Cleaning Microfiber Cloths - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning Microfiber Cloths

hey im sure you guys use alot of microfiber cloths to do your cleaning on the cars. they work great on my windows and to clean wax off after i buff it. but they have started to get dirty. any special way that i need to clean the cloths? or can they simply be put into the dryer. hope you guys know what towels im talkiing about..thanks! (if you have eagle 1's new nanowax you know what cloth im talking about)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Lifer

Wash 'em and dry 'em. Just be SURE any hard residue is GONE, or you will be very unhappy if you use it on your car again.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Newb

don't use a dryer sheet when drying it. don't remember the reasoning, but i do remember being told that. microfiber rocks

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgeezy
don't use a dryer sheet when drying it. don't remember the reasoning, but i do remember being told that. microfiber rocks
Weird, cause i used them, and the towels are fine.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

hmm well its not like they are expensive..im just gonna do the old fashioned way and hand wash them..they are just completely filthy..i washed my moms car for her and she hasn't washed it since she got it so its been like 4 months give or take..and after i washed the car it was nasty..
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 11:47 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

The only thing you want to use on ANY kind of towel used on your car (Cotton or Micro) is LIQUID Detergent. Don't use a fabric softner because it leaves an abrasive residue on the towl.

I had been using Microfiber, but I'm going back to high quality 100% Cotton towels. I don't like how anything and EVERYTHING will cling to Microfiber cloths. If you drop one on the ground, you have to throw it away because you'll never get that thing perfectly cleaned.

The great part of Cotton is that it will pick up particles, but it won't hold on to them. The particles get removed when you rinse the car. Microfiber GRABS the particles, and keeps them on the rag, thus scratching the surface over and over again.

What's funny is I came to this conclusion because of the diagrams they use to convience you to use Microfibers, like this one:

See how the "particles" are sticking to the fiber? When that thing get's loaded up with particles (could happen on the third swip of a really dirty car), then the scratching begins. Their representation of what a normal fiber does I think is false, but hey it's whatever.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

hmm that is a good point. thanks for the help
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 11:33 PM
HPP = GHEY

Just throw then in the washer.... then dryier after that... no fab softner or dryer sheet...

Nick's Custom Detailing 214-205-1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybo View Post
Don't care if you do. This is not going to be another talk about Kenny's Cobalt thread. I know what my other car runs and I am proud of it. It might be hard for you to swallow that pill, but there are lots of 4 bangers that run 13s and better. SRT-4 Neons, Cobalt SS's, Saturn Sky Redline's and Evo's do it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
HPP FUCKED ME OVER!!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Retired race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
The only thing you want to use on ANY kind of towel used on your car (Cotton or Micro) is LIQUID Detergent. Don't use a fabric softner because it leaves an abrasive residue on the towl.

I had been using Microfiber, but I'm going back to high quality 100% Cotton towels. I don't like how anything and EVERYTHING will cling to Microfiber cloths. If you drop one on the ground, you have to throw it away because you'll never get that thing perfectly cleaned.

The great part of Cotton is that it will pick up particles, but it won't hold on to them. The particles get removed when you rinse the car. Microfiber GRABS the particles, and keeps them on the rag, thus scratching the surface over and over again.

What's funny is I came to this conclusion because of the diagrams they use to convience you to use Microfibers, like this one:

See how the "particles" are sticking to the fiber? When that thing get's loaded up with particles (could happen on the third swip of a really dirty car), then the scratching begins. Their representation of what a normal fiber does I think is false, but hey it's whatever.

If you wash and clay the car properly, the MF's should not get 'loaded' up unless you are not doing so or there are still contaminants on the paint unless you are just wiping down a dusty car...then i would suggest a different method.

I have had GREAT success with them and never had any put more swirls into the paint or scratching. I always keep 3 to 4 with me to dry a car, and about 3 detailing MF's along with some for the porter cable. I always have a clean side to wipe down/clean up when touching the car.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 09:34 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCompany V.P WS6
If you wash and clay the car properly, the MF's should not get 'loaded' up unless you are not doing so or there are still contaminants on the paint unless you are just wiping down a dusty car...then i would suggest a different method.
So you clay your car every time you wash it?

I'm talking about EVER touching your car. Cleaning, or just "shining" it when you get to a show. There's about a one hour "window" when your car is 98% contaminate free, and that's when you've finished clay baring it. After that, it's contaminated. The minute you drive a freshley detailed car, you start recontaminating it.

I don't know, that illustration just scares me that it holds on to the contamination instead of loosing it up for the rinse water to wash it away like Cotton does.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown4.6
Just throw then in the washer.... then dryier after that... no fab softner or dryer sheet...
Some crazy old lady told me the same thing at my job She kept alking about how to clean windows; "tell your mom this;" "I dont this for a living." The whole time I am thinking, if you do this for a living you are losing possible business in telling me your trade secrects

Doors Done Rite
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Retired race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
So you clay your car every time you wash it?

I'm talking about EVER touching your car. Cleaning, or just "shining" it when you get to a show. There's about a one hour "window" when your car is 98% contaminate free, and that's when you've finished clay baring it. After that, it's contaminated. The minute you drive a freshley detailed car, you start recontaminating it.

I don't know, that illustration just scares me that it holds on to the contamination instead of loosing it up for the rinse water to wash it away like Cotton does.

No I do not clay the whole car every time I wash it.

I do quiet a bit of detailing and claybar all the new cars that need it. On my own car, I spot clay as needed, especially the front and back bumper as those tend to be the biggest problems.

When you get to a show, do you bring along a 'detailing' towel of your choice and some detail spray? Or you just go to wipe it down?

I'd try different methods and see which fit's your needs best. I've had great luck using the M.F's. Good luck, and if you need anything just lemme know.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 02:46 PM
you cant see me

i only use microfiber to tax the wax off paint. then i throw the towel away. they are the best thing for taking off wax hands down.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrjames
Weird, cause i used them, and the towels are fine.
Sorry! I was confused, it's fabric softener that you don't use, I don't know what I was thinking.

<- avid detailer, and love micofiber use it for EVERYTHING
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 03:51 AM
Lifer

I have noticed when you use a dryer sheet, the MF keeps some of the product from the dryer sheet on it so when you go to wipe down the car with one out of the dryer there is a film left behind.. kinda hard to explain.. but I use them religiously keep 2 in my car at all times..when I take the top off, I get a bunch of dust and crap on my dash (black) so when Im done driving, I wipe down the dash and the rest of the interior. As for window, I always use newspaper.. sounds weird, but it works very well for some reason...

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Lifer

some online detail stores sell special soap to use on micro fiber, I have used microfiber and 100% cotton. I dont like any one more than the other, I use Zanio and I have been told the cotton works better, but everyone has thier opinion

here is a place that sell the soap, it is supposed to lift the waxes of the fiber.

http://www.specialtymotoring.com/microfiber.htm

05 GT, 07 Trailblazer SS, 04 Lightning

Past vehicles: 4 93 cobras, 96 cobra, 99 cobra, 03 cobra, 04 cobra,04 cobra vert 8 fox bodies, 3 94-95 gt's, 04 Lighting, SVT contour, 02 Saleen, 2 03 Mach 1's, 02 & 03GT's, 08 bullitt, 01 bullitt,65 Coupe, 07 si
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

for the price of the soap..you can just go buy new ones. not like there extremely expensive. i think i bought 2 for a dollar at walmart the other day.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Retired race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Town5.0
i think i bought 2 for a dollar at walmart the other day.
Quality of the MF towel is what your looking for.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCompany V.P WS6
Quality of the MF towel is what your looking for.
personal favorite:
http://www.detailcity.com/gold-stand...oth-16-16.html very plush i like the feel of them.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Town5.0
for the price of the soap..you can just go buy new ones. not like there extremely expensive. i think i bought 2 for a dollar at walmart the other day.
THose are scratching the paint,

05 GT, 07 Trailblazer SS, 04 Lightning

Past vehicles: 4 93 cobras, 96 cobra, 99 cobra, 03 cobra, 04 cobra,04 cobra vert 8 fox bodies, 3 94-95 gt's, 04 Lighting, SVT contour, 02 Saleen, 2 03 Mach 1's, 02 & 03GT's, 08 bullitt, 01 bullitt,65 Coupe, 07 si
Sponsored Links
Advertisement