Clay Bar??? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Clay Bar???

Ok guys, I'm don't know a whole lot about detailing cars. I've waxed mine a few times and other than washing it, thats about it. But I've been told that a clay bar will get these little "dots" off of the rear bumper. I figure its just exhaust, but I'm not sure. Anyways, if a clay bar will take it off, I'd like to know the best one to get, and the best way to use it. Any advice will be appreciated. And I was just curious if you would recommend doing the whole car?? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 11:41 AM

I used to detail cars for almost two years straight and the best one is Clay Magic's blue clay bar. Buy a small thing of it and some windex. Spray the windex on the spot and rub the clay until your satisfied, it should take anything and everything off. Make sure that you keep the area your claying wet with windex.

You dont have to use windex but it helped keep a more of a slimy approach to it.

Dont do it in the sun do it in the shade or in a shop.

And your gonna have to wash the car afterwards and a good waxing will help out too.

And depending on what your looking to acheive, doing the whole car will be time consuming, IMO i would only do it if you have some overspray or something like that all over it.

BTW what kinda car?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Time Served

Dont use fucking windex on your paint. And you detailed cars professionally for 2 years? You are now on the black list of people not allowed within 10 feet of any of my cars.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatDude
Dont use fucking windex on your paint. And you detailed cars professionally for 2 years? You are now on the black list of people not allowed within 10 feet of any of my cars.
Your crazy! Windex doesnt hurt anything it helps keep it slimy smart one... If your so smart name ONE chemical in windex that could damage it
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFormula
Your crazy! Windex doesnt hurt anything it helps keep it slimy smart one... If your so smart name ONE chemical in windex that could damage it

Red dye number 5, causes cancer in labratory animlas, and cars.

LOL, I just keep the area wet with water and a small amount of soap in it, or maybe the Zaino Z6 spray.

I think the only damage windex would really do is strip any wax that was there, but hell, the claybar is gonna do that anyway. Not any worse than getting overspray on your car if you use windex/windshield wiper fluid. That shit goes everywhere when you use the wipers and drive at the same time!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

its a yellow 98 GT, here are some pics, I'll post some of the spot on the back bumper here in just a little bit.

Last edited by SlowYellow; 07-24-2006 at 02:37 PM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades
Red dye number 5, causes cancer in labratory animlas, and cars.

LOL, I just keep the area wet with water and a small amount of soap in it, or maybe the Zaino Z6 spray.

I think the only damage windex would really do is strip any wax that was there, but hell, the claybar is gonna do that anyway. Not any worse than getting overspray on your car if you use windex/windshield wiper fluid. That shit goes everywhere when you use the wipers and drive at the same time!
My point exactly... i was trying to say i did it for 2 years and as long as you wax after wash it dont hurt. Also Windex would not be reccomended to be used on cars if it hurt because when you spray it on windows its bound to overspray!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowYellow
its a yellow 98 GT, here are some pics, I'll post some of the spot on the back bumper here in just a little bit.
The cars looks awesome i have the same hood BTW. Yea post some pics up of the spot and ill tell ya what i think
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Ok man I'm working on it
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Here ya go, pretty shitty, but you can see the black spots on the paint. Those just won't wash off. Hope the clay bar will take care of it. Forgot to turn the flash off, sorry bout that.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 03:18 PM

Yea i would try the clay, it should take it off. Do you know what the spots are from or...?
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

No to be honest with you. But I'll try the clay bar here in the next couple weeks, its going in the shop soon. New motor....!!!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 04:36 PM

Hell yea what you gettin?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 08:37 PM
CHAMPION

I clayed barred and waxed my car after I put the new motor back in. I started at sunrise 0615 or so. Didn't finish until 1430. Boy it looked good though!

2006 GSX-R 1000
2001 Mustang Bullitt
1992 Mustang Coupe
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Hell yea what you gettin?
I'm putting a 2003 GT engine in it with comp 270ah cams for now, ported and polished heads are next on the agenda!! I'm excited, hopefully push about 70 more than the 98 engine that is in it. That engine is such a pig!
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 09:12 PM

Hell yea i hear ya i got a 94 but im more in my formula ha GM BABY! (or am i allowed to say that on this site! JK)
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Yeah man its a touchy subject here. But after the heads come forged internals and I'm debating on a kenne bell (a lot of $$$$) or a procharger! Hopefully put close to 600 to the ground!! Long term goals though.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Retired race car

Clay magics clay bar is what i use along with the TC one...both 100 g's.

Good thing to remember is if your using a spray bottle...just fill it with water and maybe a little tsp full of your car wash soap. Make sure to keep the bar very most and lubed along with the area you are claying...I usually use the wash mitt and load it up. Just rinse off the area after your done and then re wash the whole car.

Do not apply pressure to the bar just let it glide and it will do all the work you need it to. If you drop it on the floor, throw it away. Just remember every few passes or so to knead the bar to get a clean area. If you need any help, lemme know.

Brian.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Alright man thanks a lot.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 10:23 AM
I voted for McCain!!

clay is the shit. I would use quick detail over windex with the bar.

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I'll stick to sanding then buff then foam pad it. Nothing makes a car look slicker.

In the, my project hasn't been driven in over a year club.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 06:53 AM
Retired race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque Overhaul
I'll stick to sanding then buff then foam pad it. Nothing makes a car look slicker.
I agree, but for the novice detailer...I would NOT recommend trying this on their "baby" with out some practice.

Wash, clay, wash, swirl cutter, polish, wax if you wanna.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Time Served

Will the clay bar take off hard water spots? My father in law sprayed down my truck with a water hose and didnt dry it. It left spots everywhere. Anyone know?

http://texasstangs.14.forumer.com/index.php
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White99Stang
Will the clay bar take off hard water spots? My father in law sprayed down my truck with a water hose and didnt dry it. It left spots everywhere. Anyone know?
You have water spots? If you mean hard water stains then there is a trick we use in the Marine industry use 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water on a rag and scrub. If it dont remove it then add another halfpart of vinegar until they dissapear.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Time Served

If you're willing to pay someone to detail the entire car, let me know. I recently paid to have my wife's Mustang fully detailed so it would look better when we sold it.

The car went from looking like a 6 year old black paint job to looking like it just rolled off the showroom floor, literally. I was pissed at myself for letting it go like I did (just did normal washing and periodic waxing). Had I known the clay bar would make that big of a difference, I would have done it long before it was time to sell the car.

Anyways, shoot me a PM if you're interested. This guy is a body man, just does some stuff on the side to bring in extra cash. And he's VERY reasonably priced.

1992 LX Coupe - just a few bolt-ons.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_92_Notch
If you're willing to pay someone to detail the entire car, let me know. I recently paid to have my wife's Mustang fully detailed so it would look better when we sold it.

The car went from looking like a 6 year old black paint job to looking like it just rolled off the showroom floor, literally. I was pissed at myself for letting it go like I did (just did normal washing and periodic waxing). Had I known the clay bar would make that big of a difference, I would have done it long before it was time to sell the car.

Anyways, shoot me a PM if you're interested. This guy is a body man, just does some stuff on the side to bring in extra cash. And he's VERY reasonably priced.
Thanks a lot man, but me and the car are in Virginia right now. I'm in the Navy. But if doing the whole car with the clay bar really makes that big of a difference then I'll probably do it. I've got plenty of time on my hands!!
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Time Served

Quote:
You have water spots? If you mean hard water stains then there is a trick we use in the Marine industry use 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water on a rag and scrub. If it dont remove it then add another halfpart of vinegar until they dissapear.
Yeah, its just has spots on it from not drying water off after rinsing it.

http://texasstangs.14.forumer.com/index.php
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCompany V.P WS6
I agree, but for the novice detailer...I would NOT recommend trying this on their "baby" with out some practice.

Wash, clay, wash, swirl cutter, polish, wax if you wanna.
LOL good point. I work in a body shop.

In the, my project hasn't been driven in over a year club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement