Painter in Sachse - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Clown

Painter in Sachse

Anybody used or seen some work by the painter just across the railroad tracks in Sachse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 10:39 PM
look at em go

Go to MAACO or Earl Scheib...they'll paint your tires for free

havent seen any work from any painters in sachse
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsidetorino
Go to MAACO or Earl Scheib...they'll paint your tires for free

havent seen any work from any painters in sachse
Are they that bad?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 11:34 PM
look at em go

well, I paint bikes...and I find myself constantly making fun of both of those places...looking at work they have done going "Why the fuck did they do that?" etc. Alot of the guys there can lay some decent paint..but the bodywork sucks and the actual paints they use are crap. Go over and talk to the guys about price, the quality of products they use etc. I have a had a big problem with Dupont clears locally. It sprays so nice, but it will start to peel after a year or so in the texas heat. PPG or Diamont paints are the best way to go. Look around the shop, see that they are trying to use minimal bondo. (you cant do bodywork without bondo...even foose and coddington throw a thin layer of bondo over their vehicles before they get that glass smooth paintjob. People that decide to use fiberglass filler instead of bondo (alot of people "brag" about this) usually have no idea what they're doing. I've known quite a few people over at Roadrunner Paint and Body and will recommend them in a heartbeat.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Clown

Quote:
well, I paint bikes...and I find myself constantly making fun of both of those places...looking at work they have done going "Why the fuck did they do that?" etc. Alot of the guys there can lay some decent paint..but the bodywork sucks and the actual paints they use are crap. Go over and talk to the guys about price, the quality of products they use etc. I have a had a big problem with Dupont clears locally. It sprays so nice, but it will start to peel after a year or so in the texas heat. PPG or Diamont paints are the best way to go. Look around the shop, see that they are trying to use minimal bondo. (you cant do bodywork without bondo...even foose and coddington throw a thin layer of bondo over their vehicles before they get that glass smooth paintjob. People that decide to use fiberglass filler instead of bondo (alot of people "brag" about this) usually have no idea what they're doing. I've known quite a few people over at Roadrunner Paint and Body and will recommend them in a heartbeat.
I have heard that Roadrunner does good work. I have minimal body work on this car. It is extremely straight for an 82'. I would like to keep it under 1K so I am definetly not looking for something that came out of Tony's or Staurt's but I am not looking for a Maaco job either. The car is completely stripped except the suspension so I woulldn't think the prep time would be a big deal. Am I just kidding myself for this price?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 01:28 PM
look at em go

shouldnt be..It would probably cost about $400 in materials for the painter....If the bodywork isnt bad you can probably do it yourself. Bodywork is the most time consuming part of painting a vehicle. Just have to be willing to take the time to do it and re-do it until its perfect.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Clown

Quote:
shouldnt be..It would probably cost about $400 in materials for the painter....If the bodywork isnt bad you can probably do it yourself. Bodywork is the most time consuming part of painting a vehicle. Just have to be willing to take the time to do it and re-do it until its perfect.
Thanks for the info
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Lifer

I have been using DuPont since '91 and have not had one adhesion problem. I have even used their clears over HOK candies on my bikes.
I have used Diamont when I was at Prestige ford and had no problems with it.
I used PPG when I was at Randell Noe and it was pure shit, they have changed brands since. PPG sent me and wife to the Indy car races in Cleveland to try and sweeten the pot but when I got back the paint still sucked.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T's 82
I have heard that Roadrunner does good work. I have minimal body work on this car. It is extremely straight for an 82'. I would like to keep it under 1K so I am definetly not looking for something that came out of Tony's or Staurt's but I am not looking for a Maaco job either. The car is completely stripped except the suspension so I woulldn't think the prep time would be a big deal. Am I just kidding myself for this price?
Your kidding yourself. I think the cheapest you will find from a reputable shop is $1500(scuff and shoot). I believe $2500 is the usual starting price.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Lifer

DuPont and PPG are the same quality in my eyes. Now, you can get a bad batch which has happened to me. If there a adhesion problem, it is usually a procedure problem on the painter, possible getting in a rush and not letting the base flash properly or maybe laying on the clear too heavy in a short amount of time. Theres so many variables, it could be anything that causes adhesion problems IMO.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 08:34 PM
look at em go

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDPS STANG RACER
DuPont and PPG are the same quality in my eyes. Now, you can get a bad batch which has happened to me. If there a adhesion problem, it is usually a procedure problem on the painter, possible getting in a rush and not letting the base flash properly or maybe laying on the clear too heavy in a short amount of time. Theres so many variables, it could be anything that causes adhesion problems IMO.
I dunno, I do the body work...I seldom spray..got two guys that can lay down paint alot better than I can. They both used to swear by Dupont..they can lay it down glass smooth, but started getting clearcoat failures in, and wont use the stuff anymore.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDPS STANG RACER
Your kidding yourself. I think the cheapest you will find from a reputable shop is $1500(scuff and shoot). I believe $2500 is the usual starting price.
Even for a stripped roller?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T's 82
Even for a stripped roller?
I'm sure most ppl will want to see what they are getting into, before they quote a price. I learned the wrong about quoting prices with out seeing the car. I still say $1500 minimum. They have to paint all the pieces and its a inside out job (jambs and all). I'm just one guy, there others that may say different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement