best way to get dust off car? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
que?

best way to get dust off car?

i park my car outside of my job and everyday after work there is dust all over it(there is alot of construction in the area). would wiping/rubbing it off with a dry rag be ok? or should i try the ''slap'' method. basiclly i just wanna know if it'll scuff the clear coat with all the 'dusting'

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8driver
i park my car outside of my job and everyday after work there is dust all over it(there is alot of construction in the area). would wiping/rubbing it off with a dry rag be ok? or should i try the ''slap'' method. basiclly i just wanna know if it'll scuff the clear coat with all the 'dusting'

thanks
I would think water, but then again you are at work not home.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Banned

Buy a car duster at walmart. I picked one up for about 15 bucks and it works great and doesnt affect the paint at all.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Packin' up...

I've seen dusters for cars...

edit: ^
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:07 AM

Those are not good for everyday use.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:13 AM
4 Cams are better than 1

California Duster....AutoZone....$20.....it works great...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Iamwaxman!

For light dust, buy a bottle of a spray detailer(not the spray wax). Meguiars makes a few of them, and so do a few other companies. Use a high quality towel or microfiber. Just spray a little on the towel, then spray the car and wipe it down. Then turn the towel over and wipe again(dry). Work in small sections(2ftx2ft) from the top down, and continue till your finished with the rest of the car.

I've used the dusters before and never had any negative effects from using it. Although some people say that the dirt and dust particles will get trapped in the duster and scratch the surface. So use at your own risk.

I wipe my car down just about everyday with Meguiars Quick Detailer. Keeps it looking freshly washed with about 10 minutes worth of work!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Time Served

car covers work great.

Past
1993 Mustang Gt (Sold, AAS car of the month August 06)
1993 Trans Am 383 stroker 392rwhp 399rwtq (sold, Thank GOD)
Present:
2006 Harley Davidson Custom
2004 Passat (good on the gas)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 04:21 AM

x2, spray detailer is probably the best way & microfiber of couse, anything to prevent scratches

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
For light dust, buy a bottle of a spray detailer(not the spray wax). Meguiars makes a few of them, and so do a few other companies. Use a high quality towel or microfiber. Just spray a little on the towel, then spray the car and wipe it down. Then turn the towel over and wipe again(dry). Work in small sections(2ftx2ft) from the top down, and continue till your finished with the rest of the car.

I've used the dusters before and never had any negative effects from using it. Although some people say that the dirt and dust particles will get trapped in the duster and scratch the surface. So use at your own risk.

I wipe my car down just about everyday with Meguiars Quick Detailer. Keeps it looking freshly washed with about 10 minutes worth of work!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 09:38 AM
stangbanger racing

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced - 4V SNK
California Duster....AutoZone....$20.....it works great...
I agree. I have one along with the water blade.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Iamwaxman!

Just be careful of both. The duster needs to be shaken off after each pass to ensure that any large particles are out of there before you put it back on your paints surface.

As for the water blade, I'd ditch that right now. They work awesome for what they are designed to do. All water is gone with one swipe. But if you get something caught under the water blade(such as a piece of dirt that blows on your car between your wash and dry steps), you will scratch your cars surface your entire swipe down the vehicle.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Just be careful of both. The duster needs to be shaken off after each pass to ensure that any large particles are out of there before you put it back on your paints surface.

As for the water blade, I'd ditch that right now. They work awesome for what they are designed to do. All water is gone with one swipe. But if you get something caught under the water blade(such as a piece of dirt that blows on your car between your wash and dry steps), you will scratch your cars surface your entire swipe down the vehicle.
Yeah, be careful on the duster, but the California duster is great, just shake it off religiously. And forget microfiber in my opion. I use Meguiars spray quick detailer and a 100% cotton towel or baby diaper I carry in my trunk to get dust off. Just always inspect the towel for any particles, I wash it and use a new one after about 3 wipings. If any of my towels ever hit the ground they go in the trash.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Iamwaxman!

Some people don't like the microfiber towels. Guess it's just personal taste. I've used them for a long time now and feel they are better for the finish than the cotton.
Cotton and Microfiber both have good quality and bad quality. For the cotton towels, make sure the tag says 100% Cotton "Made in the USA". If it doesn't say "made in the USA" then don't buy it. Oversea's towels will say 100% cotton, but will still have some different materials mixed in them. Make sure it's thick and plush. Fold it over 4 times, and wipe lightly.
Microfiber towels are almost the same thing. Just buy them from a reputable dealer like Meguiars or someone like that. The ones from Target and Walmart are good for interiors, but I wouldn't touch them on my paints surface.

And like slow99 says, always inspect you towels before you put them on your car. If there is anything at all on them, either wash them or toss them in the trash.

Nick
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Genetically Blessed

True, about microfiber. I just hate them b/c it's so easy to pickup objects as they cling to them. Then it's next to impossible to remove anything they might have picked up.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Hamilton Racing Ownz U

Quote:

The dust and dirt scuffs that the duster may or may not do can be waxed out... I haven't seen any scratches using a duster for years.

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD
The dust and dirt scuffs that the duster may or may not do can be waxed out... I haven't seen any scratches using a duster for years.

As I said, I've never had any negative effects from using one, but some people say that the dirt and dust particles will get trapped in the duster and scratch the surface.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 12:42 PM
stangbanger racing

Garage
Quote:

Well, they are both about 4 years old & I've not had any problems yet...

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Lifer

i always used tropi-care spray detail and a microfiber. Worked wonders

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
If you call me, I'll have phone sex with you.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKStangbanger
Well, they are both about 4 years old & I've not had any problems yet...
why not just use some kind of "wax as you dry product?" i use a microfiber towel and after the wash i put a little bit of Armor All wax as you dry on (like a gell kinda) and it works great! has carnuba wax in it so its good for a polish i guess, not so much your only protectant. I ring out the towel after every section and go over it with a clean, dry towel. Even if i dont completely dry the car, somehow that wax makes it not dry streaky or spotty. i still might try the blade thing though... the shimmy is just such a pain in the ass... im probobly doin it wrong

as far as the dust goes, get a cover man... i know it may be a pain in the ass, but if it takes 5 minutes to put the cover on and 30 seconds to remove it and a few hundred buck, its alot cheaper than a new paint job and worth the extra minute...
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 02:22 PM
I Brake (For) Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEDA 05
Buy a car duster at walmart. I picked one up for about 15 bucks and it works great and doesnt affect the paint at all.
that is what i use. very effective and doesnt scuff the paint... its cheap too lol

Who needs please when we've got guns?
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 01:35 AM

I just park my car in the garage. I only have to go over it a few times a week and it looks perfect all the time I spend maybe an hour a week cleaning my car.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 01:50 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleSharp
why not just use some kind of "wax as you dry product?" i use a microfiber towel and after the wash i put a little bit of Armor All wax as you dry on (like a gell kinda) and it works great! has carnuba wax in it so its good for a polish i guess, not so much your only protectant. I ring out the towel after every section and go over it with a clean, dry towel. Even if i dont completely dry the car, somehow that wax makes it not dry streaky or spotty. i still might try the blade thing though... the shimmy is just such a pain in the ass... im probobly doin it wrong

as far as the dust goes, get a cover man... i know it may be a pain in the ass, but if it takes 5 minutes to put the cover on and 30 seconds to remove it and a few hundred buck, its alot cheaper than a new paint job and worth the extra minute...
Chamois ("shimmy" as you called it) cloths sucks. They trap dirt and crap too close to the surface of the cloth and scratch the fuck out of your paint.

California car dusters work great...after they're broken in. With the new ones you have to go very lightly over the painted surface, otherwise the wax in the car duster will leave ugly streaks on your paint. They don't lie when they said "the more you use it, the better it works".

Make sure and dust your car off before you use any kind of quick detailer.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 02:06 AM

I like california dusters...I think they work well when broken in as stated above
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 02:36 AM
IGOSLO

forget about all that, if you dont mind driving it home dusty....get a blow gun aka air gun... hook it up to an air compressor and blow it off....or go buy a car cover, and even car duster can scratch your clear coat if it contains enough dust in it... and never wipe your car off when it is dry....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement