Saddle Soap? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Saddle Soap?

What do you guys use for cleaning leather before conditioning? I've been using a combination cleaner/conditioner but I don't know if that's doing a good enough job. Seems like I remember a couple of people telling me about Saddle Soap (might have seen it at Vatazone to) and was wondering if that's any good.

I'm mostly looking at using this for cleaning my leather motorcycle jackets but would use it on my vehicles as well.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:57 PM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Saddle Soap works great. I use it on my leather furniture when it gets dirty.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 02:44 PM
duh...duh....duh

I would not buy whatever auto zone is selling. I dunno why, but I would not.

I'd get kiwi brand from where ever normal stuff is sold.

I've only used it in the military on boots. No boot ever felt better then a boot freshly washed with saddle soap and then shined. Anyway, I'm no leather expert, but I'd use the saddle soap and then apply something afterwards. It only cleans and softens the leather. It won't actually protect it or anything.

My '03 Sold.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
I would not buy whatever auto zone is selling. I dunno why, but I would not.

I'd get kiwi brand from where ever normal stuff is sold.

I've only used it in the military on boots. No boot ever felt better then a boot freshly washed with saddle soap and then shined. Anyway, I'm no leather expert, but I'd use the saddle soap and then apply something afterwards. It only cleans and softens the leather. It won't actually protect it or anything.
If Autozone sells the exact same thing (exact brand) that Pep Boys or anybody else carries I'm not going to worry about. Appreciate the anti Autozone comments The only reason I shop Autozone is that they have a store that's open 24 hours on my way home. When working 13 hour days I've gotta find places that are open late because I'm sure as hell not getting up any earlier

Anyway, saddle soap followed by some good conditioner (which I already have). Thanks.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Time Served

Do NOT use saddle soap on your car seats. Saddle soap isn't good for modern, finished leather (most all automotive leather is polyurethane clear coated FWIW) because it's highly alkaline. The unfinished leathers of old did ok with it supposedly. Save it for your horse saddle.

Woolite & water is recommended in MANY owner's manuals, and it's effective and very safe. A 6 parts water to 1 part Woolite mix is fine for general cleaning, with heavy dirt you can up the concentration a bit.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stang
Do NOT use saddle soap on your car seats. Saddle soap isn't good for modern, finished leather (most all automotive leather is polyurethane clear coated FWIW) because it's highly alkaline. The unfinished leathers of old did ok with it supposedly. Save it for your horse saddle.

Woolite & water is recommended in MANY owner's manuals, and it's effective and very safe. A 6 parts water to 1 part Woolite mix is fine for general cleaning, with heavy dirt you can up the concentration a bit.
Well hell... I've got Woolite at home. Guess I'll give that a try.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement