Damnt - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Pitchin and flippin
 
slow55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Right here.
Posts: 5,552
Damnt

I just ran into my truck with the damn lawn mower and left I nice long scratch in my door. How can I get rid of it?
slow55 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 08:01 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
Ctrl + Z


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 06:35 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lewisville/flower mound
Posts: 1,518
If you can feel it with your fingernail, it must be painted. If not, then it might color sand and buff out. Do not do either yourself if you have never done it before. Take it to a pro.
kennybo is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 02:48 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybo
If you can feel it with your fingernail, it must be painted. If not, then it might color sand and buff out. Do not do either yourself if you have never done it before. Take it to a pro.
Good Advice.
gravygraber59 is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lewisville/flower mound
Posts: 1,518
I manage a paint and body shop, that's how I know
kennybo is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybo
I manage a paint and body shop, that's how I know
I'm the guy doing the work. What shop?
gravygraber59 is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Pitchin and flippin
 
slow55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Right here.
Posts: 5,552
I don't do paint and body work so there is no way I would try and fix it myself. It also left a small dent in the door too. I guess I will have to hit a body shop before long. I can't handel it looking like that
slow55 is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow55
I don't do paint and body work so there is no way I would try and fix it myself. It also left a small dent in the door too. I guess I will have to hit a body shop before long. I can't handel it looking like that
May be able to PDR the dent and dress the scratch where it doesn't show to bad. It's something that I or the person you choose would just have to see first. It also depends on how perfect you want it.
gravygraber59 is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Lifer
 
blue302stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Grapevine
Posts: 5,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravygraber59
I'm the guy doing the work. What shop?
Pro Care Collision in Flower Mound

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
If you call me, I'll have phone sex with you.
blue302stang is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Lifer
 
564826's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,332
Can you post up some pics?
564826 is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:26 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lewisville/flower mound
Posts: 1,518
Pro Care Collision Flower Mound, TX as Blue Stang pointed out.
kennybo is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Mustang_GT Gurl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow55
I don't do paint and body work so there is no way I would try and fix it myself. It also left a small dent in the door too. I guess I will have to hit a body shop before long. I can't handel it looking like that
I take my car to Perfection Auto Body on Denton Hwy In Haltom City
ask for Joie D
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 12:48 AM
IGOSLO
 
austin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,377
please call me at 817-689-3516, i will meet you somewhere and tell you what needs to be done, and the fingernail test does not work that well, be if it is the paint of the mower, or the clearcoat changed positions you could still feel it. i will help you out, i am in a paint and body program right now, i am repainting my '95 GTS.
austin is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 03:40 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow55
I just ran into my truck with the damn lawn mower and left I nice long scratch in my door. How can I get rid of it?
Meguires Car Polish and a High Speed Buffer. I swear it works miracles. Ran my car into a freakin house and Meguires buffed the scratches out by hand.
xarva is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:29 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lewisville/flower mound
Posts: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin
please call me at 817-689-3516, i will meet you somewhere and tell you what needs to be done, and the fingernail test does not work that well, be if it is the paint of the mower, or the clearcoat changed positions you could still feel it. i will help you out, i am in a paint and body program right now, i am repainting my '95 GTS.
There is a difference between being an experienced technician and someone who is reading books trying to learn. An apprentice/student has no right to say that they can tell you what needs to be done. Unless they slept at a Holiday Inn last night.
kennybo is offline  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 08:16 PM
IGOSLO
 
austin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybo
There is a difference between being an experienced technician and someone who is reading books trying to learn. An apprentice/student has no right to say that they can tell you what needs to be done. Unless they slept at a Holiday Inn last night.
Thanks MR. EXPERT, i have already done 11 complete paint jobs by myself, from indetifying, estimating, to doing the bondo, DAing, LOW VOC, to painting and wetsanding, i have over 700 hours in labor recorded, but lets take your word on it. i am in the damn class because..............you get free supplies and you also get huge discounts on paint and stuff from English Color, Sherwin Willaims, and Home Depot by the campus......not to mention using a paint booth for free. i have also fixed quite a few of my buddys cars in the back of my driveway.
austin is offline  
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lewisville/flower mound
Posts: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin
Thanks MR. EXPERT, i have already done 11 complete paint jobs by myself, from indetifying, estimating, to doing the bondo, DAing, LOW VOC, to painting and wetsanding, i have over 700 hours in labor recorded, but lets take your word on it. i am in the damn class because..............you get free supplies and you also get huge discounts on paint and stuff from English Color, Sherwin Willaims, and Home Depot by the campus......not to mention using a paint booth for free. i have also fixed quite a few of my buddys cars in the back of my driveway.

GOOD. I am glad that you are learning and want to pursue this as a career. All I was trying to say is that you are still learning. I do this professionaly for real money.
kennybo is offline  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin
Thanks MR. EXPERT, i have already done 11 complete paint jobs by myself, from indetifying, estimating, to doing the bondo, DAing, LOW VOC, to painting and wetsanding, i have over 700 hours in labor recorded, but lets take your word on it. i am in the damn class because..............you get free supplies and you also get huge discounts on paint and stuff from English Color, Sherwin Willaims, and Home Depot by the campus......not to mention using a paint booth for free. i have also fixed quite a few of my buddys cars in the back of my driveway.
That is great we need young people in the biss. Just keep in mind you will be working beside people with 40 - 50 years on the job. Personally I paint more cars than that in a week. And I teach people just like you on weekends at a DCCCD school. As for discount on mat. you get 10 - 20% off just like most.
gravygraber59 is offline  
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 02:42 PM
IGOSLO
 
austin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,377
I get 25% at sherwin, and my bud at english color gives it to me at cost . i will not be "in the biss", i do it for a hobby, i am in college going for Aeronautical Engineering, or Aerospace Science, and then a second major in Business, so in hopes i wll just pay you to paint the car. oh and does that mean that you have been doing it for 40 to 50 years, cuz if so, most painters don't live that long because of the iso's, and other chems. that means you would be like 60-70 years old. and if you are paying that much for supplies, damn do i ever have a hookup for you. and at the school, free grinding wheels, and hardner for bondo, and free LOW VOC, and deter. free use of the equipment, free use of the DA's, free stud, and use of the stud gun, all you have to pay is the $250 for the tuition and buy your paint, and sandpaper.
austin is offline  
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 02:45 PM
IGOSLO
 
austin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravygraber59
That is great we need young people in the biss. Just keep in mind you will be working beside people with 40 - 50 years on the job. Personally I paint more cars than that in a week. And I teach people just like you on weekends at a DCCCD school. As for discount on mat. you get 10 - 20% off just like most.
And if you do this as a career, i would think you would agree that the finger nail test does not always work
austin is offline  
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 02:47 PM
truster of no one
 
turboten5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Tx
Posts: 3,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow55
I just ran into my truck with the damn lawn mower and left I nice long scratch in my door. How can I get rid of it?
Dam your not safe in a car or a lawn mower...J/K
turboten5 is offline  
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 892
Good for you. The nail test by far is not fool proof just a guide. If you read my post you'll notice what I said about it. I myself have 30 yrs on the job and have a very good rep with all I have worked with. You are coming across as a bit of a smart ass for someone with basically NO training from this end. Hope you do better building airplanes.
gravygraber59 is offline  
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:42 PM
IGOSLO
 
austin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,377
i will be flying them, i already have most of the training...what shop do you work at/or own. my father and i have been looking to buy a body shop, but he is having a hard time finding one with enough space in dfw. it would be nice to have one to compare to.
austin is offline  
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 11:29 PM
IGOSLO
 
austin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,377
that comment was not to be rude, please do not take it that way Gravy, just trying to get a foot in the door
austin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome