A Couple of Questions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Thread Kill

A Couple of Questions

1) I keep seeing folks talking about a clay bar. What does it do and where can I get one?

2) I'm usually too lazy to condition my weather seals(sp) and exterior plastics. Do yall use anything special to do this or just armor-all?

3) How much trouble do you think I'm going to have getting a dealer to re-spray my hood under warranty? I just got an 05 a month or so back and I've noticed the clear is smokey across the hood where it wasn't sprayed properly. The car is silver, and the "smoke" is only visible in bright light, that's why I didn't notice it before I bought the car.

4) Should I condition the plastic lenses that are over my headlights? (the squarish lense that covers the round lamp)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Iamwaxman!

1- Clay bar is just a small block of clay. Very effective at removing above surface contaminates such as tree sap, paint overspray, etc... Very easy to do, but you must rewax your car afterwards.

2- There are all kinds of products out there for rubber. Just pick something that contains a rubber conditioner and UV protectant. Any auto parts store carries these products.

3- Not sure about how tough it would be to get a dealer to respray your hood. But are you sure it's paint failure? Could it be oxidationor something like overspray on your hood? Pictures would help here if you can get them. It may be easily removed without repainting your hood, or it could be paint failure.

4- If your talking about the outside surface of your headlights, you could put a coat of wax on them,or use a dedicated plastic cleaner wax.

Nick
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Thread Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc

3- Not sure about how tough it would be to get a dealer to respray your hood. But are you sure it's paint failure? Could it be oxidationor something like overspray on your hood? Pictures would help here if you can get them. It may be easily removed without repainting your hood, or it could be paint failure.
Nick
I'm pretty sure it is the paint beginning to oxidize where the clear was not sprayed properly or the clear is flawed . I'll try and get a pic of it after my next wash

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 05:59 AM
Iamwaxman!

If it's just oxidized, it may be fixable. Just post a pic and I'll take a look at it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 02:42 AM
IGOSLO

okay to talk about your hood....what do you mean by smoky.......is it milkish, cloudy, hazed.....there are specific reasons for each one....your paint could have lifted.....you could have had water inside part of it.....one of the underlying layers may not have dried enough before another coat was added......there are tons of reasons why things could go wrong...pm me or post a pic of it.....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Thread Kill

still waiting for the weather to get warm enough to wash it. I'm going to try Sunday

<< hates washing in the cold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement