clay bar kit - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

clay bar kit

I bout the mequire's clay kit from autozone as recommended by Nick..I washed and waxed the car now i'm ready to use the clay bar, but one quick question. Once i spray the detailer on the car how hard or for how long do i need to apply the clay??
thanks for all your help guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Retired race car

Make sure you apply a generous amount of lubricant to the finish, along with the bar and your hands. Knead out the bar into a flat shap and make sure not to drop it. You can cut it down into smaller sections for later use. Anyways, do not put any amount of pressure as you're running the bar over the paint. If there are contaminants, you will feel the bar pick it up. Just make to to every so often check the bar for it's dirt and knead until a clean side is shown. Repeat as neccessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan03mach
Yep, I lost big deal.. You won, you are the master..
I drug the shit outa seb about 4 years ago and it was the best thing to ever happen in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurama View Post
i blew all my money and some of my friends lol.
Quote:
of yeah and guys its not hiv or anything, its the herpes
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:05 PM

i could be wrong but i think the clay bar might remove the wax... again could be wrong

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 PM
We lost one.....

Your suppossed to clay bar the vehicle before you wax it. Wash, rinse, clay, rinse, wax. time to use some dawn dishwashing detergent to strip off the wax you just put on. Then start over.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Gunga galunga

yeah you just wasted a waxing .

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael101
Your suppossed to clay bar the vehicle before you wax it. Wash, rinse, clay, rinse, wax. time to use some dawn dishwashing detergent to strip off the wax you just put on. Then start over.
What he said.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
So you're saying to wash, rinse, clay, rinse, wax......then to wash with dish washing detergent? If so, that is totally wrong. Diswashing detergents strip wax off of your car. If you wax, then wash with Dawn, then you'll have to wax again. Totally pointless.

Don't use any dish washing detergents on your car. Use a quality soap designed for cars(car wash soap). Dawn(and other dishwashing liquids) strip wax from your paints finish and dries out your rubber seals. A good quality car soap is only about $5 from Autozone.

Nick
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Retired race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
So you're saying to wash, rinse, clay, rinse, wax......then to wash with dish washing detergent? If so, that is totally wrong. Diswashing detergents strip wax off of your car. If you wax, then wash with Dawn, then you'll have to wax again. Totally pointless.

Don't use any dish washing detergents on your car. Use a quality soap designed for cars(car wash soap). Dawn(and other dishwashing liquids) strip wax from your paints finish and dries out your rubber seals. A good quality car soap is only about $5 from Autozone.

Nick
Nick, I think you made the same mistake I did...as in not seeing he WAXED his car BEFORE doing any 'prep' work. Stripping the old wax off is a good idea to remove all the contaminants off the surface with the clay bar. I was just skimming over the post and gave my.02 with out seeing what the thread starter had done. AFTER having the sealant on, the car soap is a must.

Quote:
I drug the shit outa seb about 4 years ago and it was the best thing to ever happen in my life.

Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCompany V.P WS6
Nick, I think you made the same mistake I did...as in not seeing he WAXED his car BEFORE doing any 'prep' work. Stripping the old wax off is a good idea to remove all the contaminants off the surface with the clay bar. I was just skimming over the post and gave my.02 with out seeing what the thread starter had done. AFTER having the sealant on, the car soap is a must.

Ahh, I see that now
But, washing with dishwashing detergent is never a good idea. It dries out your paint, strips any protectant off of your paint and dries out any and all rubber seals that it touches. Heck, even Dawn's website says not to wash your car with their product.

Wash with a good car soap
Clay
Wax
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Retired race car

Quote:
Ahh, I see that now
But, washing with dishwashing detergent is never a good idea. It dries out your paint, strips any protectant off of your paint and dries out any and all rubber seals that it touches. Heck, even Dawn's website says not to wash your car with their product.

Wash with a good car soap
Clay
Wax

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 09:39 AM
<Insert Title Here>

Quote:

Nick
lol, I thought he was joking while being "serious". Would have been pretty funny if he was pulling his chain.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:41 PM
We lost one.....

Too bad many of the good car soaps say that they will not strip off wax.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

haha ok i think i have it under control...maybe if it ever stops raining i can get this done!
Thanks alot guys for ur input
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 05:04 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Too bad many of the good car soaps say that they will not strip off wax.

Too bad? If that was the case, we'd have to rewax our cars after every single wash. I'd say be thankful that car wash soaps do not strip wax.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 05:24 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

I use the foaming Palmolive dish washing soap before I clay to remove way. The foaming stuff seems to do the same job as normal liquid soap without being as harsh. Just my $.02 on that...of course...Nick already knows about me and dish soap.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 05:49 AM
Iamwaxman!

Yes, but I am going to try and talk you out of using it anyytime I can
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 03:28 PM
We lost one.....

Quote:
Too bad? If that was the case, we'd have to rewax our cars after every single wash. I'd say be thankful that car wash soaps do not strip wax.
I was only speaking for his specific case. When you say something on here people listen and if he went out and got a decent car soap it wouldn't help his situation. Sucks that he has to start fresh but when you want it right its never as easy as you think. Now he knows what needs to be done and how to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement