How to use buffer - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

How to use buffer

I got an electric buffer for xmas an i've never used one before. it came with a foam pad and a cloth one. do most people apply the wax by hand then take off with the cloth wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 08:09 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark
I got an electric buffer for xmas an i've never used one before. it came with a foam pad and a cloth one. do most people apply the wax by hand then take off with the cloth wheel

Is this a rotary buffer? Can you post a pic or a model #?

Makes a fifference on how you use it.

Nick
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Time Served

i got the exact same question... its a Vector 10" Waxxpro

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

its and orbital... it came with a cotton pad and it seems soft but should i use it?? i was gonna just go buy a new meguires one but i didnt think they sold 10" ones... also i dont know how the hell to use it like this other guy

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
IGOSLO

you can take a buffing class/course, if not just make sure you run it at a low speed, and make damn sure you do NOT burn your clearcoat (by having it turned up to high)..........
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin
you can take a buffing class/course, if not just make sure you run it at a low speed, and make damn sure you do NOT burn your clearcoat (by having it turned up to high)..........
hhmm.. there is no variable speed button??... On/Off! lol
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Is this a rotary buffer? Can you post a pic or a model #?

Makes a fifference on how you use it.

Nick

Thanks for the response, I was hoping you'd post up in here... I'm very new to this and to tell you the truth i've never really taken care of a car's paint like I should.

This is what I have:
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Pilgrim

You will want to clay bar the car before using the buffer or you will swirl the paint.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Custom Title

If they have just one setting, like on or off, you won't burn the clear coat, they do not spin fast enough.

Wash the car first, claybar if necessary (probably is necessary), apply wax, remove with a white cotton terry cloth, then buff it with the buffer. If you have a spray like Zaino, you can use it afterwards to buff it to a nice clean shine!

Depending on what wax you use, the small area that one cloth will provide is not enough to remove a car's worth of wax, that is why I say use a terry cloth to remove the wax first.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Founding Member

I have a nice dewalt buffer but I am to scared to use it. I feel I would do way more harm than good.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleSharp
i got the exact same question... its a Vector 10" Waxxpro

its and orbital... it came with a cotton pad and it seems soft but should i use it?? i was gonna just go buy a new meguires one but i didnt think they sold 10" ones... also i dont know how the hell to use it like this other guy
I have one just like that. Just wash your car, wax it with wax of your choice and use the cloth pad to tak the wax off. that "polisher" you have wont burn the paint or leave swirl marks. I Did paint and body work for 7 years.

Those things are real nice for waxing your car. Also, once you're done taking the wax off.......go around the whole car with a cotton cloth to get the spots that the polisher wouldnt get to.

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstang1
I have one just like that. Just wash your car, wax it with wax of your choice and use the cloth pad to tak the wax off. that "polisher" you have wont burn the paint or leave swirl marks. I Did paint and body work for 7 years.

Those things are real nice for waxing your car. Also, once you're done taking the wax off.......go around the whole car with a cotton cloth to get the spots that the polisher wouldnt get to.
awsome! thanks! as far as swirl removal, should i use an abrasive scratch remover and apply it with the buffer? or do u apply by hand and buff with the buffer?
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

Quote:
awsome! thanks! as far as swirl removal, should i use an abrasive scratch remover and apply it with the buffer? or do u apply by hand and buff with the buffer?
So yuor car currently has swirl marks in it? I f so, I would wax it real good IE put some real elbow grease into it and your the polisher to take it off. If that doesn't get the swirl marks out then the car will need a buffer with a foam pad and some finesse will probably do it. But you will need someone who kows what they are doing. A buffer is a whole other ball game from a polisher. You ruin a paint jkob real quick.

post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Custom Title

Time for some Zaino swirl remover!

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 05:13 AM
Iamwaxman!

Neither one of those machines have the power to remove swirls. Do not use anything abrasive with those machines. They are good for applying and removing wax. Thats all, nothing else. Some of them come with a foam pad, and also a microfiber bonnet. Use the foam pad to apply the wax, then slip the bonnet over the foam pad and remove the wax.
An abrasive compound needs the rotating power of a rotary buffer to work correctly. If you use an abrasive compound with either of these machines, you could instill scratches and swirls and not be able to get them out.

If you have swirls, you are going to need something a little more powerful to get them out.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades
Time for some Zaino swirl remover!
That shit sucks....Much better products/procedures for removing swirls..
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Neither one of those machines have the power to remove swirls. Do not use anything abrasive with those machines. They are good for applying and removing wax. Thats all, nothing else. Some of them come with a foam pad, and also a microfiber bonnet. Use the foam pad to apply the wax, then slip the bonnet over the foam pad and remove the wax.
An abrasive compound needs the rotating power of a rotary buffer to work correctly. If you use an abrasive compound with either of these machines, you could instill scratches and swirls and not be able to get them out.

If you have swirls, you are going to need something a little more powerful to get them out.
wow so you can use the bare foam to apply the way???... seems kinda harsh to me. like the grey/black part? do you clean the pad afterwards or no?
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 05:03 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
wow so you can use the bare foam to apply the way???... seems kinda harsh to me. like the grey/black part? do you clean the pad afterwards or no?

Depends on what they gave you really. Nobody ships the same foam pads as the other guy. Some foam pads are too harsh, and others are just right. To play it safe(if your unsure), buy some more bonnets and apply your wax with one bonnet and remove it with another bonnet. Without seeing it I'm not gonna tell you to put that foam pad on your car.

Nick
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Depends on what they gave you really. Nobody ships the same foam pads as the other guy. Some foam pads are too harsh, and others are just right. To play it safe(if your unsure), buy some more bonnets and apply your wax with one bonnet and remove it with another bonnet. Without seeing it I'm not gonna tell you to put that foam pad on your car.

Nick
Dude you an f'n moron when it comes to detailing! jesus christ how in the hell do you actually "OWN" a detailing and paint polishing shop! lmao!

Dude anything will burn the paint on a car! it doesn't matter if it's a foam pad, wool pad, cloth pad whatever! if the surface your working is getting to hot the clear coat will burn! keep the buffer or waxer/polisher moving dont keep it in one f'n spot! If you wanna get swirls out! You dont need a badass buffer to get it out!

Take some 3000 sand paper and wet sand the entire car! then take a waxer/polisher , or orbital buffer and buff away scrathes will come out easy!

the best way to make a car shine! is to sand the car! if you really want the car to look good then all you do is take some 1200/1500 grit DA paper or wet paper, when the surface starts to look less orange peely then your good, make sure you dont sand through the damn clear coat! (If you dont know what your doing? DONT DO IT) you will be buying yourself a new paint job! anyways after that 3000 the entire car! buff the entire car with an abrasive compound and wool pad! then take some finishing glaze and a foam pad! and yes you'll need a orbital buffer for this! this ususally takes about 3 hrs to do an entire car! for someone that doesnt know what there doing it'll prob take a full day or two! lol

And btw! someone who doesnt sand to actually get a car looking real good! doesnt know what the fuck they are doing! If you wanna sit there and say you do by using just a f'n buffer to get scrathes and swirls out! Then you are a complete fucking idiot! the best way is sanding and buffing!

and n737nc here that thinks vipers use a special kind of clear coat then any other car's out there on the road cause "vipers paint is real hard" so it took him awhile to detail and fish the car!

DUDE FOR FUCKS SAKE! 15 HRS! ON A VIPER?!?! ITS NOT A FUCKING LIMO HUMMER! HOLY SHIT! The damn car is not big at all and what fuck u gotta clean inside? a dash? two floor boards? two seats? 3000 the entire car, 1500/2000 wet if you have to? buff, goddamn 2 - 3 hrs total!

You are a TOOL MY FRIEND! A TOOL! lol

Last edited by Shizzzzle; 01-03-2007 at 04:36 AM.
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzzzle
Dude you an f'n moron when it comes to detailing! jesus christ how in the hell do you actually "OWN" a detailing and paint polishing shop! lmao!
I think my work speaks for itself.

Quote:
Dude anything will burn the paint on a car! it doesn't matter if it's a foam pad, wool pad, cloth pad whatever! if the surface your working is getting to hot the clear coat will burn! keep the buffer or waxer/polisher moving dont keep it in one f'n spot! If you wanna get swirls out! You dont need a badass buffer to get it out!
Yes, this is true. Where do you see that I have said anything otherwise? He was talking about applying wax with a $25 random orbital polisher. He wasn't sure how to use it. There are a lot of foam pads that are entirely to harsh to use to apply a wax(and your calling me the moron?). I simply suggested that he get another bonnet, and use that to apply the wax, then use another bonnet to remove the wax.

Quote:
Take some 3000 sand paper and wet sand the entire car! then take a waxer/polisher , or orbital buffer and buff away scrathes will come out easy!

the best way to make a car shine! is to sand the car! if you really want the car to look good then all you do is take some 1200/1500 grit DA paper or wet paper, when the surface starts to look less orange peely then your good, make sure you dont sand through the damn clear coat! (If you dont know what your doing? DONT DO IT) you will be buying yourself a new paint job! anyways after that 3000 the entire car! buff the entire car with an abrasive compound and wool pad! then take some finishing glaze and a foam pad! and yes you'll need a orbital buffer for this! this ususally takes about 3 hrs to do an entire car! for someone that doesnt know what there doing it'll prob take a full day or two! lol
This guy is asking for advice on how to use a random orbital polisher, and your telling him to wet sand his car? OMFG! That right there is some funny shit! If anybody reading this doesn't know how to use a random orbital polisher, please do not take a piece of sandpaper to your car!

Quote:
And btw! someone who doesnt sand to actually get a car looking real good! doesnt know what the fuck they are doing! If you wanna sit there and say you do by using just a f'n buffer to get scrathes and swirls out! Then you are a complete fucking idiot! the best way is sanding and buffing!
Are you serious? I mean, come on dude! That is the absolute harshest thing you can do to a cars paint! I perfer my method, least aggressive product/tool to get the job done.

Quote:
and n737nc here that thinks vipers use a special kind of clear coat then any other car's out there on the road cause "vipers paint is real hard" so it took him awhile to detail and fish the car!
Every paint is different. Some clear coats are hard, and others are not so hard. I never said that Viper's have a special kind of paint. Although, this Viper did have a repaint done to half of the car, and the clear coat on the repaint was extremely harder that the half that was still factory clear.

Quote:
DUDE FOR FUCKS SAKE! 15 HRS! ON A VIPER?!?! ITS NOT A FUCKING LIMO HUMMER! HOLY SHIT! The damn car is not big at all and what fuck u gotta clean inside? a dash? two floor boards? two seats? 3000 the entire car, 1500/2000 wet if you have to? buff, goddamn 2 - 3 hrs total!
If you feel like rushing your jobs, then more power to you. LIKE I'VE SAID BEFORE! I love what I do, and I would rather take my time getting the car done than to rush the job. This isn't a full time gig for me, I do it because I love to do it. You on the other hand are obviously about quantity, I am about QUALITY!

Quote:
You are a TOOL MY FRIEND! A TOOL! lol
Your telling people to wet sand their car when they don't even know how to use a $25 polisher, and I'm the tool? Dude, you have done nothing but attack me and I'm sick of it. I have never given anyone bad advice. I have only given safe advice. If someone comes on here asking for instructions on how to use a $25 random orbital polisher, then I am not going to tell them to wet sand their car. Maybe thats your idea of good advice, but not mine. That would be like someone asking about how to change their oil, and you telling them to swap motors!

Why does it matter to you if I spend 2 hours or 30 hours on a car? How does this effect you? The only thing you are doing is trying to attack me, and ruin my business here on this board, and I'm sick of it! You give bad advice, and treat people like they are idiots. If you can do it better and faster, then please, start advertising, and take my business away from me. People see my work, and they love what I do for their cars. As I've said before, if you want your car finished in 2-3 hours, I am not the one for you!

Last edited by Nick Chapman; 01-03-2007 at 08:26 AM.
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Here you say that a $25 orbital polisher will remove sanding marks

Quote:
And here you say that you will need a rotarty buffer with a wool pad and an abrasive compound to remove sanding marks? Well, which is it? Random orbital polisher from Wal-Mart for $25 or a $250 rotary buffer with a wool pad?

And your telling me that you can take a car in, wet sand the entire car, buff it out to a pristine finish, wax, clean the interior and have it back to your customer in 2-3 hours, then you must be a freaking amazing man! Please let me know the next time you have a car come in because I want to see this!

Last edited by Nick Chapman; 01-03-2007 at 08:23 AM.
post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Wow, shizzzle couldnt be more of a fucking douche.

Where the fuck did all the detailer rage come from?

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Full tilt boogie !!

Quote:

hahaha....that some funny ass shit right there, that won't take anytime to get those scratches out with an orbital polisher and wax......lol. Are you serious? What shop do you work at? I wanna stay away!!!! BTW, you gotta be a dumb motherfucker to burn a paint job with a polisher and wax......lmao

And to Skidmark, just take Nick's advice....he knows what he is talking about. I would be reluctant to wet sand any car if I didnt know for sure how much clear coat was on it.

Gotta love Dfwstangs.

post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstang1
hahaha....that some funny ass shit right there, that won't take anytime to get those scratches out with an orbital polisher and wax......lol. Are you serious? What shop do you work at? I wanna stay away!!!! BTW, you gotta be a dumb motherfucker to burn a paint job with a polisher and wax......lmao

And to Skidmark, just take Nick's advice....he knows what he is talking about. I would be reluctant to wet sand any car if I didnt know for sure how much clear coat was on it.

Gotta love Dfwstangs.
Oh trust me, I would take Nick's word over this newbs anyday of the week.
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Rebuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooterWS6
Wow, shizzzle couldnt be more of a fucking douche.
Agreed!

89 Mustang Coupe
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Time Served

lol shizzle thanks for tying to help in your own little asshole way but next time how about you dont attack one of the most respected people on this board... i've seen what nicks done to my brothers mustang and his wifes SUV and it is plain and simply AMAZING. period. who cares if it takes him 2 hours to sand blast and or 2 days to piss the swirls off... he does great work and is very fairly priced.

its jack ass's like this that ruin boards all together... you can critic ppl and say your own opinions without being a total prick. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE NICK i'll be callin you to spend 6 "pointless" hours on my dads truck soon... he used the do it yourself wash alot
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
lol shizzle thanks for tying to help in your own little asshole way but next time how about you dont attack one of the most respected people on this board... i've seen what nicks done to my brothers mustang and his wifes SUV and it is plain and simply AMAZING. period. who cares if it takes him 2 hours to sand blast and or 2 days to piss the swirls off... he does great work and is very fairly priced.

its jack ass's like this that ruin boards all together... you can critic ppl and say your own opinions without being a total prick. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE NICK i'll be callin you to spend 6 "pointless" hours on my dads truck soon... he used the do it yourself wash alot

simply amazing? well i sure do fucking hope so if it takes him 2 fucking days to work on a car.
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Oh trust me, I would take Nick's word over this newbs anyday of the week.
newb? yeah thats why ive been in the business for alot longer then nick has because i dont know what the fuck im talking about.
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Here you say that a $25 orbital polisher will remove sanding marks

And here you say that you will need a rotarty buffer with a wool pad and an abrasive compound to remove sanding marks? Well, which is it? Random orbital polisher from Wal-Mart for $25 or a $250 rotary buffer with a wool pad?

And your telling me that you can take a car in, wet sand the entire car, buff it out to a pristine finish, wax, clean the interior and have it back to your customer in 2-3 hours, then you must be a freaking amazing man! Please let me know the next time you have a car come in because I want to see this!

again here's my point if you knew any goddamn thing.

3000 scratches are not that heavy of scratchs, a fucking foam pad can take out fucking 3000 scratches

now for 1000/1200/1500/2000 scratches, yeah you'll gonna need a fucking wool pad and some abrasive compound to get the scratchs out!

plz, stfu! and listen .. u might actually learn something and make your job alot easier
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 06:59 PM
IGOSLO

YOU SIR ARE A MORON.....GO LEARN HOW TO WORK ON PAINT BEFORE YOU GO ON A RANT ABOUT HOW IGNORANT YOU REALLY ARE..... and you dont just take sandpaper to clearcoat, my buddy and i have a paint and body shop, as a hobby. you wetsand clearcoat with anything between 1200-2000, and then buff.

Quote:

3000 scratches are not that heavy of scratchs, a fucking foam pad can take out fucking 3000 scratches

now for 1000/1200/1500/2000 scratches, yeah you'll gonna need a fucking wool pad and some abrasive compound to get the scratchs out!

plz, stfu! and listen .. u might actually learn something and make your job alot easier
post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:04 PM
IGOSLO

Oh and BTW, it is not gonna be the foam pad that removes the scratches........it would be the polishing/finishing compound.........the buffer just makes it easier on you because way back when they used to do this shit by hand.

you go ahead and start scratching the shit out of your clearcoat, then user a foam pad , and after you are done i will spray a few more coats on after you f**k it up
Quote:

post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin
YOU SIR ARE A MORON.....GO LEARN HOW TO WORK ON PAINT BEFORE YOU GO ON A RANT ABOUT HOW IGNORANT YOU REALLY ARE..... and you dont just take sandpaper to clearcoat, my buddy and i have a paint and body shop, as a hobby. you wetsand clearcoat with anything between 1200-2000, and then buff.
is that not what ive been saying this entire thread dipshit? maybe you should go back and read my fucking postings.

and no dipshit i didnt mean just use a mother fucking foam pad!

I was saying if you "JUST" 3000 the goddamn car to get swirls out, it doesnt make deep fucking scrathes like 1200 - 2000 does..

but whatever, everyone is fucking everything i say up, cause obvisouly nobody can read!
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Iamwaxman!

Shizzzzle,

Why don't you try and calm down a little and explain what your saying. So far your responses have been totally idiotic, and you are only making yourself look like a total moron.

Maybe you do know what your doing when it comes to paint and body work, but you aren't showing it in here. I'm always up to learn something new from someone that knows more than me, and if you can get 3000 wet sanding out with a $25 orbital polisher and can wet sand and finsh a car in 2-3 hours, then you must be the king of paint and body! And I'd love to hear and see how you do this.

I don't know why you've taken such an aggressive route with me, but ever since your first post to me, you have been nothing but negative and totally aggressive. I am trying to run a business here, and you are trying your best to ruin it. Have you seen my work? No! Have we ever met? No! Do you know absolutely anything about me? No! STOP TRYING TO RUIN MY BUSINESS!!!

Why in the world does it matter at all to you if I spend 15 hours on a car? I've asked that question several times in several posts, and you have yet to respond. Why does it matter to you? I'm obviously not working on your car, and I'm not working for you. Let it go dude! Just let it go! If I want to take my time and not rush things, then thats my choice and my customers do not mind at all. It's my wasted time.

So, I'm kindly asking you to back off, and stay off my post unless you have something POSITIVE to contribute! These people are asking for advice, and you are being a dick! Just chill out and try to give people good, positive advice.
post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
newb? yeah thats why ive been in the business for alot longer then nick has because i dont know what the fuck im talking about.

What's your business name?
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Quote:
What's your business name?
Like hell have the balls to post it up after he was trying to ruin someone elses name

We should all bow down to his infinite wisdom of paint and body, truely a master, shit, just because he says so, thats reason enough for me....

Nick, good post, I dont know you personally, but at least youre keeping in professional, unlike this shizzzle dillhole.

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Full tilt boogie !!

Thumbs up

Lmao!!!!!!!!

post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:

Dude, please read and understand my post before you comment. No where in there does it say anything about not being able to remove sanding marks with a foam pad. I use foam pad religously! I love what they do! What it does say is you have made a statement that a $25 random orbital polisher can remove 3000 grit sanding marks(and that I would love to see you preform this). Then you say that it will take a rotary buffer with a wool pad to remove the same 3000 grit sanding marks. I asked you which one is it? A random orbital polisher or a rotary buffer with a wool pad?

You've made countless statements, and we've all asked for you to clarify a little more, and you don't. Just chill out a little and answer the questions. I for one would love to know how you remove 3000 grit sanding marks with a random orbital polisher. Heck, that would've saved me a few bucks on my rotary that I obviously don't need if I use your methods.
You've also made a statement that you can wet sand an entire car, buff it out to perfection, and clean the interior in 2-3 hours. This seems pretty imposible to me, but I want to see you do this. I am asking you to show me, teach me! Again, you have no comment.

You've made several responses that you've been in this business longer than I have, so how long have you been doing this? I know I've got 15 years in the detailing and paint polishing, what about you? And please give us the name of your shop. That may help to show that you know what your talking about. Give yourself some crediblity.

These(among others) are questions that we've all asked and you have refused to answer. The only thing that you've done is to come on here and attack people like you are the God of paint polishing, buffing, detailing and that everyone is beneath you.

If you would like, please PM me or call me with the name and address of your shop. I would love to sit down with you and have you show me your methods. If for nothing else, just a few hours. I'm not asking you to give up any secrets. Just from one proffesional to another. I would love to know how to do the things that you come on here and say that you can do.

Thanks!
Nick
214-205-1287
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Dude, please read and understand my post before you comment. No where in there does it say anything about not being able to remove sanding marks with a foam pad. I use foam pad religously! I love what they do! What it does say is you have made a statement that a $25 random orbital polisher can remove 3000 grit sanding marks(and that I would love to see you preform this). Then you say that it will take a rotary buffer with a wool pad to remove the same 3000 grit sanding marks. I asked you which one is it? A random orbital polisher or a rotary buffer with a wool pad?

You've made countless statements, and we've all asked for you to clarify a little more, and you don't. Just chill out a little and answer the questions. I for one would love to know how you remove 3000 grit sanding marks with a random orbital polisher. Heck, that would've saved me a few bucks on my rotary that I obviously don't need if I use your methods.
You've also made a statement that you can wet sand an entire car, buff it out to perfection, and clean the interior in 2-3 hours. This seems pretty imposible to me, but I want to see you do this. I am asking you to show me, teach me! Again, you have no comment.

You've made several responses that you've been in this business longer than I have, so how long have you been doing this? I know I've got 15 years in the detailing and paint polishing, what about you? And please give us the name of your shop. That may help to show that you know what your talking about. Give yourself some crediblity.

These(among others) are questions that we've all asked and you have refused to answer. The only thing that you've done is to come on here and attack people like you are the God of paint polishing, buffing, detailing and that everyone is beneath you.

If you would like, please PM me or call me with the name and address of your shop. I would love to sit down with you and have you show me your methods. If for nothing else, just a few hours. I'm not asking you to give up any secrets. Just from one proffesional to another. I would love to know how to do the things that you come on here and say that you can do.

Thanks!
Nick
214-205-1287
nicely put
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Racist....that means you!

Very classy, Nick.
post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Very classy, Nick.
just the fact that Nick has been the only one to show the quality of the work on here speaks for its self... And if i were a customer I would be much happier if there were 15hrs spent on my car over 3...

Keep up the good work.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Lifer

Shizzle just has sand in his pussy and gets irritated if he sits for to long.

Your work speaks for itself nick. Don't listen to this douche nor waste your time replying to him.
post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Lifer

LOL @ you guys...I'm guessing some of you guys are pretty new to paint correction..I've done WAYYYYYYYYYY more buffing/paint correction than anyone on this site...You guys must be stuck in the 1980's with your wool pads!

Wool pads are obsolete and should generally never be used anymore, including very old paint(including single stage)...3M's Perfect-it white waffle foam cutting pad perfect supercedes their wool pad(other brands make an equivelent heavier cut foam)..It will safely cut 1000 grit scratches when coupled with a good cutting compound like 3M's perfect-it 3000 rubbing compund...Unlike the wool, the white foam cuts super fast, but leaves almost no swirl to clean up after use...This speeds up the later steps polishing/glazing dramatically..
After the inital cutting passes with the white foam there are numerous pad/compound options for polishing/glazing..Too numerous to mention here...3M makes a good black foam polishing pad(similair to thier white) that is medium/light cut, and is suitable for either polishing or glazing.. For darker colors, A "finishing" pad should be used with a rotory buffer or DA polisher to cut/fill in any final very light swirls that may show in very bright sunlight..Use product that contains silicone with it like auto magic's "awesome gloss" or "BC-2"...Good lighting is important in this step..

I almost never have to resort using any sandpaper to remove any "swirls", or even very deep scratches on a later model car with a factory finish...I did a wetsand and buff on a black 06 Z06 recently(to remove some factory peel and all around slick-out) and only used 2000 grit, and it turned out pretty nice and didnt burn through anywhere...I've only done it on many other cars with original paint with success...Since I work on mostly on classic cars, the paint finish can't have any peel, or any other imperfection, so then I use 1000(by hand or DA), which is the roughest recomended for safe buffing, then follwoed by 2000 grit, then buff, etc...
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 06:28 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT12NV-420
LOL @ you guys...I'm guessing some of you guys are pretty new to paint correction..I've done WAYYYYYYYYYY more buffing/paint correction than anyone on this site...You guys must be stuck in the 1980's with your wool pads!

Great! Another one!

Never have I said that wool pads are great, or anything even close to that. Wool pads have their place, but nowadays they are few and far between. Like I said earlier, I use foam pads religously!! I think I may have used wool, maybe 3 times in the past 5-6 years. Shizzzle is the one that keeps bringing up wool, and I've only been asking him to clarify his statements.

You know guys, all I am trying to do here is advertise my business. And here recently, I've done nothing but defend myself. This is getting old!
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Great! Another one!

Never have I said that wool pads are great, or anything even close to that. Wool pads have their place, but nowadays they are few and far between. Like I said earlier, I use foam pads religously!! I think I may have used wool, maybe 3 times in the past 5-6 years. Shizzzle is the one that keeps bringing up wool, and I've only been asking him to clarify his statements.

You know guys, all I am trying to do here is advertise my business. And here recently, I've done nothing but defend myself. This is getting old!
You don' have to defend shit. Your work looks great and you have happy customers. End of story.
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Lifer

For anyone that wants a great looking paint finish with minimal effort, do yourself a favor and purchase a Porter Cable DA random orbit polisher. It is nearly impossible to damage your clearcoat with this machine and coupled with the correct Foam Pads / Product will provide spectacular results. I am guessing that this is the same method used by n737nc.

I bought my black Mach1 brand new from the dealer I used to work at out in California 6 months after it sat on the lot getting washed every single day by the lot porters. Needless to say the paint finish was already swirled up beyond belief. I then in a moment of thoughtlessness took the car through a drive through car wash and made it even worse. Then I tried to use off the shelf products at the local parts store and got zero results. So I started searching online and found that most people recommended using the Porter cable with the foam pads to remove swirls.

I personally use Poorboy's world products and am extremely impressed with the results.

Not the best close up pictures but you get the idea.

Start off by washing the car and then claybar the entire surface

Poorboy's SSR 2.5 with an orange cutting foam pad will remove just about any deep swirl mark on the car. Then you can follow that up with SSR 2.5 on a finishing pad to clean it up. Then use a high quality polish (I use their blue polish) and finish it up with their EX to seal it. Then top it off with the Natty's Blue paste wax applied by hand and you'll have a beautiful finish!

The most important thing to maintaining your finish is to be careful when washing the vehicle inbetween detailing. Use a high quality washing mitt and keep two seperate buckets to wash the vehicle. 1 with the soap and the other to rinse the mitt out before resoaking it in the soap. Drying off the vehicle it is important to use a clean microfiber waffle weave drying towel.

Here's Poorboys website

PoorBoys

The model Porter Cable I bought is the 7424 but you can usually find package deals that are cheaper if you buy the polisher / pad kit together. Usually about $150.00 will get you a real nice set-up with all the foam pads you'd need. Then about $100.00 worth of product should last you at least 5-10 full details.

Well worth it if you want to maintain your paint finish and keep it looking sharp!

Adam
post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

fuck all the clowns on here nick. Dont sweat it, just move on. Help people when you can, you cant win them all. As long as you keep up quality work, people will call you.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
You don' have to defend shit. Your work looks great and you have happy customers. End of story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
fuck all the clowns on here nick. Dont sweat it, just move on. Help people when you can, you cant win them all. As long as you keep up quality work, people will call you.

Thanks guys. It just gets frustrating having people nit pick me about my work or about how I do things. End result is what counts, happy customer with a beautiful car!
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Nut
For anyone that wants a great looking paint finish with minimal effort, do yourself a favor and purchase a Porter Cable DA random orbit polisher. It is nearly impossible to damage your clearcoat with this machine and coupled with the correct Foam Pads / Product will provide spectacular results. I am guessing that this is the same method used by n737nc.

I bought my black Mach1 brand new from the dealer I used to work at out in California 6 months after it sat on the lot getting washed every single day by the lot porters. Needless to say the paint finish was already swirled up beyond belief. I then in a moment of thoughtlessness took the car through a drive through car wash and made it even worse. Then I tried to use off the shelf products at the local parts store and got zero results. So I started searching online and found that most people recommended using the Porter cable with the foam pads to remove swirls.

I personally use Poorboy's world products and am extremely impressed with the results.

Not the best close up pictures but you get the idea.

Start off by washing the car and then claybar the entire surface

Poorboy's SSR 2.5 with an orange cutting foam pad will remove just about any deep swirl mark on the car. Then you can follow that up with SSR 2.5 on a finishing pad to clean it up. Then use a high quality polish (I use their blue polish) and finish it up with their EX to seal it. Then top it off with the Natty's Blue paste wax applied by hand and you'll have a beautiful finish!

The most important thing to maintaining your finish is to be careful when washing the vehicle inbetween detailing. Use a high quality washing mitt and keep two seperate buckets to wash the vehicle. 1 with the soap and the other to rinse the mitt out before resoaking it in the soap. Drying off the vehicle it is important to use a clean microfiber waffle weave drying towel.

Here's Poorboys website

PoorBoys

The model Porter Cable I bought is the 7424 but you can usually find package deals that are cheaper if you buy the polisher / pad kit together. Usually about $150.00 will get you a real nice set-up with all the foam pads you'd need. Then about $100.00 worth of product should last you at least 5-10 full details.

Well worth it if you want to maintain your paint finish and keep it looking sharp!

Adam

Adam,

Yes, I have one of these in my bag at all times. These Poter Cable polishers are worth their weight in gold around my house. I have 1 of these along with my Makita rotary.
On a side note, not trying to push Meguiar's on anyone. But, Meguiars sell this exact same model, only rebadged with the Meguiars logo on it. Porter Cable has a 1 year warranty(I think), but if you buy the Meguiar's rebadged unit, it has a lifetime warranty on it. Just food for thought if anyone is thinking about buying one.

Also, if anyone is scared to use one, don't be. These are very friendly machines. Not as aggressive as a rotary buffer. It takes a little longer to get the results that a rotary can give you, but it will come.
Also, if anyone buys one of these, and gets their products, I will be more than happy to come out and help you get through the learning process. Maybe if enough people are interested, we can get a small group? Have a class.......with beer

Nick
post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 04:49 AM

On my black V-6 we used a multi step set of maguires compounds with a buffing wheel and our dewalt drill after we used the mother clay bar. I did spend around 15 hours on the car (Nervous energy a weekend before surgery) and it turned out awesome...just thought I would throw that in

But of course we just took our time cause we were enjoying beer also...
post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Maybe if enough people are interested, we can get a small group? Have a class.......with beer

Nick
You can come over and polish my knob and I will buy the beer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement