Removing window tint... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Removing window tint...

I have just bought an 85 GT with tint on the sides and back (the back has defrost). The tint is old and the view is fuzzy through the back window. Can this stuff be taken off at home or is it better to pay someone to do it? And can the back be done without damaging the defrost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 04:40 PM
KEK

Pull it off yourself. Get a razor, windex, and a steel wool sponge to get the glue off. (if any)

03 Oxford White Cobra.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Lifer

yes, just pick at a corner and pull it off, and this will leave behind a lot of glue type residue, so what you need to do is get some sort of glass cleaner and spray it over the glue and put a piece of saran warp over it and let it sit. Wait about 5 minutes than take it off and wipe the area down, should be nice and clean. My car had the shit tint on it too, and cleaned up quite nicely after that.

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
If you call me, I'll have phone sex with you.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Lifer

If the tint is as old as the car, it's likely not gonna peel of all at once. You'll have to do a lot of picking and peeling. I've used a glass scraper with windex to remove the residue. The rear defrost is a crap shoot. It's been known to pull off some of the grid lines for the defroster. It should still work for the most part, if not you can buy a repair kit to fix any broken lines.

George
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks for all the tips. I did the passenger side windows already and had really good luck. The tint pulled off as one whole piece. I then used some goo-gone knockoff product and wiped the windows with that. I used a flat razor blade to scrape that goo. Then just a wipe down and it looks like new!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Time Served

just be carefull not to scrape off the defrost lines.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Is it cold in here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black01vert
just be carefull not to scrape off the defrost lines.
If the razorblade even touches one of the defroster lines, the line won't work anymore!!

[email protected] on some 275 60's!
http://media.putfile.com/Neely-tulsa-final-round001
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankustang
If the razorblade even touches one of the defroster lines, the line won't work anymore!!
it wasn't quite that bad on my car, i slipped a couple of times near a line and cut it, but most of the lines that quit working were from some of the line being pilled off with the tint. I ended up killing about 5 lines, I still need fix them too. To help peel off what tint you can from the rear glass, without having to use a razor much and stay away from the lines at first, then heat up a tea kettle and use the steam on the back glass a few times and it helps release the glue. Just be careful the window could shatter, especially when its cold...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Time Served

do it yourself

i always use a portable tourch. heat it alittle and then pull it off .
start in the corner and take your time dont get in a rush.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I just finished the back window today. I took some advice and squirted windex on it and covered it with a trash bag. I let it sit in the garage with the shop lights shining on it (to warm it up). Left it for 30 then repeated. Once warm all over, I started peeling. It came off (glue and all) about 95% of the window. Just some residual glue near the edge on the passenger side. Went very well for a large window...still haven't tested the defrost to make sure it works.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 05:58 PM
Bored

i have worked at a shop were they tint windows and i watch them all the time. if you touch one of those defrost lines it wont work anymore, get a steam machine go across the window slowly, let the steam set in, then peel it off really slow. it is a time consuming process, but that is why they charge to do it, the corner windows are fine, but if you steam the one then everything will still work and now lines will come off at all but you have to take your time.

02 GT BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R H-pipe, bassani mufflers and tips, CAI, 3:73 gears, accufab tb and plenum, spec stage 1 clutch, mgw short throw shifter, F1 racing fly wheel, Deep dish bullits, eibach pro kit, kyb shocks and struts, upr sub frame connectors

Fit to Fight, Fight to Win, Honor, Valor, Excellence!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement