wipe off with 100% terry cloth towel...apply and let dry before removing) but Jesus Jones were my arms on fire. I've never used a wax that was such a pain in the fucking ass to get off. I started out by hand, but it wasn't all coming up so I tried an orbital buffer. That wasn't working either. I called an old friend and he said to very lightly dampen the corner of the towel and use that corner to remove the wax. That worked a little better, but not by a whole lot. My car's paint was cool (washed in the shade, dryed in the garage, never saw sun). I'm I retarded or is this stuff just naturally a PITA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Time Served

Dont let it dry. Hand polishing takes some muscle when working in the polish, but not to remove it.
-Only work a small area at a time - about 6 inch by 6 inch area or smaller.
-You can apply using a combination of circular motions and straight-line motions.
-Work the product against the finish until it looks as you have almost run out of product.
-Re-apply the product and repeat the above steps 2-3 more times.
-Wipe off with a microfiber towel and check for desired results.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Iamwaxman!

ScratchX is not a wax. It is a product used to removed paint defects by hand. You do not want to let this product dry.

Also, you need to apply a wax when you're finished with this product.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
ScratchX is not a wax. It is a product used to removed paint defects by hand. You do not want to let this product dry.

I was wondering. I've always just rubbed the spot in question with it on a 100% cotton towel.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:

My whole car was swirly, so I did it on the whole car. The back of the tube says to apply it in a particular area, which I did, let it dry, which I did, and wipe it off with a 100% terry cloth towel, which I did. I did apply Maguire's NXT wax afterwards. I'm sure I did the application process properly, but the removal was a pain.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Time Served

Yeah the directions are screwy on there. You have to really work that stuff in by hand to remove anything. And letting it dry makes for really sore arms.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 04:58 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D
My whole car was swirly, so I did it on the whole car. The back of the tube says to apply it in a particular area, which I did, let it dry, which I did, and wipe it off with a 100% terry cloth towel, which I did. I did apply Maguire's NXT wax afterwards. I'm sure I did the application process properly, but the removal was a pain.

I never noticed the "let it dry" on the directions. I'll go out to the van here in a bit and see what my tube says.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 06:43 AM
Iamwaxman!

Okay, just went out and read the directions on my tube of ScratchX, and it does not say to let it dry. Maybe you have a bottle that got misprinted or something? If it dies say to "let dry", I'd call Meguiar's and let them know. They are probably going to want the tube of product that you have, but they will take care of you if it is indeed their fault.

Just for future reference, the only product you let dry on your paints surface is wax.

Nick
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 07:30 AM
Dead Stop Bobby :D

Quote:
Maybe you have a bottle that got misprinted or something? If it dies say to "let dry", I'd call Meguiar's and let them know. They are probably going to want the tube of product that you have, but they will take care of you if it is indeed their fault.

Nick
lawsuit!! or ehh.. collectors item? .. I have the scratch x and it works pretty good. i take it off pretty quick though.. Since I have 2 dark cars though, I'm in love with 3M 39009
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom

Here is what the back of the tube says verbatim.

"Wash car first to remove loose dirt and fresh contaminants. Test on small, inconspicuous area first. Apply small amount of product, evenly to a cool surface (always in the shade), using a foam applicator or soft, clean, 100% cotton terry towel. Work one section at a time and let product dry before removing excess with a separate clean, 100% cotton, terry cloth towel, turning to a clean portion for the final wipe. Do not use on unpainted vinyl or rubber surfaces. For durable high gloss, immediately follow with an application of Maguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax to enhance and protect the restored finish."

EDIT: And just to make sure we're all on the same page here. The tube is black. It says "Meguiar's" on the top of the tube (with the cap flat on my desk). Below that it says "Scratch" in all white capital letters with a big red X behind it. Right below the X it says "fine scratch and swirl remover". Below that it says that it "safely removes light scratches & swirls, oxidation & blemishes, and bonded contaminants".
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D
Here is what the back of the tube says verbatim.

"Wash car first to remove loose dirt and fresh contaminants. Test on small, inconspicuous area first. Apply small amount of product, evenly to a cool surface (always in the shade), using a foam applicator or soft, clean, 100% cotton terry towel. Work one section at a time and let product dry before removing excess with a separate clean, 100% cotton, terry cloth towel, turning to a clean portion for the final wipe. Do not use on unpainted vinyl or rubber surfaces. For durable high gloss, immediately follow with an application of Maguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax to enhance and protect the restored finish."

I'd definitely give Meguiar's a call then.

Nick
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
I'd definitely give Meguiar's a call then.

Nick

I will Monday.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 10:17 AM
No, I don't have a turbo

Just checked the Scratch X I had here as well. Same directions about letting the product dry. I had a couple of spots on my LS that needed attention, so after washing it this morning I decided to try both methods. First tried per the instructions, and the leftover haze was a major bitch to remove. Used microfiber pad to apply, microfiber towel to remove.

Second method, work it and then immediately remove, and it came off easier. Checking it a bit later, and there is a very fine faint haze that wont come off without major elbow grease.

Both applications were made in the shade on a cool car.

Any tips on removing the haze? Maybe a mist-on detailer?

Todd

Punxsutawney Jesus, Illuminati Elitist
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
Just checked the Scratch X I had here as well. Same directions about letting the product dry. I had a couple of spots on my LS that needed attention, so after washing it this morning I decided to try both methods. First tried per the instructions, and the leftover haze was a major bitch to remove. Used microfiber pad to apply, microfiber towel to remove.

Second method, work it and then immediately remove, and it came off easier. Checking it a bit later, and there is a very fine faint haze that wont come off without major elbow grease.

Both applications were made in the shade on a cool car.

Any tips on removing the haze? Maybe a mist-on detailer?

Todd

The bottle should also say to apply a wax directly afterwards. So the wax should clear up the haze. Once you use ScratchX, you are removing any traces of wax that were present before. So you should always follow up with a coat of wax.
You can try to use the mist and wipe product to remove the haze, but I'd go for the wax first......maybe a good cleaner wax?

On a side note, I have never had these problems with this product. I use it all the time to get into area's that my machines won't reach. Probably use it on 99% of the cars I detail(around mirrors, louvers, etc...).

Are either of you guys close to Grapevine? I'd like to check out the problems you're having.

Nick
214-205-1287
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom

I'm nowhere near Grapevine.

No remove the haze that I had, I got a clean microfiber towel and got the corner of it slightly damp, wiped the haze off, then went over the area with the dry side of the microfiber towel. That's the only way I could get it off without my arms catching on fire.

Nick, on one area where I left a little haze, I went back over it with the NXT wax and the haze didn't lift. That's why I made so sure to get all of the Scratch X off before I did the whole car with the NXT.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom

I talked to Mike Phillips at Meguiar's. He told me that all of the tubes now are printed so they read NOT to let the product dry. I have only had my tube since May, so it must have been changed recently.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 07:47 PM
No, I don't have a turbo

My tube is at least 2 years old..

Todd

Punxsutawney Jesus, Illuminati Elitist
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
My tube is at least 2 years old..

Todd
I didn't ask Meguiar's to be compensated for anything because I'm not a schmuck and it didn't ruin anything, but he did ask for my address and phone number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement