clay bar kit - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 104
clay bar kit

I bout the mequire's clay kit from autozone as recommended by Nick..I washed and waxed the car now i'm ready to use the clay bar, but one quick question. Once i spray the detailer on the car how hard or for how long do i need to apply the clay??
thanks for all your help guys
scottG_04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Retired race car
 
BadCompany V.P WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irving
Posts: 2,613
Make sure you apply a generous amount of lubricant to the finish, along with the bar and your hands. Knead out the bar into a flat shap and make sure not to drop it. You can cut it down into smaller sections for later use. Anyways, do not put any amount of pressure as you're running the bar over the paint. If there are contaminants, you will feel the bar pick it up. Just make to to every so often check the bar for it's dirt and knead until a clean side is shown. Repeat as neccessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan03mach
Yep, I lost big deal.. You won, you are the master..
I drug the shit outa seb about 4 years ago and it was the best thing to ever happen in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurama View Post
i blew all my money and some of my friends lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurama View Post
of yeah and guys its not hiv or anything, its the herpes
BadCompany V.P WS6 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:05 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 142
i could be wrong but i think the clay bar might remove the wax... again could be wrong
prhotrod is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 PM
We lost one.....
 
Mychael101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Red Oak TX
Posts: 6,415
Your suppossed to clay bar the vehicle before you wax it. Wash, rinse, clay, rinse, wax. time to use some dawn dishwashing detergent to strip off the wax you just put on. Then start over.
Mychael101 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Gunga galunga
 
jakesford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pimpin the West Side!! (Benbrook)
Posts: 7,544
yeah you just wasted a waxing .

"Apres moi le deluge"


jakesford is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Genetically Blessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: An Investment Bank
Posts: 13,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael101
Your suppossed to clay bar the vehicle before you wax it. Wash, rinse, clay, rinse, wax. time to use some dawn dishwashing detergent to strip off the wax you just put on. Then start over.
What he said.
slow99 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 AM
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael101
Your suppossed to clay bar the vehicle before you wax it. Wash, rinse, clay, rinse, wax. time to use some dawn dishwashing detergent to strip off the wax you just put on. Then start over.
So you're saying to wash, rinse, clay, rinse, wax......then to wash with dish washing detergent? If so, that is totally wrong. Diswashing detergents strip wax off of your car. If you wax, then wash with Dawn, then you'll have to wax again. Totally pointless.


Don't use any dish washing detergents on your car. Use a quality soap designed for cars(car wash soap). Dawn(and other dishwashing liquids) strip wax from your paints finish and dries out your rubber seals. A good quality car soap is only about $5 from Autozone.


Nick
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Retired race car
 
BadCompany V.P WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irving
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
So you're saying to wash, rinse, clay, rinse, wax......then to wash with dish washing detergent? If so, that is totally wrong. Diswashing detergents strip wax off of your car. If you wax, then wash with Dawn, then you'll have to wax again. Totally pointless.


Don't use any dish washing detergents on your car. Use a quality soap designed for cars(car wash soap). Dawn(and other dishwashing liquids) strip wax from your paints finish and dries out your rubber seals. A good quality car soap is only about $5 from Autozone.


Nick
Nick, I think you made the same mistake I did...as in not seeing he WAXED his car BEFORE doing any 'prep' work. Stripping the old wax off is a good idea to remove all the contaminants off the surface with the clay bar. I was just skimming over the post and gave my.02 with out seeing what the thread starter had done. AFTER having the sealant on, the car soap is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan03mach
Yep, I lost big deal.. You won, you are the master..
I drug the shit outa seb about 4 years ago and it was the best thing to ever happen in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurama View Post
i blew all my money and some of my friends lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurama View Post
of yeah and guys its not hiv or anything, its the herpes
BadCompany V.P WS6 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCompany V.P WS6
Nick, I think you made the same mistake I did...as in not seeing he WAXED his car BEFORE doing any 'prep' work. Stripping the old wax off is a good idea to remove all the contaminants off the surface with the clay bar. I was just skimming over the post and gave my.02 with out seeing what the thread starter had done. AFTER having the sealant on, the car soap is a must.


Ahh, I see that now
But, washing with dishwashing detergent is never a good idea. It dries out your paint, strips any protectant off of your paint and dries out any and all rubber seals that it touches. Heck, even Dawn's website says not to wash your car with their product.

Wash with a good car soap
Clay
Wax
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Retired race car
 
BadCompany V.P WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irving
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Ahh, I see that now
But, washing with dishwashing detergent is never a good idea. It dries out your paint, strips any protectant off of your paint and dries out any and all rubber seals that it touches. Heck, even Dawn's website says not to wash your car with their product.

Wash with a good car soap
Clay
Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan03mach
Yep, I lost big deal.. You won, you are the master..
I drug the shit outa seb about 4 years ago and it was the best thing to ever happen in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurama View Post
i blew all my money and some of my friends lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurama View Post
of yeah and guys its not hiv or anything, its the herpes
BadCompany V.P WS6 is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 09:39 AM
<Insert Title Here>
 
IHaveAMustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
Posts: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
So you're saying to wash, rinse, clay, rinse, wax......then to wash with dish washing detergent? If so, that is totally wrong. Diswashing detergents strip wax off of your car. If you wax, then wash with Dawn, then you'll have to wax again. Totally pointless.


Don't use any dish washing detergents on your car. Use a quality soap designed for cars(car wash soap). Dawn(and other dishwashing liquids) strip wax from your paints finish and dries out your rubber seals. A good quality car soap is only about $5 from Autozone.


Nick
lol, I thought he was joking while being "serious". Would have been pretty funny if he was pulling his chain.




IHaveAMustang is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:41 PM
We lost one.....
 
Mychael101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Red Oak TX
Posts: 6,415
Too bad many of the good car soaps say that they will not strip off wax.
Mychael101 is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 104
haha ok i think i have it under control...maybe if it ever stops raining i can get this done!
Thanks alot guys for ur input
scottG_04 is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 05:04 AM
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael101
Too bad many of the good car soaps say that they will not strip off wax.

Too bad? If that was the case, we'd have to rewax our cars after every single wash. I'd say be thankful that car wash soaps do not strip wax.
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 05:24 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom
 
D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 9,335
I use the foaming Palmolive dish washing soap before I clay to remove way. The foaming stuff seems to do the same job as normal liquid soap without being as harsh. Just my $.02 on that...of course...Nick already knows about me and dish soap.
D is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 05:49 AM
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Yes, but I am going to try and talk you out of using it anyytime I can
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 03:28 PM
We lost one.....
 
Mychael101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Red Oak TX
Posts: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Too bad? If that was the case, we'd have to rewax our cars after every single wash. I'd say be thankful that car wash soaps do not strip wax.
I was only speaking for his specific case. When you say something on here people listen and if he went out and got a decent car soap it wouldn't help his situation. Sucks that he has to start fresh but when you want it right its never as easy as you think. Now he knows what needs to be done and how to do it.
Mychael101 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome