proper method of buffing a car with an electric buffer? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

proper method of buffing a car with an electric buffer?

Im going to borrow my friends variable speed buffer to buff my turck. Whats the steps. Im not trying to buff out scrathces.Just want to learn how to use the buffer casue I think its looks better when done. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Lifer

If this is going to be your first time....good luck.

It's not like you can just pick up a buffer and whip out great results the first time. It's all technique. Some of the factors involved are the amount of head pressure you apply, the amount of abrasives your product has, type of pad, speed of pad, speed of your back and forth motions.

If you're looking to just apply wax and polish, get a dual action Porter Cable. It's very hard to cause any damage and once you get some practice, you can move up to abrasive products to remove minor swirls.

George
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:35 AM
duh...duh....duh

I just stick to doing it by hand...scared poopless of messing something up.

My '03 Sold.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:38 AM
The token Asian guy

Unless you're using old school paste wax, don't bother. All the car waxes nowadays come off easy.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:44 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead
Unless you're using old school paste wax, don't bother. All the car waxes nowadays come off easy.
They come off pretty easy, but it still gets tiring after a few coats. Especially when waxing more then just the body...wheels...etc Plus, if you do multiple cars in a day. A buffer would be nice....maybe I'll practice on someone else's car....

Hey propellerhead...want your car wax?

My '03 Sold.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:47 AM
The token Asian guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
They come off pretty easy, but it still gets tiring after a few coats. Especially when waxing more then just the body...wheels...etc Plus, if you do multiple cars in a day. A buffer would be nice....maybe I'll practice on someone else's car....

Hey propellerhead...want your car wax?
Only if you do it in the really slow wax-on wax-off mode. I read some stuff before that those random orbital buffers can actually glaze or burn the finish if you have it on high.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:52 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead
Only if you do it in the really slow wax-on wax-off mode. I read some stuff before that those random orbital buffers can actually glaze or burn the finish if you have it on high.
You read correctly. However, they can provide a better finish, faster...if you know what you're doing. The problem is, figuring out what you're doing. I usually like to put 2-3 coats on at a time. Doing that by hand wears me out...especially by the 5th or 6th beer...trying to stay hydrated. If I learned how to use a buffer, I'd only have to drink 2-3 beers.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:57 AM
The token Asian guy

I only do one coat at a time. The most I've done was one coat, then another the following weekend. I don't see that much change with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th coats. The Law of Diminishing Returns...

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 08:21 AM
duh...duh....duh

So then...mister....a buffer would not apply to you and your law...would it?

Back on topic....

I did a lot of googling when trying to figure out if I was going to use a buffer. If I were....

1. I'd re-research everything.
2. Not go with a real high speed (rpm) one...so I'd be less likely to screw up.
3. Practice on the grocery getter several times, prior to touching my pride and joy.
4. When I did start on mine, I'd start doing a minor area and make sure I got it down before moving on to the rest.
5. Have patience and time, it seems that when buffing you don't want to be careless.

Again though, I'm still doing it by hand...but those are my suggestions.

My '03 Sold.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Lifer

You cna use my car to practice it needs a paint job anyway. Hell I will even buy you the Porter Cable to use. My old one I chewed the power cord up when I wasn't paying attention and to lazy to fix the cord itself it was a sears orbital but still worked with the right 3M compound and some time.

The only pad thing is the mess with liquid abrasives.

The idea of the buffer is to gereate heat to evenly apply the glaze it is like polishing metal you are really trying to even outthe surface so that it shines better.

I had a link to a very nice kit came with PC orbital and some items to match extra backs it was like 175 somewhere very good kit with everything you need to learn how to burn your paint.

Doopie

99GT Vert
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 09:13 AM
duh...duh....duh

*I* might take you up on that offer. I prefer to try it on a hotter day since that's the type of weather I'd be doing it with my car. I take absolutely no repsonsibility for any "oh shits"...although, I would not intentionally f'up.

My '03 Sold.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Lifer

http://autopia-carcare.com/son-sfxpol-kit.html
I have been contemplating ordering this kit for a while.

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
If you call me, I'll have phone sex with you.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue302stang
http://autopia-carcare.com/son-sfxpol-kit.html
I have been contemplating ordering this kit for a while.
Thats it alright. Damn the price has gone up.......

99GT Vert
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 10:03 AM
duh...duh....duh

Yeah, that's a set of control arms or a line lock or something.

My '03 Sold.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Time Served

if you havent used a highspeed before, i would be very careful. my neighbor barrowed mine and it almost took his head off, but he was buffing his boat and the fishing hook decided to get involved.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcylvr
if you havent used a highspeed before, i would be very careful. my neighbor barrowed mine and it almost took his head off, but he was buffing his boat and the fishing hook decided to get involved.

LMAO!!!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

well Im ging to use it on my truck that I take off roading alot so the paint is already scratched up.After I get good at it on my truck Ill do some fa,ily members grocery getters. Weve got alot of junk caqrs at the shop so Ill have some good practice vehicles.
Everyone that is bad ass a buffing had to start somewhere and if they cn do it so can I.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 06:07 PM
look at em go

...With buffers..what you pay for is what you get. I've had some pretty shitty pads that have fucked up some paint real bad like. I'm finaly down to a nice pad..got everything there worked out. Norton has a system with 3 wheels and the same blue liquid stuff that works awesome for a show quality shine. Instead of changing the compound you change the pad.

Main points to remeber are...make smooth fluid movements...go up and down/up and down and then come back over it side to side. If you stay in one spot too long you will burn the paint. Ideally you want a buffer that has a trigger rather than just an on/off switch...if something happens and you have to take ur hands off the buffer, it will turn off rather than keep spinning. Use one 1/4 of the buffing pad at all times. Dont lay it flat on. Uhh and you have to learn to be fluid with it. Cant stay in one spot longer than the others or skip over other spots.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsidetorino
...With buffers..what you pay for is what you get. I've had some pretty shitty pads that have fucked up some paint real bad like. I'm finaly down to a nice pad..got everything there worked out. Norton has a system with 3 wheels and the same blue liquid stuff that works awesome for a show quality shine. Instead of changing the compound you change the pad.

Main points to remeber are...make smooth fluid movements...go up and down/up and down and then come back over it side to side. If you stay in one spot too long you will burn the paint. Ideally you want a buffer that has a trigger rather than just an on/off switch...if something happens and you have to take ur hands off the buffer, it will turn off rather than keep spinning. Use one 1/4 of the buffing pad at all times. Dont lay it flat on. Uhh and you have to learn to be fluid with it. Cant stay in one spot longer than the others or skip over other spots.
I bought 2 pads from Orielly's and some 3m Wax cleaner. One pad is Lambskin and the other is foam. I dont know what kind of quality the pads are or if I got the right compuns for it. Iv got some Meguiars gold glass wax and Zymol(blue stuff-not the cube) SHould I just use the was or start with the wax cleaner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement