Mequiar's Mirror Glaze Plastic Cleaner - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Mequiar's Mirror Glaze Plastic Cleaner

Ain't worth shit.

Brasso works better to get rid of the Yellow, it just doesn't last long. But Mequiar's doesn't remove the yellow, it just clears the yellow. It really didn't do much more than when I used soap and water to clean the surface before I applyed the no. 17 (unfortunatly I didn't think of taking a picture of that).

My old truck has the original head light (14 years old) on the left side, and a newer one (6 years old) on the right side which is clearer. Both parking light lenses are original (I think)

The Left Side order: Front Before, Top Before, Front After, Top After
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Right Side, Top After, Top Before, Front After, Front before (Actually works better on newer lenses) It actually did work great on the TTA's rear brake light.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Fear the lawn gnome

Ive always used that scratch x shit by them on faded headlights. It works good for me.

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:44 AM
Iamwaxman!

Thats not the product from Meguiars that you should have used. It is NOT abrassive enough to clean up headlights. Here is the product description from Meguiars on their #17 Plastic Cleaner...

Clear Plastic Cleaner removes fine hairline scratches from all types of clear plastic. Unique, non-abrasive formula prepares the surface for Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish. Perfect cleaner for computer screens, convertible windows, helmet visors, motorcycle windscreens, displays and instrument panels. This product isn't abrasive enough to clean up headlights. If it's safe to use on a computer screen, do you really think it's going to be abrasive enough to use on headlights that were as bad as yours?

You should have used PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish. Here is the discription on PlastX...

This easy to use, rich gel formula quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible plastics. Cutting-edge advancements in Meguiar's exclusive Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology, (MDAT), removes light oxidation, chemical degradation, surface contamination, stains and light surface scratches with ease. In addition, because our microscopic diminishing abrasives breakdown as you use them, PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish is safe on plastic rear windows on convertible tops, aircraft windows, motorcycle fairings, face shields, headlights and taillights, instrument panels, all clear plastic boat surfaces and aquariums. Meguiar's PlastX also contains highly water-resistant polymers. These specialized hi-tech polymers provide long lasting durable protection to keep your clear plastics clear and beautiful longer. PlastX is non-toxic and does not contain any harsh solvents.

Make sure you do your research on the products your going to use before you buy them. If it's not designed to be used on what you need, then you can't blame the product....can you?

Last edited by Nick Chapman; 10-28-2006 at 08:56 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:17 PM

I have used that Mequires stuff above on a pretty badly swirled, scratched up, and dulled plastic instument cluster cover. It worked pretty well actually but I was using a high speed buffer with a foam waffle pad. On headlamps I have had good results with Scatch X and just a fine cut cleaner with a high speed buffer. What is this Brasso stuff? Have not heard or seen it before.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Thats not the product from Meguiars that you should have used. It is NOT abrassive enough to clean up headlights. Here is the product description from Meguiars on their #17 Plastic Cleaner...

Clear Plastic Cleaner removes fine hairline scratches from all types of clear plastic. Unique, non-abrasive formula prepares the surface for Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish. Perfect cleaner for computer screens, convertible windows, helmet visors, motorcycle windscreens, displays and instrument panels. This product isn't abrasive enough to clean up headlights. If it's safe to use on a computer screen, do you really think it's going to be abrasive enough to use on headlights that were as bad as yours?

You should have used PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish. Here is the discription on PlastX...

This easy to use, rich gel formula quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible plastics. Cutting-edge advancements in Meguiar's exclusive Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology, (MDAT), removes light oxidation, chemical degradation, surface contamination, stains and light surface scratches with ease. In addition, because our microscopic diminishing abrasives breakdown as you use them, PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish is safe on plastic rear windows on convertible tops, aircraft windows, motorcycle fairings, face shields, headlights and taillights, instrument panels, all clear plastic boat surfaces and aquariums. Meguiar's PlastX also contains highly water-resistant polymers. These specialized hi-tech polymers provide long lasting durable protection to keep your clear plastics clear and beautiful longer. PlastX is non-toxic and does not contain any harsh solvents.

Make sure you do your research on the products your going to use before you buy them. If it's not designed to be used on what you need, then you can't blame the product....can you?
I did research it and was told it was made for headlights . . . if I remembered where I'd post up a link.

And I'm not a professional detailer either, so lay off.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:01 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
I did research it and was told it was made for headlights . . . if I remembered where I'd post up a link.

And I'm not a professional detailer either, so lay off.

Whoa!

I was just posting the info for the products. I was in no way trying to jump your ass about anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement