Cost of a Paint Job - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Cost of a Paint Job

I just purchased a new 66 Mustang Coupe. It is in need of a new paint job, any ideas on what it will cost me? I want a decent job but it is going to be a solid blue color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Lifer

it really varys anywhere from 500-5000.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Where to go?

Any recommendations on where to take it to get a quote?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 09:54 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

how much you wanting to spend? That alone is going to make the decision. Maaco does $200 paint jobs and they spray the hell out of everything including you wheels, tires and windows. They dotn take enough time taping stuff off. They paint a lot of cars, so their painter should be pretty experienced. You can probably get a pro painter to do it in their garage for around $1000 and a shop to do it for $2000+

Any bodywork for the car? I have a couple 69 stangs at Hollywood Finishes and they do awesome work. Its going to depend on the bodywork and paint you want. Do you need the jambs and underhood/trunk painted as well?

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
how much you wanting to spend? That alone is going to make the decision. Maaco does $200 paint jobs and they spray the hell out of everything including you wheels, tires and windows. They dotn take enough time taping stuff off. They paint a lot of cars, so their painter should be pretty experienced. You can probably get a pro painter to do it in their garage for around $1000 and a shop to do it for $2000+

Any bodywork for the car? I have a couple 69 stangs at Hollywood Finishes and they do awesome work. Its going to depend on the bodywork and paint you want. Do you need the jambs and underhood/trunk painted as well?
i agree with the macco thing, and spraying every where is true, with that old of a car, you will either have to get it media blasted aka sand blasted, or do a chemical peel on it or you will never be happy with it. but it just depends on how you want it as to how much it will cost

02 GT BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-pipe, bassani mufflers and tips, CAI, 3:73 gears, accufab tb and plenum, spec stage 1 clutch, mgw short throw shifter, F1 racing fly wheel, Deep dish bullits, eibach pro kit, kyb shocks and struts, upr sub frame connectors

Fit to Fight, Fight to Win, Honor, Valor, Excellence!!!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:24 PM
Time Served

They do do media blasting but that gets pricy just depends on the quality of a job you want ie a show car or a daily if you want to go the daily route I can do all the prep work for you then you can take to someone to spray it to save some cash

2002 Mustang GT
1988 Ford Mustang GT T-Top built engine full suspension and 6 point cage mystic paint on weld evo's
1983 K-5 Blazer (for sale in classifieds)
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FST FOX
They do do media blasting but that gets pricy just depends on the quality of a job you want ie a show car or a daily if you want to go the daily route I can do all the prep work for you then you can take to someone to spray it to save some cash

Mediablasting and chemical stripping is hella expensive. Expect to spend anywhere from $900+. For stripco to strip a mustang inside and out it usually runs $1000. At $125 an hour its not a bad idea just to let them do it. I tried stripping 2 cars at my house and it was one hell of a mistake. Chemical dipping can be done out in Ft Worth but still runs $1000 and it takes a couple weeks.

Depending on the cars paint, it may not need to be stripped, its going to depend on the condition of the paint. If its flaking up and a mess, then yes, strip it down to atleast the primer, I dunno if I would go bare metal cause self etching primer is expensive and its just not worth the time and money. Take some pictures of the car and post them up so people can get an idea of what needs to happen

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Lifer

The etch i use..DE-17(diamont) and the activator runs $60qt. Its applied in 2 light coats and mixes 1:1 so 1/2 gal sprayable... more than enough to do a small car like a mustang. IMO it is well worth the money and THE correct way to start from a bare metal car.
You do know that you will have to spray some prime/surfacer right on top of the etch
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 07:07 PM
I Brake (For) Bitches

how did you find a new 66 mustang? j/j

to do it right, expect to spend in neighborhood of $5000 if you need minor body work. i know because i've been there in a 65

Who needs please when we've got guns?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAD2K
how did you find a new 66 mustang? j/j

to do it right, expect to spend in neighborhood of $5000 if you need minor body work. i know because i've been there in a 65
Thats about right.. For a decent shop to do quality work, paint alone will run you around $3000. Add in bodywork, and what not and thats what you will need. I have a car at Finishline in Keller and they do AMAZING work. His typical paintjobs with no body work run from $2k to $3k depending on color and how much work is involved. Bodywork and paint work everyone in the world seems to think its not to hard and want to skimp out on it. Well, after seeing what exactly goes on during all the bodywork and paint, its very very labor intensive. The great thing about a quality shop is the fact if they do enough prep and have it ready, you really wont need to buff out the paint. Steve (the owner) has a motto "we are paint to put on paint, not take it off"

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 12:19 PM
look at em go

Daily driver quality work, I would expect to spend a bout $1000 for paint alone. If you want a show car, its going to cost you $5000 or more, easily. No car that old needing paint isnt going to need body work. Most of the work that goes into painting is actually body work and prep work. I've spent 2 weeks prepping my bike, and I'm hoping to spray everything saturday. Sunday I get to clean the paint up (dont have a booth, so I know I'm going to get some trash in the clear) and hopefully assemble it sunday evening. I probably have a good 100 hours of prep work and bodywork on this bike. (and nothing on it was cracked or out of shape) just all getting everything perfectly shaped and smooth before the primer. All this work into one little bitty crotch rocket but in the end I know the paint will wow people enough to make it worth all the trouble
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsidetorino
Daily driver quality work, I would expect to spend a bout $1000 for paint alone. If you want a show car, its going to cost you $5000 or more, easily. No car that old needing paint isnt going to need body work. Most of the work that goes into painting is actually body work and prep work. I've spent 2 weeks prepping my bike, and I'm hoping to spray everything saturday. Sunday I get to clean the paint up (dont have a booth, so I know I'm going to get some trash in the clear) and hopefully assemble it sunday evening. I probably have a good 100 hours of prep work and bodywork on this bike. (and nothing on it was cracked or out of shape) just all getting everything perfectly shaped and smooth before the primer. All this work into one little bitty crotch rocket but in the end I know the paint will wow people enough to make it worth all the trouble
post up some pics when you get it finished!

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Lifer

8mgp there is no show car quality paint job in the world that hasn't been color sanded and buffed.

I was the painter at Prestige Ford and painted out of an $80k booth and we did minor sand/buff on nearly all cars we painted(14 some days w/ 2 booths).
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:59 PM
look at em go

no matter how good you can spray, you still get orange peel. It would make it so much easier if it wasnt a problem
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sDun
8mgp there is no show car quality paint job in the world that hasn't been color sanded and buffed.

I was the painter at Prestige Ford and painted out of an $80k booth and we did minor sand/buff on nearly all cars we painted(14 some days w/ 2 booths).
I have seen some really nice paint laid down without any sanding and buffing. A lot of places just dont prep teh surface enough and they lay down lots of paint then have to wetsand the hell out of it then follow up with a long buff. A show quality paint job will need sanding and buffing but if done right, you will do 25% of the sanding and buffing you would on most cars.

sDun - how fine do you sand your cars before you spray? I know most places stay around 600 grit and spray over that, at Finishline, all their cars get sanded to 1500 grit before the first color coat is sprayed. The surface is immaculate before a drop of color will hit the car. You should check out Steve's 55 belair and look it over, not a single bit of wetsanding and buffing is what he told me and it looks amazing

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Lifer

Location: ...not afraid to die because I know my true friends will be up in heaven with me.
Everyone is giving good advice but the bottom line is you pay for what you get.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Lifer

You sand with 600 for the adhesion, it has nothing to do with how slick the final product looks. If you finish the primer out with 1500 the paint will fall off. Sealer or basecoat uses a mechanical bond (sand scratch) for adhesion.

I can slick out clear over a 500 scratch just as slick as I can over 1000.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

I will post some pictures up tonight or tomorrow. This is not going to be a show car, but I do want to put some investment into a nice paint job (I think it adds a lot to the car). It needs a good deal of body work, enough that I was thinking of getting new body parts for some, I already have a new hood and will probably replace both fenders. Thanks for all the great advice... It is going to be a while before I paint it. I am putting a disc brake conversion and a steering kit on it first.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Lifer

I am currently redoing a 71 Dart Swinger. I am having a shop in Amarillo do the work. The car was an original paint car and had only a few dents a small area of rust behind each rear wheel. They cut out the rust and put new metal in, pulled the dents and worked those areas. They are also removing the vinyl top trim holes and the body side moulding holes also are being welded up. When all is said and done. The engine compartment, the door jams, trunk compartment, and the outside of the car will be repainted back in the original Red. It will end up costing me about $4500-$5k. And I am the one that is going to paint the underside of the car and the interior floorpans myself (with the help of a friend that used to paint cars).

Progress of before getting started and some more recent pics can be seen at
http://community.webshots.com/user/carcrazyguy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement