Disrespectful or no? - DFWstangs Forums
View Poll Results: Is it disrespectful to approach someone about thier paint?
Yes it's disrespectful 3 8.57%
No it's not disrespectful 32 91.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Disrespectful or no?

Now that the car show season is upon us, there are gonna be some sweet rides to go check out. Unfortunately, a lot of them are swirled and scratch all to hell and back.

I've contemplated several times to go to these shows to round up some show cars to work on, but I thought it would be disrespectful to tell someone that thier car was great looking, but could look better. Of course in all in the approach, but in the end the message is still the same.

Do you think it would be disrespectful for me to do this? Whats your opinion?

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Pushed to the limit

A better way would be to have some cars that you have done at the show with your business cards nearby or a plaque that describes your services. Nobody wants to hear that their car could look better. Their brain translates it to their car looks like crap.

Buying dogs kills.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Thats kind of what I was thinking. But I also don't want to fork the cash out to have a booth up there, take the time off of my full time job to be there, etc...

I was going to go up to Autorama, but decided against it. Thought it would piss somebody off more than attract new business.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 11:01 AM
look at em go

best advertising there is going to be word of mouth. Or do something like paul did and build a busa.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 08:57 PM
I Brake (For) Bitches

you provide a service. either they will be interested, or they wont. a lot of other companies approach people with their services so i dont see why yours would be any different.

Who needs please when we've got guns?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 10:51 PM
NOT AFGHANISTAN ANYMORE!!

I think as long as you aproach the person in the correct maner they should be ok with it. Of course you are going to run accross the occational ass that has a closed mind and will get pissed, but for the most part I think you would be ok.

JMO

Dallas news reports Tony Romo tried to commit suicide last night!

Fortunately he dropped the gun and the bullet was intercepted!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

I thnk if you advertise yourself by saying "hey I do detailing and paint resto if you ever need some work done" instead of saying "hey your paint is swirled to hell, you could really use my services" I think you will be fine.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
I thnk if you advertise yourself by saying "hey I do detailing and paint resto if you ever need some work done" instead of saying "hey your paint is swirled to hell, you could really use my services" I think you will be fine.
x2 and take a lot of high res before and after pics to show your awesome work!!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

I think if you set up a booth, people would come to it. Chances are, if people have a show-quality car, or know what it takes to make their car look good, and it looks like shit, they either don't have the time or don't have the know how to make it look good.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Sticky Side Down

you can do it right... dont bad mouth their car, just offer there services and maybe point out some little things you could help with if they seem interested.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Lifer

Hit the shows with a nice sign,a talble, and a few cars that you have worked on. I think that will sell itself. Talk to some of the local show promoters and I bet for a small fee you can get a booth at their shows. If you need help with this and a car to have in your booth you know I am game. Me and ShelbysCA hit a bunch of the local shows, so we would be there anyways.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Packin' up...

Take some products with you to the show... do a lil test on their car if they would like you to
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 11:28 AM

Just compliment their cars for a little while before you bring up what you do and you should be fine. Everybody likes getting a big head, act interested
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Out

Just stand in front of their car with that "Did you just fart?" look on your face until they ask what is wrong.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 03:03 AM
Which one's the clutch?

just offer a few of the contestants free detailing if they hand out your cards at shows and what not..

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 03:55 AM

I would drop a card off in all the cars u see...People did that to me when I had the cobra in a show...I had all kinds of cards and flyers in my seat when I got ready to go...that way nothing is said, you are just offering your services
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blackstang
I would drop a card off in all the cars u see...People did that to me when I had the cobra in a show...I had all kinds of cards and flyers in my seat when I got ready to go...that way nothing is said, you are just offering your services
Wow. Does your car need that much work?

Nick, I would just do the "your car looks great, if you ever need some detail or swirl removal, here's my card".
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 06:54 AM

Good Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blackstang
Nick helped me detail my Mustang at Autorama (he did 99% of the work while I coached him...ha). The guys in and around my car asked about him and I gave them his phone #.... The guy does dang good work! I agree with 96blackstang about dropping a flyer or business card stating they you do car show prep. You can also state that you do paint prep with attention to swirl removal. If I had a detailing business, I would set up a table at the local car shows with a price listing. I know that there have been guys that have arrived a little late and worked like a dog to prep their car for the show....even during the show. Nick could step in and do these guys a great service.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

All good sugestions guys. I'm taking notes
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 06:41 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

I'd just start out talking to them about how sweet their ride is . . . and then bring up the swirls and offer your services.

It's kinda like telling your girlfriend that she might think of getting implants.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 03:29 AM
Thread Kill

If you're looking to get business from unknowns I'd put together a portfolio of sorts and get business cards made myself. I mean how many of the guys in car shows do you think do all the pre-show prep themselves anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement