Dull Finish? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Dull Finish?

How do you go about getting the oxidation out and bring whats left of the finish back?

Should I use "rubbing compound" or what?

Also is it better to buff the finish back by hand or use a random orbit buffer?

I've looked at a few ROB's one was a 6" 2400 rpm another was a 6" 4800 rpm and last was a 10" 3200 rpm. Which would be the better ROB for buffing?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Lifer

go to a paint store and see what they have to say. I would say give the 3m microfinish compound a try. i had someone vandalize my truck and it etched the clear coat and this stuff took it out. it actually pulls small amounts of the clear off at a time. it was 20 bucks for a bottle. i used the microfinish, then i followed with kit scratch out, and finally zymol auto wax. the shine was excellent. you might also look into the mother's finish system. but i would definately invest in a buffer. it will make the job 10 times easier and save your elbow!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Time Served

Ditto with the above, you should be ok. I take scratches out of cars everyday for dealerships. When I come across one where the paint is dull, always my luck the thing is black, I start out with my wool pad and buffing compound which is a little more aggressive than the microfinish. Of course the wool pad is an aggressive pad itself. I only go to a heavier compound if the milder compound is not working.
Then go back with a microfinish compound and finishing foam pad to take out the swirls.

I'd start with a 2 x 2 ft section first to see what going to work before doing the whole car.

Oh, I use a DeWalt buffer, costs almost $300 though, but never go over 1,000 rpm though.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

So should I go with a heavier compound with this finish?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90CivicSI-crop.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	26656  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Lifer

You might be able to get decent results with a random orbital buffer. Looking at that pic, I think you'd get much better results using a rotary, wool bonnet and some heavy cut compound. If you're referring to the RO buffers you see at sears, walmart or parts stores(the one-speed type) I wouldn't expect much from those. They don't have the speed or motion necessary for removing defects. Also, depending on the condition of the paint, it may be too far oxidized to really save it. You'd just have to try it and find out. Where are you located?

George
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Time Served

i used meguire's scratch-X and then a couple coats of Zaino and now my fox looks sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy
Shutup bitch before i ram my huge cock in your mouth.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George G.
You might be able to get decent results with a random orbital buffer. Looking at that pic, I think you'd get much better results using a rotary, wool bonnet and some heavy cut compound. If you're referring to the RO buffers you see at sears, walmart or parts stores(the one-speed type) I wouldn't expect much from those. They don't have the speed or motion necessary for removing defects. Also, depending on the condition of the paint, it may be too far oxidized to really save it. You'd just have to try it and find out. Where are you located?
Ok thanks.
I'm on my way to Houston.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Old school 4-eye'd

My old BMW looked about like that when I got it, cheap paint does that fast, but I used a Miguire 3 part cleaner/polish/wax and a cheap buffer to get it really close to new looking.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93hatch
My old BMW looked about like that when I got it, cheap paint does that fast, but I used a Miguire 3 part cleaner/polish/wax and a cheap buffer to get it really close to new looking.
Think I'll give it a shot before I decide to do a complete paint job.

Thanks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Old school 4-eye'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedneck
Think I'll give it a shot before I decide to do a complete paint job.

Thanks.
I did that for that reason.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Time Served

super glaze by the wax shop is the shit.... watch out though with that paint, that is a lot of oxidation and all of these products will take all of it off which might leave u with hardly nothin left
Sponsored Links
Advertisement